This will get you a 3 month suspension in Italy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This will get you a 3 month suspension in Italy

Reaction Score
I disagree with some of the assessments. The Italian player initiated the incident. While running, she threw an elbow that landed. Hamby reacted and swung back. I see it as self defense.

Also so it's rather curious that there is no footage of the blow to the head. IMO it appears to be some flopping involved.
For years men and women who play in most of the leagues overseas share stories of the extremely aggressive play that they endure. Blatant blows (not hard fouls) that occur right in front of the ref with no calls whatsoever.

Reaction Score
The irony is Taurasi hit Hamby in the back of the head during a WNBA game. The abused becomes the abuser. Isn't that how it usually works?

Shades, I know that you follow the W closely. DT3 has a history of doing things like this. She delivered a few blows to "friends" this season. For the life of me I don't see how she gets away with it. (I know why the W looks the other way but the players?) She would do something like that only once.

Reaction Score
Somebody is going to risk serious injury in a fall like that in the hopes of getting a call? I'm not buying it.

Reaction Score
Somebody is going to risk serious injury in a fall like that in the hopes of getting a call? I'm not buying it.

We will see how quickly she returns. I'm giving her an 8.5. She did have a high degree of difficulty.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
What about the elbow the other player threw before immediately before the punch? Is that assault? I guess one should always confine their acts of assault to things that are plausibly basketball plays.

Exactly! She was elbowed first and there was no reason for the ball handler to throw the elbow that also ended with a full extension. Almost every time physicality occurs in basketball, it’s preceded by poor officiating with refusal to make calls and clean up the dirty play

Reaction Score
So, violence is acceptable if ............? Regardless of what happened before, what may or not happened, there were tow acts: a push(like) act, followed by standing menacingly over a player on the ground with little regards for their well-being. Quite unusual in European Sports.

Reaction Score
I disagree with some of the assessments. The Italian player initiated the incident. While running, she threw an elbow that landed. Hamby reacted and swung back. I see it as self defense.

Also so it's rather curious that there is no footage of the blow to the head. IMO it appears to be some flopping involved.
For years men and women who play in most of the leagues overseas share stories of the extremely aggressive play that they endure. Blatant blows (not hard fouls) that occur right in front of the ref with no calls whatsoever.

It's not up to the other player, Hamby or any other player, to retaliate. No vigilante justice. The coach should talk to the referees, and complain to the league and league officials. No one should be permitted to physically hit or injure anyone for a perceived, rightly or wrongly, infraction.

The Italian league obviously understands that, and that's why she's out for the remainder of the season, and also, reading between the lines, might not be given another contract next season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's not up to the other player, Hamby or any other player, to retaliate. No vigilante justice. The coach should talk to the referees, and complain to the league and league officials. No one should be permitted to physically hit or injure anyone for a perceived, rightly or wrongly, infraction.
The Italian league obviously understands that,
and that's why she's out for the remainder of the season, and also, reading between the lines, might not be given another contract next season.
The injury was not cause by Hamby's punch and I'm not sure the league understands anything- least off all that. What action was taken against the refs that allowed many chippy plays to escalate?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dearica Hamby should have been thrown out of the league for the season. I have always believed any player who punches or tries to punch another player should be arrested. It is assault. Don't even try to give my the emotions of the game BS. I played in industrial leagues. No blood, no foul. If someone hurt one of our players on purpose, this meant seriously violent retaliation. Some one from the Italian should have clocked Hamby but good. Serious concussion clocking. It is the only way to stop the sucker punching cowards like Hamby.
What about the elbow the other player threw before immediately before the punch? Is that assault?

I'll let the court decide.

I always believed every team needed at least one enforcer a la Jungle Jim Loscutoff (Loscy). I learned this from "Red" when I was a kid. If an opponent has no respect for the rules and neither do the refs or umps, then the opponent needed to be "educated."
"Celtics legend Red Auerbach loved fearless enforcers, and no player filled that role better than Loscutoff during Boston’s early years of success."
'Auerbach once said that Loscutoff had two jobs: “He was there to rebound and to make sure that nothing happened to Bob Cousy.”'
'He played a big brother-like role for his teammates; if an opponent got too physical with them, Loscy would be there to return the favor. That tough style of play eventually earned him another nickname: “Jungle Jim.”'
"Let the courts decide"? Pleaseeeee.... they would probably laugh at you! Referees are more inclined to stand up for you if you stand up for yourself. On the play grounds there are no referee so you pretty much had to stick up for yourself because going home crying was not an option -at least not for me. Speaking of Red, here is one of his player getting handled by one of the finest gentlemen the sport has ever produced, who had enough!
DR. J.jpg

Reaction Score

The Italian league obviously understands that, and that's why she's out for the remainder of the season, and also, reading between the lines, might not be given another contract next season.

The Croatian player should be under intense scrutiny and investigation.

She is the one who hit/injured another player.

There are rules and there is common sense. As a player/human being you do not allow someone to abuse you and walk over you. No matter the situation - in no area of living is it expected that if someone is assaulting you that you just sit back and allow it to happen.

The optics of Hamby standing over the player is not good. What is more damning is that the other player caused her own injury, was the aggressor and did in fact commit assault yet she is the victim and Hamby is the villain.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The irony is Taurasi hit Hamby in the back of the head during a WNBA game. The abused becomes the abuser. Isn't that how it usually works?

Heresy and defamation of a Uconn Icon. Diana T has NEVER EVER done an immoral, unethical, act or physically punished the player of another team--as a UConn Player, Pro, Olympic, Europe, Russia---a nicer more lady like woman will not be found in WBB.
PLEASEEEEE ---ask the boneyard for absolution, and penance !! Most here consider this a PERSONAL affront!!

Reaction Score
Clearly she doesn't know how to throw a punch. It was her left arm and right leg that put the finishing touches on the other player, already off balance and out of control, going down. The so called punch was at most a glancing forearm-with nothing behind it- across the other player's upper back.
InTENT----repeating intent--is necessary to show this was done with forethought and with the INTENT to inflict pain and mayhem to a lovely Italian young decent, caring,loving, child of a mother that worships the courts her feet pound upon. Fore shame---"so-call"??? punch--it was the intentional attack that was of a personal nature. Jail the culprit--put her in irons---if the attacker is an American--double that sentence and irons.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Italian player should be under intense scrutiny and investigation.

Just FYI, the player involved in the scuffle with Hamby (Ivana Tikvic) is Croatian, not Italian.

Otherwise I agree completely with your point.

Reaction Score
"Let the courts decide"? Pleaseeeee.... they would probably laugh at you! Referees are more inclined to stand up for you if you stand up for yourself. On the play grounds there are no referee so you pretty much had to stick up for yourself because going home crying was not an option -at least not for me. Speaking of Red, here is one of his player getting handled by one of the finest gentlemen the sport has ever produced, who had enough!
View attachment 26972
That was just Larry Bird EXAMINING the Doctor---reciprocity is proper.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Also, people may not have realized that Hamby has an important connection with UConn now:

Hamby is married to Alonzo Nelson-Ododa, Olivia's brother.

Reaction Score
The Croatian player should be under intense scrutiny and investigation.

There are rules and there is common sense. As a player/human being you do not allow someone to abuse you and walk over you. No matter the situation - in no area of living is it expected that if someone is assaulting you that you just sit back and allow it to happen.

The optics of Hamby standing over the player is not good. What is more damning is that the other player caused her own injury, was the aggressor and did in fact commit assault yet she is the victim and Hamby is the villain.

It doesn't matter that the injury was caused by the player's slipping and hitting her head on the floor. It was Hamby's attempts to hit her and trip her that caused the Croatian player to slip and hit the ground hard. Without the attempted punches, nothing would have happened.

Should the league look at the Croatian player's actions? Yes. But retaliation is never acceptable, and retaliation, especially when it involves throwing punches, is what gets the most serious punishments. Take a look at the Connecticut LL football championship game this year. There was some pushing and shoving. But it was the Greenwich player who threw a punch, which the refs saw, that got the 15 yard penalty.

No excuses for attempting to punch another player. None. Retaliation is never excused. Ever. And the fact that Hamby, even indirectly, caused that serious injury means that she, Hamby, is to blame.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter that the injury was caused by the player's slipping and hitting her head on the floor. It was Hamby's attempts to hit her and trip her that caused the Croatian player to slip and hit the ground hard. Without the attempted punches, nothing would have happened.

This isn't clear to me at all in the video. Tikvic first throws an elbow into Hamby's chest before the attempted punch, and to my eye she knocks herself off balance and is already on her way to falling before the punch is thrown.

Reaction Score

Should the league look at the Croatian player's actions? Yes. But retaliation is never acceptable, and retaliation, especially when it involves throwing punches, is what gets the most serious punishments. Take a look at the Connecticut LL football championship game this year. There was some pushing and shoving. But it was the Greenwich player who threw a punch, which the refs saw, that got the 15 yard penalty.

No excuses for attempting to punch another player. None. Retaliation is never excused. Ever. And the fact that Hamby, even indirectly, caused that serious injury means that she, Hamby, is to blame.

You're making the Croat out to be an innocent victim and that's simply not the case.
The Croat threw an elbow that connected. Her elbow caused her fall and injury. Attempts to trip and repeated attempts to hit the Croat? The clip I saw did not show any repeated attempts.

You are making a hard stance on a punch attempt but not an equally hard or harder stance actual violence to the head/neck area of a player. Go figure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom