This will be an interesting game for Karaban. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This will be an interesting game for Karaban.

Reaction Score
After watching PC vs Villanova and vs Xavier in double OT in their last 2 games as well as in their game vs us, I’ve come to realize how incredibly tough they are. Tough. First, all 4 of their perimeter players in any given lineup can do everything - hit 3’s, take the ball to the basket, and hit the midrange jumper. They all rebound. They all pass well. They all defend. And boy, do they scrap, and fight for loose balls. And their coach uss his bench really well, and he makes all of the right moves in the closing minutes.

I think we can beat them if we’re on our game, but this is a really good team.
I'll feel much better about our prospects of doing something in the tournament if we beat Providence and Nova. I'm surprised by how many people think we win the rest of our games. We certainly have the talent to do it but Providence is really good and Nova on the road will be tough with the way they're playing. Even St. John's on the road won't be easy but that's a game we have to win, that team is a mess.

Providence just has some physical studs in Hopkins and Carter who can beat you in a lot of ways, they're deep with their guard/swing guys and they're really good at getting into the lane to score or stopping in the lane and bounce passing to Croswell for dunks.

Reaction Score
But he took it to Clingan who many times didn’t foul and Ndefo got pretty difficult acrobatic lay ins over Clingans arms. I definitely didn’t think Ndefo had that in him, and I’m not positive his coach did either
I sure as hell didn't think he had it in him to finish those drives over Clingan after taking it t him.

Reaction Score
correct. For all that is great about Hopkins, he really isn't a good defender.
Actually last few games his defense has picked up big time.....villanova game was his best overall and defensive game in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Actually last few games his defense has picked up big time.....villanova game was his best overall and defensive game in my opinion.
In general he isn't, but last game against Nova he was solid and Slater was that bad, too, scoring only 3 points. Look at the Nova SB Nation to see what they think about Slater.

Reaction Score
In general he isn't, but last game against Nova he was solid and Slater was that bad, too, scoring only 3 points. Look at the Nova SB Nation to see what they think about Slater.
Not only slater, he was good on the switches altered and block some shots, a couple steals.......in general hes not bad but isn't the best, but again these last few games have been different, alot more active on that end......fyi slater has regressed too

Reaction Score
3 keys to beating Providence:

* Go double bigs ( know I’m beating a dead horse). They did this first half against PC last time and Croswell looked lost. I’m not sure why they went away from it.

* AJ must guard Hopkins. He had the length and athleticism to guard him (gives up strength, but so does AK, who isn’t nearly as athletic). Only other option it to have Clingan guard Croswell and have AS guard Hopkins. I know he can’t compete athletically, but Hopkins can struggle from outside. I would give him the 15-20 footer and body him if he gets closer, which AS can do.

* run multiple double picks for Hawk. Can’t let Carter deny him. Hawkins starting out with a few made 3’s is crucial.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Karaban will be ok. The one thing about Hopkins is that he tends to get lazy on both ends of the court and it’s been more pronounced as the seasons has progressed. Maybe he is tiring a bit.
The kid who scares me is Carter-the kid can flat out ball. He is getting stronger and more confident as time goes on. He’s a lot better than when UConn faced him the first time.
Hopkins will dominate Newton, NA or Joey C. Diarra may give him some issues with pressure but the kid is a PG
This to me is a must win and it won’t be easy

Reaction Score
Gotta try Andre on Hopkins. I think he can frustrate him and draw some offensive fouls out early

Reaction Score
I'll feel much better about our prospects of doing something in the tournament if we beat Providence and Nova. I'm surprised by how many people think we win the rest of our games. We certainly have the talent to do it but Providence is really good and Nova on the road will be tough with the way they're playing. Even St. John's on the road won't be easy but that's a game we have to win, that team is a mess.

Providence just has some physical studs in Hopkins and Carter who can beat you in a lot of ways, they're deep with their guard/swing guys and they're really good at getting into the lane to score or stopping in the lane and bounce passing to Croswell for dunks.
Agreed on Providence, but the PTSD on this forum vis á vis Villanova is laughable. 'Nova hasn't beaten a good team this season. They have lost to some bad teams. They are very bad by Big East standards, and abysmal by their own standards.

Don't get me wrong, they will beat us in Philly. But it's not because they're not terrible. It's only because I wrote this post.

Reaction Score
Karaban’s ability to defend Hopkins et al is probably number 71 on my list of concerns for Wednesday. Top 5 things on my mind:

1. Does “Rip Van Winkle” Newton show up to sleep walk through the game, or do we get the aggressive offense initiator version of Newton?
2. Do we get solid perimeter scoring and decent three point shooting?
3. Can we get double-digit fast break points?
4. Can we limit turnovers?
5. Can Hurley make quick, in-game adjustments or does he get punked by Cooley?
I’d put #5 at the top of my list

Reaction Score
Gotta try Andre on Hopkins. I think he can frustrate him and draw some offensive fouls out early
Hopkins can be susceptible to offensive fouls in the sense when he dribble drives he is so aggressive in seeking out contact.

Reaction Score

* Go double bigs ( know I’m beating a dead horse). They did this first half against PC last time and Croswell looked lost. I’m not sure why they went away from it.

* AJ must guard Hopkins. He had the length and athleticism to guard him (gives up strength, but so does AK, who isn’t nearly as athletic). Only other option it to have Clingan guard Croswell and have AS guard Hopkins. I know he can’t compete athletically, but Hopkins can struggle from outside. I would give him the 15-20 footer and body him if he gets closer, which AS can do.

* run multiple double picks for Hawk. Can’t let Carter deny him. Hawkins starting out with a few made 3’s is crucial.
or Alyn Breed. Both Breed and Carter were mugging Hawkins in the game at Providence, but at the same they are both very good defenders. I would like to see UConn use Hawkins as a decoy and use misdirection for Karaban 3 on the other side of the court from where Hawkins is running off screens. When Hawkins runs off screens all 5 defenders eyes are on him, which was especially true in the game at Providence, which will leave opportunities with a misdirection play.

Reaction Score
Karaban will be ok. The one thing about Hopkins is that he tends to get lazy on both ends of the court and it’s been more pronounced as the seasons has progressed. Maybe he is tiring a bit.
The kid who scares me is Carter-the kid can flat out ball. He is getting stronger and more confident as time goes on. He’s a lot better than when UConn faced him the first time.
Hopkins will dominate Newton, NA or Joey C. Diarra may give him some issues with pressure but the kid is a PG
This to me is a must win and it won’t be easy
Yeah that Carter is a baller and a very good defender. He shut out the Nova guards on 4 straight possessions were either Moore or Caleb Daniels backed him down.

The other guy that concerns me the most that no one is talking about is Noah Locke. He is like a Hawkins-lite. He is very good at running off screens. Always, always force him to put the ball on the floor and when he gets into the paint going left he loves that Dirk Nowitzi-like one foot fadeaway. Very rarely does Locke ever score going to the hoop for a layup or dunk like Bynum or Carter. If the defender is up on him at the catch he really can't do much, but catch and shoot is his bread and butter.

PC will definitely be tough, no doubt.

Reaction Score
Gotta force PC to hit 3s. They are so so there. I dont expect the whistle to get them to the line as many times as it did at the Amp.

Im honestly not worried about our Defense tho. Its the offense that scares me. We have been shooting it rough of late.

Reaction Score
Alex is going to be strong in years to come. The experience helps, but physical strength will be the difference maker down the road
I'd like to see him score more inside too. He does a lot of things right that don't show up in the scoring column, and he is very accurate from deep, but those 3-pointers are often late in the game- clutch whenever he makes them- but if he can become even more of a scorer, so much the better.

Reaction Score
TBH.. Don't remember.. Just sayin' that whoever is guarding him.. He frequently initiates contact (looking to get to the FT line) and could easily pick up offensive fouls.. Will be a key guy for us to keep under control Wed. Forcing him to give up the ball due to tough D will be important.. No easy task.. He's one of the best in the BE with the ball in his hands off the dribble.

I think you’re onto something. Let’s hope it works.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

We have to learn how to play against these overly physical teams. It's certainly been a point of weakness, including the loss at Seton Hall. St. Johns beat us up too. I believe we can win these games, because we have to. They have to learn how to handle the physicality, how to draw fouls and punish those teams that are less skilled. Have to make the open shots from outside and attack the basket.

The game at Nova is tough, but it will play to our strengths. They won't be hacking, bumping and hip checking, it will be skill vs skill and we are better.

Reaction Score
We have to learn how to play against these overly physical teams. It's certainly been a point of weakness, including the loss at Seton Hall. St. Johns beat us up too. I believe we can win these games, because we have to. They have to learn how to handle the physicality, how to draw fouls and punish those teams that are less skilled. Have to make the open shots from outside and attack the basket.

The game at Nova is tough, but it will play to our strengths. They won't be hacking, bumping and hip checking, it will be skill vs skill and we are better.

Agree with you about Villanova.

What do “overly physical” and “ less skilled” mean?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agree with you about Villanova.

What do “overly physical” and “ less skilled” mean?
Certain teams have less skilled players than UConn. Mostly, those teams are stronger, and more physical and seek to drive the game in that direction. Providence is one of those teams. St. Johns and Seton Hall play that way too. Creighton, Xavier and Nova are high skill teams that aren't as physical. It doesn't mean PC doesn't have some skilled players. I'm not saying that. But their main advantage is physicality, not skill. That includes playing hard, tough basketball with a lot of contact.

Think hockey of 20-30 years ago. You had guys like Gretzky and guys who dominated with physicality.

Reaction Score
Hard to get all 5 in the same game, but possible.

Getting PC in foul trouble by driving to the basket, and having AJ play like Saturday would help even if all of 1-5 above doesn't kick in.
We will need to have different schemes than what we did vs Seton Hall to free up AJ. Cooley will have them prepared.

Reaction Score

So if we go double bigs and AJ guards Hopkins, who does Adama guard - Locke? Not a chance

Reaction Score
So if we go double bigs and AJ guards Hopkins, who does Adama guard - Locke? Not a chance
I was about to say the same thing. Hopkins would get Adamam in foul trouble as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom