This will be an interesting game for Karaban. | The Boneyard

This will be an interesting game for Karaban.

Reaction Score
He had a decent stat line against PeeCee last game. 11 points. 5 rebounds. But he was also bullied pretty badly on the defensive end. Knocked into the paint and scored over. He eventually fouled out.

With Hurley preaching toughness all week, I think he will be a player to watch on Wednesday. He is a likely target to be leaned on. His response should be illuminating. Alex should be adjusted to the conference and how it's reffed. Just a little older and a little wiser. A good effort with better results would be a great sign for the Huskies. At this point in the season Calhoun always said there are no more freshman. This should be an interesting game within the game.

Reaction Score
Karaban’s ability to defend Hopkins et al is probably number 71 on my list of concerns for Wednesday. Top 5 things on my mind:

1. Does “Rip Van Winkle” Newton show up to sleep walk through the game, or do we get the aggressive offense initiator version of Newton?
2. Do we get solid perimeter scoring and decent three point shooting?
3. Can we get double-digit fast break points?
4. Can we limit turnovers?
5. Can Hurley make quick, in-game adjustments or does he get punked by Cooley?

Reaction Score
Might be crazy but what do you guys thing about Adama and Clingan together in this game? Hopkins could bully Adama. But we would be allowing Hopkins to shoot 3s. It also forces Hopkins to guard Adama. Advantage Adama here.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Rooting for Alex, he's been great and has improved defensively. Regardless, though match up. I wonder if we see any breathers for Alex with Samson, if he's healthy.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Hey man he’s been playing better defensively.

Let the chips fall where they may. Buy the ticket, take the ride. You will never see Karaban play again on Wednesday 2/22/23 ever again. Savor it.

Everyone’s gotta put on some 1972 Dead, drink a few DIPA’s, and relax.

Reaction Score
Sorry for being a debbie downer, but if Karaban gets left on Hopkins without a secondary defender, he’s going to get bulldozed all game

Will that lead to him getting rolled for 27 again, or will he take it in the chest and draw offensive fouls? To be determined

Effort and IQ can only get you so far. He can’t handle Hopkins alone. Need a second guy shading or ready to alter the shot in the paint. I’m sure we’ll get a much more favorable whistle at home, the officiating at Providence was really bad

Reaction Score
Hey man he’s been playing better defensively.

Let the chips fall where they may. Buy the ticket, take the ride. You will never see Karaban play again on Wednesday 2/22/23 ever again. Savor it.

Everyone’s gotta put on some 1972 Dead, drink a few DIPA’s, and relax.
Love the Dead and DIPA reference. Enjoying a Dollar Slice 99c from Other Half Brewing

Reaction Score
I think Alex has the potential to be a great player. But this will be a tough test. They bloodied his nose a little last time out. Be nice to see him get payback.

Reaction Score
After watching PC vs Villanova and vs Xavier in double OT in their last 2 games as well as in their game vs us, I’ve come to realize how incredibly tough they are. Tough. First, all 4 of their perimeter players in any given lineup can do everything - hit 3’s, take the ball to the basket, and hit the midrange jumper. They all rebound. They all pass well. They all defend. And boy, do they scrap, and fight for loose balls. And their coach uss his bench really well, and he makes all of the right moves in the closing minutes.

I think we can beat them if we’re on our game, but this is a really good team.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Alex is going to be strong in years to come. The experience helps, but physical strength will be the difference maker down the road

Reaction Score
Karaban’s ability to defend Hopkins et al is probably number 71 on my list of concerns for Wednesday. Top 5 things on my mind:

1. Does “Rip Van Winkle” Newton show up to sleep walk through the game, or do we get the aggressive offense initiator version of Newton?
2. Do we get solid perimeter scoring and decent three point shooting?
3. Can we get double-digit fast break points?
4. Can we limit turnovers?
5. Can Hurley make quick, in-game adjustments or does he get punked by Cooley?
Hard to get all 5 in the same game, but possible.

Getting PC in foul trouble by driving to the basket, and having AJ play like Saturday would help even if all of 1-5 above doesn't kick in.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He really has played well on defense the past few games. Hopkins is a different beast though. There is a reason he is near the top in scoring in the BE.
He has been better, but it's no coincidence that Ndefo was Seton Hall's leading scorer for most of the game. Hopkins is an even greater challenge, bigger, stronger, more athletic. It's a problem, and we really need to attack Hopkins on the defensive end, get a foul and then draw a charge and you take him off the court. Need to make him worry about offensive fouls.

Reaction Score
After watching PC vs Villanova and vs Xavier in double OT in their last 2 games as well as in their game vs us, I’ve come to realize how incredibly tough they are. Tough. First, all 4 of their perimeter players in any given lineup can do everything - hit 3’s, take the ball to the basket, and hit the midrange jumper. They all rebound. They all pass well. They all defend. And boy, do they scrap, and fight for loose balls. And their coach uss his bench really well, and he makes all of the right moves in the closing minutes.

I think we can beat them if we’re on our game, but this is a really good team.
very true, I watch a lot of Providence games. Nova tried their bully ball tactics of posting up opposing guards with Justin Moore and Caleb Daniels against Devin Carter 4 times in a row in the game on Saturday and Carter shut them out. He had Daniels locked up good.

caw

Reaction Score
He has been better, but it's no coincidence that Ndefo was Seton Hall's leading scorer for most of the game. Hopkins is an even greater challenge, bigger, stronger, more athletic. It's a problem, and we really need to attack Hopkins on the defensive end, get a foul and then draw a charge and you take him off the court. Need to make him worry about offensive fouls.

I could be wrong but didn't Ndefo score a bunch on Clingan?

Reaction Score
correct. For all that is great about Hopkins, he really isn't a good defender.

Reaction Score
Hopkins can be susceptible to offensive fouls when he's looking for his shots.. Initiates a lot of contact.. Since we're at home Wed.. Perhaps AK can pick up some charges off of Hopkins action and send him to the bench for an extended breather.

Also don't see AK on him for entire game..

Reaction Score
Hopkins can be susceptible to offensive fouls when he's looking for his shots.. Initiates a lot of contact.. Since we're at home Wed.. Perhaps AK can pick up some charges off of Hopkins action and send him to the bench for an extended breather.

Also don't see AK on him for entire game..

Didn’t Hopkins foul out against us last game? I believe it was with only a minute to go and after he played 34 minutes, so it wasn’t much of a factor

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
he did, he took it right at Clingan.
Yes, as I said about Clingan, the BE coaches have figured out that if you run an athletic forward or big guard at him, he's frequently going to foul them. Post defense against other bigs is great, but he's not really quick enough against wings.

Reaction Score
Ndefo had the best 20 minutes of his career yesterday, making a bunch of shots he had no business making. And a few of those came over the top of Clingan, not AK

Everyone in the gym knows Hopkins is going to take the ball and try to run his way right through Karaban. Should be able to draw 1-2 offensive fouls by just standing straight up and taking the hit. AK’s defense has been improved recently, but he still needs to learn when to take the contact and draw the foul

Reaction Score
Yes, as I said about Clingan, the BE coaches have figured out that if you run an athletic forward or big guard at him, he's frequently going to foul them. Post defense against other bigs is great, but he's not really quick enough against wings.
But he took it to Clingan who many times didn’t foul and Ndefo got pretty difficult acrobatic lay ins over Clingans arms. I definitely didn’t think Ndefo had that in him, and I’m not positive his coach did either

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
But he took it to Clingan who many times didn’t foul and Ndefo got pretty difficult acrobatic lay ins over Clingans arms. I definitely didn’t think Ndefo had that in him, and I’m not positive his coach did either
Yes, he's adapting and getting better at not fouling those guys. Realizing that he doesn't need to block everything, just make it harder. It's a progression. Freshman big has a huge impact, teams adjust to him, and now he's adjusting back. I'm sure he's working hard with the staff on all of that. Should have a big role vs PC, we need to force them to shoot jump shots.

Reaction Score
Didn’t Hopkins foul out against us last game? I believe it was with only a minute to go and after he played 34 minutes, so it wasn’t much of a factor
TBH.. Don't remember.. Just sayin' that whoever is guarding him.. He frequently initiates contact (looking to get to the FT line) and could easily pick up offensive fouls.. Will be a key guy for us to keep under control Wed. Forcing him to give up the ball due to tough D will be important.. No easy task.. He's one of the best in the BE with the ball in his hands off the dribble.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom