This UCLA coaching search | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This UCLA coaching search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCLA woulda been perfect for the Squid had he not stolen gotten the UK gig...
Tinseltown for the shady bastid = match made in hell!

Gotta be honest; I would love to see Cal there just for the theatre. And to watch UCLA go down once and for all

Reaction Score
UCLA, being governed by the Cal. state university system (which has its own financial problems), can't really pay the freight for a Pitino or a Calipari. Greg Marshall from Wichita maybe.

Reaction Score
Gotta be honest; I would love to see Cal there just for the theatre. And to watch UCLA go down once and for all
That's exactly why I'm really hoping for this.

Reaction Score
I imagine that considering what happened to Howland; as much success in ten years as anyone who did not win a title (and there have been quite a few situations where a very good coach has done quite well for a decade yet has not won a title), a coach like Smart or Stevens is being wise by using caution when UCLA calls.

This is what I thought as well. The danger to firing Howland after this season is coaches aren't going to trust that administration to give them any leeway, either.

Now they traded Howland for Alford and spent a bunch of money doing it. I don't see how they upgraded.

Reaction Score
This is what I thought as well. The danger to firing Howland after this season is coaches aren't going to trust that administration to give them any leeway, either.

Now they traded Howland for Alford and spent a bunch of money doing it. I don't see how they upgraded.
I think they had to get rid of Howland for things that took place off the court. As has been mentioned here before, he lost control of that program and made all sorts of strange decisions in an effort to win a title. Howland really sold his soul, so badly that I think they may have fired him even if he went to the S16. That Sports Illustrated article that came out last year was a huge embarrassment to a very proud university.

So while I don't think Alford was an upgrade, I do understand why Howland needed to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom