This team will never take the next step with Hurley as coach | Page 9 | The Boneyard

This team will never take the next step with Hurley as coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just can't believe that these idiots actually want to jump on Hurley. Where would we go? Who would we bring in? He's done a hell of a job in two and a half years most of which has been riddled with a global pandemic. Take a Xanax.

Anyone calling for Hurley to be fired should be ignored. The defensiveness after any semblance of criticism is weird and delusional.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Late to this party...but the team went from getting embarrassed every other game a few years ago to having a cup of tea in the Top 25 this year before our best player went down for over a month. Barring injuries and a bad luck, I think we would be at worst a Top 15 team right now. IMO that's the direction in which I want to be going. I still yell at the TV but it's definitely not as much as the later Days of KO...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think there are few fanbases that understand this better than ours.

Those of us whose interest in the team predates Calhoun appreciate fully well the struggle and journey. In all honesty, as sad as it may sound in the scheme of things, there are few things that have brought me more pleasure in life than UConn basketball, precisely because our story is so freaking great.

Unfortunately, that type of success can lead to expectations that make it difficult for some to enjoy the journey when it doesn't lead to the post-season, for repeated seasons.

But even when you do still appreciate the journey, championships are always the goal.

You, like me, were probably sitting in the Field House in 1984, watching us go 13-15 and only 6-10 in the Big East. Before that it was worse still, but I watched and cheered on those guys. I still remember their names. Then in 87-88, a miracle happened. It was only an NIT championship, but it felt like more. It was distilled hope, and we drank it down while burning furniture in the Jungle quad.

Hurley rekindled the spark of hope that really started with that season. It hasn't gone out. It has gotten a little brighter each year. Bonfires will follow.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You, like me, were probably sitting in the Field House in 1984, watching us go 13-15 and only 6-10 in the Big East. Before that it was worse still, but I watched and cheered on those guys. I still remember their names. Then in 87-88, a miracle happened. It was only an NIT championship, but it felt like more. It was distilled hope, and we drank it down while burning furniture in the Jungle quad.

Hurley rekindled the spark of hope that really started with that season. It hasn't gone out. It has gotten a little brighter each year. Bonfires will follow.

Apropos of nothing, I will never get used The Jungle or Frats being called anything except The Jungle or Frats.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Late to this party...but the team went from getting embarrassed every other game a few years ago to having a cup of tea in the Top 25 this year before our best player went down for over a month. Barring injuries and a bad luck, I think we would be at worst a Top 15 team right now. IMO that's the direction in which I want to be going. I still yell at the TV but it's definitely not as much as the later Days of KO...
Agreed. Anyone else remember sitting through back to back embarrassing annihilations - real annihilations - at the XL to Wichita and then Nova? That doesn't happen anymore. We were ranked and our best player - possibly the leagues (BE, not AAC) best player - missed extended time. Let's pump the breaks putting Hurley in the hot seat @BostonBay. Have you gotten any nasty DM's today? lol

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Another Hurley = Calhoun argument.

People were saying that when Calhoun had lost three Elite 8 and three Sweet 16 games. Those are big games. What is Hurley's record in the second weekend of the Tournament?
Ridiculous analogy, Hurley simply doesn't have the time in yet.

And there's no way I think he's going to be as good as my avatar. I'm just pointing out silly people were bashing the GOAT too. It happens

Reaction Score
We played like crap against Nova but am I the only one who thinks we can beat them if we get another shot? I’m curious to see how the team responds tonight on the road again. Oh and I’m a big Hurley guy

Reaction Score
Whenever I see Adama running up to the player at the top of the key, he comes so close to getting a foul called .... yeah not sure either why - then has to sprint all the way back leaving his guy so far.
That’s what he’s being taught. Whaley excels at it. The problem is that opposing teams barely screen with Whaley’s man anymore. Adama is actually getting better at it but is still not good.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
how about peeps just stop replying to this dumpster fire of a post so it gets buried?

Reaction Score
I never said Hurley is as great as Calhoun. I'm just pointing out that Hurley was hired for a rebuild. The program was in pieces and in a conference that the top recruits just didn't want to play in.

1st year he brings in Adams
2nd Bouknight, Akok, Gaffney
3rd Sanogo, Cole, Jackson, Martin

The last two season are covid affected. He's recruiting well. He has a promising 3 recruits for next year.

Ollie's failure goes beyond his inability to recruit and keep players in the program. The messy way he departed UConn has been another obstacle for Hurley that should not be underestimated. There were some players who were just going to stay clear of the program.

I was just pointing out that it is early yet. He's had what... really less than 2 1/2 years worth of games? He may make some mistakes (which he needs to clean up going forward), but the guys play hard for him and I have not seen a team of his give up.

Reaction Score
He’s making $3 million a year. It’s fair to criticize him where and when it’s warranted. They are better on defense but I can’t name a player who is a significantly better offensive player now than they were before they met him. And after jumping all over Gtown to start the game I’m watching now they finish the first half with only 25 points. Why?

Reaction Score
Just played a terrible first half in must win game and Hurley called no timeouts as the lead dwindled.

Reaction Score
He’s making $3 million a year. It’s fair to criticize him where and when it’s warranted. They are better on defense but I can’t name a player who is a significantly better offensive player now than they were before they met him. And after jumping all over Gtown to start the game I’m watching now they finish the first half with only 25 points. Why?
To answer your question, My insider sources have confirmed to me that Hurley has them spend one hour during each practice deliberately missing 5 foot bunny layups over and over until they get it right 10 out of 10 times.

Reaction Score
To answer your question, My insider sources have confirmed to me that Hurley has them spend one hour during each practice deliberately missing 5 foot bunny layups over and over until they get it right 10 out of 10 times.
That’s just crap. What I just witnessed was a team completely disorganized, out of sync and clueless for very long stretches. That’s coaching. Period. Give me a break.

Reaction Score
I never said Hurley is as great as Calhoun. I'm just pointing out that Hurley was hired for a rebuild. The program was in pieces and in a conference that the top recruits just didn't want to play in.

1st year he brings in Adams
2nd Bouknight, Akok, Gaffney
3rd Sanogo, Cole, Jackson, Martin

The last two season are covid affected. He's recruiting well. He has a promising 3 recruits for next year.

Ollie's failure goes beyond his inability to recruit and keep players in the program. The messy way he departed UConn has been another obstacle for Hurley that should not be underestimated. There were some players who were just going to stay clear of the program.

I was just pointing out that it is early yet. He's had what... really less than 2 1/2 years worth of games? He may make some mistakes (which he needs to clean up going forward), but the guys play hard for him and I have not seen a team of his give up.
Hurley will never be Calhoun. Heck he probably is not as good a coach as his father. Yes, he seems to have instilled a better work ethic and his kids try hard. But he talks about this rebuild like it’s a 20 year master plan. Great coaches in other sports don’t do that. They make take a year, but that’s it. Hurley isn’t the answer

Reaction Score
How about some more Hurley excuses??
the league
the Refs
Covid

The handwriting is on th wall people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors