This team will never take the next step with Hurley as coach | Page 7 | The Boneyard

This team will never take the next step with Hurley as coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For example, you might see something like his teams move from 85th to 64th to 47th in offensive efficiency as he got better talent in the program
Maybe some day he’ll have enough talent to put together a team that’s top 100 in eFG %.

Reaction Score
Hurely doing great job bringing in D1 power conference talent. Expectations in year 2 seem a little unrealistic for some here.

Only thing that drives me nuts watching is when UConn double teams at top of key with their center. Nothing good every coms out of it. Just sprinting to cover wide open man down low or they give help to guy open down low and leave guy wide open on perimeter. Seems they do this ever position. Maybe someone here can help me understand the point of it.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Hurely doing great job bringing in D1 power conference talent. Expectations in year 2 seem a little unrealistic for some here.

Only thing that drives me nuts watching is when UConn double teams at top of key with their center. Nothing good every coms out of it. Just sprinting to cover wide open man down low or they give help to guy open down low and leave guy wide open on perimeter. Seems they do this ever position. Maybe someone here can help me understand the point of it.

Whenever I see Adama running up to the player at the top of the key, he comes so close to getting a foul called .... yeah not sure either why - then has to sprint all the way back leaving his guy so far.

Reaction Score

Sanogo/ Carlton are the only players that have trouble with it. Akok when healthy should thrive in it.

Next year, Carlton is gone. And based off of what I saw against Nova...Sanogo has much quicker feet than I thought....just needs some time.

The reasoning for us using it so much is it creates a ton of long, cross lane passes that are easy to steal and move into transition. It amazing defense, we're just a bigger guard and a more mobile big man away from it being lethal.

Edit: we also need players making tough layups in transition from time to time too for it to be most effective.

Reaction Score

With Whaley at the 5 it’s ok but with Sanogo he’s just not quick enough right now for that
Isn't this year three?
it’s coming though don’t worry

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I remember when people were saying the same thing about Jim Calhoun. He can't win the big one

No joke

Hurley has had two classes for heaven's sake, this type of thinking is beyond silly

Another Hurley = Calhoun argument.

People were saying that when Calhoun had lost three Elite 8 and three Sweet 16 games. Those are big games. What is Hurley's record in the second weekend of the Tournament?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sanogo/ Carlton are the only players that have trouble with it. Akok when healthy should thrive in it.

Next year, Carlton is gone. And based off of what I saw against Nova...Sanogo has much quicker feet than I thought....just needs some time.

The reasoning for us using it so much is it creates a ton of long, cross lane passes that are easy to steal and move into transition. It amazing defense, we're just a bigger guard and a more mobile big man away from it being lethal.

Edit: we also need players making tough layups in transition from time to time too for it to be most effective.

Carlton?

Fans blaming losses on a guy that is getting DNP's. Only on the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Some are better than others. But, outcoached? Every NCAA DI coach knows what they are doing. I have seen high school coaches run circles around other coaches, but at the Division I level? News for you, it comes down to recruiting and knowing your talent. Calhoun was a great practice coach. His Xs and Os were OK. He had a great game against K in 1999, Got his ass kicked by Fred Hoiberg in his final game. What does that tell you?

Coaches are more important in these aspects.

1. Recruiting
2. Player development
3. Organization and discipline
4. Xs and Os and system

Hurley calling a timeout here or there? That is message board fodder.
John...appreciate your insight, but have to disagree. You think EVERY D1 coach is equal in X & O's? You think Kurt Rambis and Hornacek or Miller are equal to Thibodaue? By your logic, you hire the best recruiter because all coaches know what they are doing....Jumping sports, but does that apply to FB too? Parcells won every place he coached...Jets went from 3-13,1-15 to 9-7, 12-4 when he got there. was that just personnel?

You don't think taking a break to stop a run is useful? Then why do coaches ever take a TO when the other team is on a 15-0 run? NBA coaches sure do it. Who's on the court doesn't matter? Do you think we have a chance against St. John's if Sanogo is our there at the end?

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
With Whaley at the 5 it’s ok but with Sanogo he’s just not quick enough right now for that

it’s coming though don’t worry

The sprint back is only the second biggest problem of the hard hedge. No one rotating to the paint is #1.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Another Hurley = Calhoun argument.

People were saying that when Calhoun had lost three Elite 8 and three Sweet 16 games. Those are big games. What is Hurley's record in the second weekend of the Tournament?

Those teams were highly ranked #1, #2 seeds . The thought was that if you can't win with those, then when .

Hurley's URI teams were not anywhere nearly seeded so high.

Reaction Score
But then why do it...IMO the best coaches play a system that fits their personnel, not force feeding people into system that doesn't work for them....If Adama can't play his system, why recruit him?

Reaction Score
Carlton?

Fans blaming losses on a guy that is getting DNP's. Only on the Boneyard.
No blame at all actually?

Being honest with yourself...Would you say that carlton thrives when coming up to the top of the key to hedge a screen? seriously?

Jumping to conclusions without reading for context: (not) only on the boneyard.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Those teams were highly ranked #1, #2 seeds . The thought was that if you can't win with those, then when .

Hurley's URI teams were not anywhere nearly seeded so high.

So Hurley is better than Calhoun? Awesome. We are all set as a fanbase.

Back in the 90's, people were saying that Calhoun couldn't win the big game in part because UConn played in a lot of big games. What big games have Hurley teams played in?

We need to stop comparing Calhoun to Hurley. To be honest, until Hurley wins a National Championship, it is not fair to compare him to Ollie.

Reaction Score
But then why do it...IMO the best coaches play a system that fits their personnel, not force feeding people into system that doesn't work for them....If Adama can't play his system, why recruit him?
Adama is a damn beast and a freshman that just played really well against JRE. Just because he isn't as good as Whaley at hedging doesn't mean we shouldn't do it...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No blame at all actually?

Being honest with yourself...Would you say that carlton thrives when coming up to the top of the key to hedge a screen? seriously?

Jumping to conclusions without reading for context: only on the boneyard.

I have said it many times on the Boneyard: just switch on screens or go under. The hard hedge is stupid. No one thrives with that tactic unless it is a guard and the guards are going to trap off the screen. Even that only works at the high school and youth level.

Reaction Score
I have said it many times on the Boneyard: just switch on screens or go under. The hard hedge is stupid. No one thrives with that tactic unless it is a guard and the guards are going to trap off the screen. Even that only works at the high school and youth level.
The complaint on the defense is overstated. We've put together the best defense in the conference with this strategy. We just need a counter for/if teams figure it out mid game

Reaction Score
if we switch on screens, is Carlton guarding their PG?
if we go under screens, are we properly guarding the 3 ball?

watch the NBA and its completely fighting over screens, hard hedges and switches. we don't have the pieces yet to do switches at all 5 positions.

Reaction Score
If we beat Nova this thread doesn't exist. Praise for everyone. The board would have been pure nirvana. We lose to a top 10 team on the road with a veteran hall of fame level coach while only recently getting a not yet in game shape Bouk back and the sky is falling and UConn will never be relevant with DH as coach. Gotcha. I don't know if people just have unrealistic expectations given the circumstances of this season or if there is just a faction of our fanbase that is just spoiled, want instant gratification, and can't manage their frustration over a college basketball team. Complete crazytown sometimes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The complaint on the defense is overstated. We've put together the best defense in the conference with this strategy. We just need a counter for/if teams figure it out mid game
The 39th ranked defense is not impressive from a “defensive coach” with this many athletes.

Reaction Score
If UConn was my team I’d celebrate JC as an all time great that won national titles and brought the Huskies to the top of college basketball.

I’d celebrate KO as a great player and a coach that won a national title, and I’d be disappointed that his term didn’t end well.

I’d be enthusiastic that DH is rebuilding the program, that the team is back in the Big East and is getting more competitive each year with higher level talent, and I’d be hopeful for the future. It won’t happen over night.

Be true to your school. It can’t always be championships. The struggle and the journey is part of the experience.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
if we switch on screens, is Carlton guarding their PG?
if we go under screens, are we properly guarding the 3 ball?

watch the NBA and its completely fighting over screens, hard hedges and switches. we don't have the pieces yet to do switches at all 5 positions.

Almost every guard in the NBA can shoot off the dribble. College guards, not so much. I am willing to surrender quick pull up 3 attempts if it saves us from layups.

Reaction Score

Back in the 90's, people were saying that Calhoun couldn't win the big game in part because UConn played in a lot of big games. What big games have Hurley teams played in?

We need to stop comparing Calhoun to Hurley. To be honest, until Hurley wins a National Championship, it is not fair to compare him to Ollie.
How many programs have won Championships with more than 1 coach?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

I'm not saying to compare DH to him.

He is rebuilding the damage done, and is making good progress. This year is not helping with all the issues. I believe In a couple years we will be consistently NCAA bound as high seeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom