This team really has a shot!!! | The Boneyard

This team really has a shot!!!

Reaction Score
To cut down the nets! If CW gets avg.15-18 and ONO avg.10-12 a game in the tournament we get it done! Paige will be Paige! And now we have the pieces, role players, and mental toughness to get it done. And with Nika in the lineup the defense has taken a huge leap forward. They are locking teams down. Ready for March!

Reaction Score
What as hurt UConn over the past few years is lack of a real center and power forward. To make up for that, guards had to play as forwards, and forwards had to try to be centers. Players had to play away from their natural positions into less effective ones.

Ono is working herself into a Tina-like slim center, and In Edwards, we have the best pure power foreword in a long time. (maybe ever, by the time she graduates)

UConn will go to Texas with no inherent disadvantages, with everyone playing in their natural positions. I think that is showing up more and more with each game. Also, they have shown themselves to be a team that can win in the clutch- make that last shot. Or, more accurately, that special player who can.

(The Tonyc in me claws out on occasion.)

Last edited:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
As I've said in another thread, UConn could win it all, lose in the Sweet 16, or anything in between.

I like our chances of getting to the final four. Beyond that, it's in the lap of the basketball gods.
I think you are right! I talked to someone the other day who I consider an expert on Women's BB. He made a statement that it would not surprise him if any of the top 25 teams made a run at the championship......When you think about it, it IS possible. UCONN is #1. They were defeated by Arkansas who was rated #18 yesterday.
In a way, it all will make the Tourney quite interesting....It is an "unprecedented" year!

Reaction Score
A run of 6 good games and UConn has as good or better chance as any on the country to cut down the nets!
UConn got this year a player that can make something out of nothing and get a good shot at the basket either for herself or teammates.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Just think, after the first Georgetown game some were saying there was no way UConn could win the NC.

Reaction Score
What as hurt UConn over the past few years is lack of a real center and power forward. To make up for that, guards had to play as forwards, and forwards had to try to be centers. Players had to play away from their natural positions into less effective ones.

Ono is working herself into a Tina-like slim center, and In Edwards, we have the best pure power foreword in a long time. (maybe ever, by the time she graduates)

UConn will go to Texas with no inherent disadvantages, with everyone playing in their natural positions. I think that is showing up more and more with each game. Also, they have shown themselves to be a team that can win in the clutch- make that last shot. Or, more accurately, that special player who can.

While I agree that we have been weak in the front court, I think an even bigger reason has been the lack of a true “Alpha” who has the moxie and the skill to win the game at the end. That looks to have been taken care of with the addition of Paige. Of course, Edwards, Westbrook, and Muhl are big acquisitions as well. However, imo the importance of having a player who is willing and capable of winning the game when it is on the line cannot be overstated!

Reaction Score
Remember that we are very young and this will be the first NCAAs for many of us and a few of us, ONO, CW and Evina (3 games at UT in 2 years) have only limited experience. There will be a 17% attendance capacity in all games from the Sweet 16 through the Finals and I think that will actually help us by reducing that element as a distraction. It is also very tough for young players to stick to their game plan when playing more experienced, more physical teams or bigger teams. You saw how several of our shots were changed when we played against Ms. Boston. To me, the more we stick to playing our game and not theirs, the better I like our chances. We have a new team now that is fluid and synchronized on offense with an emphasis on defense. Playing that way under the pressure of the Big Dance will take a lot of focus, energy and fearlessness. I have been saying all along and I will say it again, we need Nika and E back in the saddle with their 3 point shots. It changes everything when they are making them. That's why they should be taking those wide open looks now, to get ready for hitting them when it matters. Honestly, after the rebirth at Xavier though, I can't wait for the next game, let alone the tourney. We definitely do have a shot and if it wasn't something to even think about before it definitely is now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Seriously what is the matter with you all? Time to call out the mojo police:

homer simpson episode 10 GIF

You people can thank me later.

Reaction Score
This years team is special and can definitely cut down the net. Having said that, there are a half dozen other teams that can do it also. Who wants it the most?

Which team has the best coach? There is a correct answer here!!!

Reaction Score
While I agree that we have been weak in the front court, I think an even bigger reason has been the lack of a true “Alpha” who has the moxie and the skill to win the game at the end. That looks to have been taken care of with the addition of Paige. Of course, Edwards, Westbrook, and Muhl are big acquisitions as well. However, imo the importance of having a player who is willing and capable of winning the game when it is on the line cannot be overstated!
I challenge people to replay the last 3-4 minutes of the SC game and the Tenn game and assess how UConn played inside against a couple of the best post players in the country, Key, Kushkituah, and Boston. IMO we at least held our own. I cannot get that image of Boston pulling some weak 3-point J on us at a crucial possession out of my mind. Are we more afraid of guards going by us or getting dominated by posts? I'll let you folks answer that. Is that different from the same question last year? Who has the matchup nightmares?- I think the team is called UConn.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As has been said by myself and others, there is no favorite/ dominant team this season. So -

UConn really does have a legit shot at winning it all. Outside of Arkansas, which we lost by a 3 pointer, We have improved our play, offense and defense, from the start. That is no minor feat considering the schedule, COVID stops and a lack of a consistent game schedule. And no, five games in 10 days is not normal.

We beat Tennessee on their court. Tennessee is a much better team under Harper. We have the one player that can and will rise to the challenge. We beat #1 South Carolina. We took SC's fast break game away from them. That's a big part of their offense. Georgia did the same thing.

So we have three freshman who are an integral of this team. They are not playing like freshman. They are not intimidated by it all. I'll take Paige, Nika and Aaliyah against all comers any day in the week. With Liv, CW and E we will be fine.

Six wins in a row is all we need. The toughest game will be the E8. Yea, we have a legit shot and just maybe we are the favorite - by a slim margin.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would expect UConn to prevail in the rematch, but then I expected UConn to prevail
in the first game too.
Eh, Ark is good. But they don't beat UConn in the Eastern time zone even if UConn plays a similar stinker.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

As I said in another post. If everyone shows up and plays up to their potential, limit the turn overs and personal fouls, I like our chances against anyone. We can't start slow and play from behind. That just gives the other team confidence that they can beat UConn.

You know the story...................the longer you let a team hang around (keep the score close), the more confidence they get as the game goes on. At some point, they begin to think THEY CAN win the game. Can't let that happen. You need to break their will and their spirit early in the game and make them realize they have NO CHANCE of winning.

UConn did that against St. Johns recently. The Red Storm was down 31 at the half, 46-15. They came out flat and listless in the 3rd quarter. No energy or sense of urgency. They played like a team already defeated after just 20 minutes. :confused:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
We are the favorite by a bunch!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member