This Team Plays Down/Up to Their Opponents | The Boneyard

This Team Plays Down/Up to Their Opponents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
I don't know about you guys but as I watch us consistently struggle to soundly beat opponents in the AAC I find it harder and harder to recall us being a solid regular season team in the BE vs superior competition night in night out. Heck some of these teams make DePaul seem like a tough draw.

We have seen some downright horrible offense during conference play. We are shooting it at a 38% clip, our assist to turnover ratio is basically flat and we are getting out rebounded in AAC games. How does that happen???

On the OOC flip side:

"In nonconference games, a mix of bowsers with Michigan, Syracuse, Ohio State, Gonzaga, Maryland, Georgetown and Texas, they’re averaging 80 points per game, shooting around 50 percent, outrebounding opponents and have 46 more assists than turnovers."

http://www.theday.com/sports-column...ercent-this-has-the-potential-not-to-end-well

Their offense rises to the occasion vs better competition and then the wheels fall off in conference vs inferior opponents. Not like we even played SMU yet either who I'm sure would wipe the floor with us at this point.

I drive myself crazy trying to figure out this Jekyl and Hyde team. 1st their defense was absolutely abysmal - we were dubbing them the worst defensive team in recent UConn memory. Our offense came out the gate very well and has fallen off into an inconsistent struggle and now our D is the only thing that is keeping us afloat.

Our best all around player continues to stink up the AAC, our coach is content with our team playing catch around the perimeter for long stretches at a time and we continue to let some key conference slip away due to mind blowing decisions and lack of late game execution.

We aren't used to experiencing this type of play as UConn fans where every game sends us into a complete high ("We're back and here comes a big time run") or a complete low ("Back to the bubble watch").

If for nothing else this godforsaken conference should allow us to dominate the regular season and ensure that we don't have to sweat it out to make the tournament field every year but we have found a way this past two seasons to torture the collective fan base. Maybe I'm spoiled but I'm not willing to accept the mediocrity that seems to be becoming a trend over the last couple of seasons.

Time to make a push, no more excuses from coaches and players alike. If we are biting our nails come Selection Sunday that is just downright unacceptable IMO

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They're not really that hard to figure out.

Just not a very good team. They look like a good team on paper, but they're not.

The year to year improvement with these players isn't particularly impressive and the coaching staff doesn't seem to have many answers.

Hopefully, Brimah's return gives them a bump or we're just riding out the year hoping to win the dopey AAC tournament.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't know what it says about this team, including our coaching staff, but our two best and most consistent players are those who have been here the least amount of time, and who previously spent four years playing CBB elsewhere. Those who have been here the longest seem to be regressing of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3
Top Bottom