This team is loaded | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This team is loaded

Reaction Score
Central, Coppin State and LIU. Have we looked great? Yes. But mostly what we've seen is confirmation of all the things that we thought were our strengths being there. Depth. Size. Athleticism. Cohesiveness. All great.

We have not yet had a chance to see if what we feared might hold us back might hold us back. Outside shooting. A perimeter player who can take someone one on one and hit a big shot. A consistent go to scorer against top level competition. (And no, nothing Sanogo has done yet has proved that). A half court offense that isn't offensive.

I'm not saying this team can't be really, really good. I'm not saying we shouldn't be pleased with how we looked. We could be and I am. But let's see what we look like in the Bahamas and then talk about how great we are. Because I don't think we've learned nearly as much about this team from these opponents as some of you seem to.

Reaction Score
Central, Coppin State and LIU. Have we looked great? Yes. But mostly what we've seen is confirmation of all the things that we thought were our strengths being there. Depth. Size. Athleticism. Cohesiveness. All great.

We have not yet had a chance to see if what we feared might hold us back might hold us back. Outside shooting. A perimeter player who can take someone one on one and hit a big shot. A consistent go to scorer against top level competition. (And no, nothing Sanogo has done yet has proved that). A half court offense that isn't offensive.

I'm not saying this team can't be really, really good. I'm not saying we shouldn't be pleased with how we looked. We could be and I am. But let's see what we look like in the Bahamas and then talk about how great we are. Because I don't think we've learned nearly as much about this team from these opponents as some of you seem to.
Been getting more impressive each game. Love those rejections and alley-oops!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Cole made some real bad decisions in the paint tonight especially early. Jackson had his best game by far.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
There’s a different feeling at these early games for sure. The cupcakes don’t normally get these many people or this many cheers. The BE home games are going to be absolutely bonkers. Clingan was behind the bench with Boone tonight. I just wish Big Red made one appearance tonight.

Reaction Score
I get that we haven’t played a top flight opponent but still we are thumping teams by 50…that is different than winning by 6 in previous years
I have some scars from previous years. Years where we were lights out against below avg competition. But hit a wall against any legit tournament team.

But maybe you all are correct. We'll see

Reaction Score
Ill add this. We are definitely better than we were at this time last year. But we should be. We are a very veteran squad.
This is a key point - these are games the last 6 years, even against these bad teams, we’d get into first half dogfights, lead by 6 or 7 at the half, then pull away with our talent in the second and win by 19-20. Or, even worse, let the dogfight drag on and only win by 10-12.

Now, instead, we’re putting these teams away in the first half and absolutely blasting them in the second.

I do try to stay rational in that we really can’t take too much from these games, but damn are they fun to watch

Reaction Score
Some of you need to pump the brakes. Not saying we aren't better than last year, but we haven't played ANYONE yet. We'll know the potential of this team after Battle 4 Atlantis.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The team has depth, that is a fact.

Auburn will be a good test for the team.

Nice win after starting off a little slow

Reaction Score
Some of you need to pump the brakes. Not saying we aren't better than last year, but we haven't played ANYONE yet. We'll know the potential of this team after Battle 4 Atlantis.
When i watch these games early on against cupcakes i look for 5 things. Am i an expert? No but this has worked for me over the years in gauging how good i think we`ll be:

1. Individual performances from guys. Have they shown improvement and how much improvement from last year.
2. Defense/Toughness/Intensity. What ive noticed over the years is our really good teams play defense really well early on even if they arent there offensively.
3. Can we run? Hurley said it himself "good teams dunk a lot". This is true especially against cupcakes.
4. Confidence/Swagger/Belief. Has the entire team bought in to the coaches vision and do they believe in it and each other.
5. Win margine. This is the easiest to measure because its literally a measurable number. When youre beating teams like Hartford by 15, St. Peters by 10, NJIT by 22 but you only score 69 points that is a huge red flag. When youre beating teams by 50 points and scoring 90+ its a good sign especially when going having two 50 point wins hasnt happened in 15 years. I think thats a good sign.

Now the point im making is you dont have to watch a team against high level competition to figure out if they are good or not but what you do find out is how good and that isnt going to be answered over 3 games at the beginning of the season. Sure this team could fall flat the minute they face tougher competition. Anything is possible but common sense and the eye test tells you this team is as deep and talented as any in the country. The prevailing thought by many including media from around the country is that this team may have the deepest front court in the country. im on record as saying this team will win at least 25 games this season and i stand by it and feel pretty good about it.

Reaction Score
Anyone worried about how slow we've been starting games. It'll put us in a hole fast against better teams.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I watch a lot of basketball and have seen most of the highly ranked teams. I haven't seen a team as athletic and deep as us. This could be a special year.
Agreed. A few things we’ll find out soon is who is our bucket getter, can our bigs not get into foul trouble constantly, will our three point defense be great, and can we hit our threes, how will our offense and substitutions look against quality teams. . But I agree, we have great depth at every position and make a run in conference and postseason

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
When i watch these games early on against cupcakes i look for 5 things. Am i an expert? No but this has worked for me over the years in gauging how good i think we`ll be:

1. Individual performances from guys. Have they shown improvement and how much improvement from last year.
2. Defense/Toughness/Intensity. What ive noticed over the years is our really good teams play defense really well early on even if they arent there offensively.
3. Can we run? Hurley said it himself "good teams dunk a lot". This is true especially against cupcakes.
4. Confidence/Swagger/Belief. Has the entire team bought in to the coaches vision and do they believe in it and each other.
5. Win margine. This is the easiest to measure because its literally a measurable number. When youre beating teams like Hartford by 15, St. Peters by 10, NJIT by 22 but you only score 69 points that is a huge red flag. When youre beating teams by 50 points and scoring 90+ its a good sign especially when going having two 50 point wins hasnt happened in 15 years. I think thats a good sign.

Now the point im making is you dont have to watch a team against high level competition to figure out if they are good or not but what you do find out is how good and that isnt going to be answered over 3 games at the beginning of the season. Sure this team could fall flat the minute they face tougher competition. Anything is possible but common sense and the eye test tells you this team is as deep and talented as any in the country. The prevailing thought by many including media from around the country is that this team may have the deepest front court in the country. im on record as saying this team will win at least 25 games this season and i stand by it and feel pretty good about it.
Nailed it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom