This team hurt badly by the loss of Gilbert last two years | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This team hurt badly by the loss of Gilbert last two years

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The recruits he has are his, it's his fault. But can't agree with anyone winning 20 games with this bunch are you watching Hawk? Not a coach out there who could win 20 with these guys and the fact he brought these guys in here on him, and that is part of coaching. They can't shoot, they don't have a lot of natural basketball players with high IQ's on the court (again) and they are not physical. Their best player has to do it all and he can't be asked to. Their best shooter is afraid to mix it up and their 2nd best scorer is a 6th or 7th man normally so he is out of place in the line up getting 30 plus minutes. It's a bad team, not well coached and not well put together no wining 20 with this crew.

Agree to disagree. Any team that can beat SMU and play MSU to a standstill, even for a half, can win 20 games. Our level of preparation and planning is awful. We have better players than many teams we have lost to, including Memphis, UCF and Tulsa. Probably Temple too. But we show up and play undisciplined street ball against well coached teams. We'd need to have vastly better players than the other team to win in that situation. We can never rely on that to be the case.

Now I agree this squad wasn't beating Nova, MSU, Auburn, WSU, Cinci or similar teams no matter who was coaching.

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree. Any team that can beat SMU and play MSU to a standstill, even for a half, can win 20 games. Our level of preparation and planning is awful. We have better players than many teams we have lost to, including Memphis, UCF and Tulsa. Probably Temple too. But we show up and play undisciplined street ball against well coached teams. We'd need to have vastly better players than the other team to win in that situation. We can never rely on that to be the case.

Now I agree this squad wasn't beating Nova, MSU, Auburn, WSU, Cinci or similar teams no matter who was coaching.

Yep agree to disagree. What you're forgetting is when we win someone plays really well, that's the same guy or guys in some cases, who doesn't play well under anyone coaching him the next day. They are very inconsistent players the only one with any idea of playing well most every game is Jalen. And according to his shooting percentage that's a reach too. But your point is well taken - bottom line is a mess.

Reaction Score

It's a double-edged sword. We are fairly untalented and are poorly coached and prepared. Not a very good recipe for success. There are times when things will come together but they just do. But I go into most games expecting us to not even be competitive at this point because there are so little variation and improvement game-to-game.

Reaction Score
To me Vance is a bigger loss than a banged up point guard who can’t shoot. Vance also possesses s good inside game with his footwork and had some muscle. Too bad he thought he was a point forward.

Reaction Score
That profile picture makes this post hard to read.
lyi3lr6.gif

pj

Reaction Score
Yep agree to disagree. What you're forgetting is when we win someone plays really well, that's the same guy or guys in some cases, who doesn't play well under anyone coaching him the next day. They are very inconsistent players the only one with any idea of playing well most every game is Jalen. And according to his shooting percentage that's a reach too. But your point is well taken - bottom line is a mess.

When you only have one or two guys who step up offensively, you're easy to defend. When the opponents figure out how to defend your best guy, he has a "bad game." If the rest of the team can't adjust to beat the defense, you lose.

Jalen needs more around him. In 2011, we had 9 losses while Kemba was building up Jeremy Lamb and the rest of his supporting cast. He could have single-handedly won some of those games, but JC knew we'd need the other guys to win the tourney. And when it came around, they were ready.

Not saying the team couldn't be coached better. But the actual record isn't that much worse than you'd expect given the personnel. Losing Gilbert did hurt a lot.

Reaction Score
If AG plays a full season next year....if Mo drastically improves his defensive footwork/discipline....if all Whaley, Carlton & Lukas work on this offseason is rebound rebound rebound....and if Jalen stays next season...I say we have ourselves a team.

Dare I say it, a borderline top 25 team

Lez get it!

Reaction Score
So will his opposing players.
So that was the knock on Enoch too, that he had no court awareness and was always out of position on D. Enoch and Vance both had serious upside offensively, good coaching could have turned them into solid defenders. Instead we’re left with the brilliant offense of Anderson and Onourah. Careful what you wish for.

Reaction Score

Who cares about 20 wins when like you said have no chance of beating good teams. A couple extra wins from UCF and Tulsa wasn't going to make the conversation about this year any different.

As bad as KO is the talent on this team might be worse. The combination makes for one painful season.

Reaction Score
If AG plays a full season next year....if Mo drastically improves his defensive footwork/discipline....if all Whaley, Carlton & Lukas work on this offseason is rebound rebound rebound....and if Jalen stays next season...I say we have ourselves a team.

Dare I say it, a borderline top 25 team

Lez get it!

We're fighting for .500 this year, let's not get carried away with the ridiculous projections for next year before we actually see who's left on the roster and who's sitting at the end of the bench next year.

Reaction Score
To me Vance is a bigger loss than a banged up point guard who can’t shoot. Vance also possesses s good inside game with his footwork and had some muscle. Too bad he thought he was a point forward.

Exactly this. Gilbert plays the same role as Jalen - they're slashers first. AG couldn't shoot worth a damn in his few college appearances from deep, so I don't think he would have made much more of a difference offensively at all for this team. Who is he kicking it out to when he gets into the teeth of the defense? He'd have exactly the same problems Adams has.

Reaction Score
Exactly this. Gilbert plays the same role as Jalen - they're slashers first. AG couldn't shoot worth a damn in his few college appearances from deep, so I don't think he would have made much more of a difference offensively at all for this team. Who is he kicking it out to when he gets into the teeth of the defense? He'd have exactly the same problems Adams has.

AG was a good shooter, not great, in high school and the aau circuit. I think his struggles had to due with his shoulder discomfort and the fact he hasn't had much time to put in the work and put up the shots to get better in that department since he's been injured 90% of the time he's been at UConn

Reaction Score
You can speculate all you want but actual evidence requires you to also consider Wagner and Northeastern. People who speculate about how great we would be with Gilbert or Vance or Enoch need to account for the fact that with those guys we lost to not 1 bad team which occasionally happens, but multiple bad teams, which doesn’t.

This. All theories that present Ollie as a good coach with bad luck inevitably smack up against the Wagner / Northeastern conundrum.

Reaction Score
When you only have one or two guys who step up offensively, you're easy to defend. When the opponents figure out how to defend your best guy, he has a "bad game." If the rest of the team can't adjust to beat the defense, you lose.

Jalen needs more around him. In 2011, we had 9 losses while Kemba was building up Jeremy Lamb and the rest of his supporting cast. He could have single-handedly won some of those games, but JC knew we'd need the other guys to win the tourney. And when it came around, they were ready.

Not saying the team couldn't be coached better. But the actual record isn't that much worse than you'd expect given the personnel. Losing Gilbert did hurt a lot.

Disagree. In every AAC game - even without Gilbert on the court - UCONN has the highest rated, most heavily recruited roster. It never looks that way even against the bottom tier of the league because of a healthy dose of poor preparation, poor in game coaching, poor eye for talent and abysmal player development. It is blindingly obvious.

pj

Reaction Score
Disagree. In every AAC game - even without Gilbert on the court - UCONN has the highest rated, most heavily recruited roster. It never looks that way even against the bottom tier of the league because of a healthy dose of poor preparation, poor in game coaching, poor eye for talent and abysmal player development. It is blindingly obvious.

Ratings don't matter as much as skills and diversity of capabilities. If you don't have a distributor, don't have shooters, don't have a rim protector, you are going to struggle. You need a balanced and complete roster with enough versatility to overcome a variety of defensive approaches and to defend a variety of offensive threats. We don't have that. We are mono-dimensional and easily frustrated.

Reaction Score
AG was a good shooter, not great, in high school and the aau circuit. I think his struggles had to due with his shoulder discomfort and the fact he hasn't had much time to put in the work and put up the shots to get better in that department since he's been injured 90% of the time he's been at UConn
Well that wasn’t going to change this year as he had issues coming into the season with the shoulder. Hopefully he finally gets it fixed to where pain is limited and movement is good. I just wouldn’t rely on that due to his pas history.

Reaction Score
Ratings don't matter as much as skills and diversity of capabilities. If you don't have a distributor, don't have shooters, don't have a rim protector, you are going to struggle. You need a balanced and complete roster with enough versatility to overcome a variety of defensive approaches and to defend a variety of offensive threats. We don't have that. We are mono-dimensional and easily frustrated.

We are not in full disagreement then. Ratings and offers do not matter if the coach has no eye for talent or player development.

We would have won a head to head recruitment with any team in the AAC, but that is not the issue. If we cannot construct or develop a team ( or implement a smart game plan or motivate, etc. ) we will always be a doormat. Gilbert is not the isssue ... of anything, his presence would be masking the issue.

Reaction Score
We're fighting for .500 this year, let's not get carried away with the ridiculous projections for next year before we actually see who's left on the roster and who's sitting at the end of the bench next year.

I projected nothing, they were all IF statements.

Reaction Score
It would be hard to deny that the team would be better off with Gilbert on the floor. If nothing else, his taking minutes from Anderson would be a plus because he is clearly if healthy a more talented player and just having four guards rather than three is a big help.
However, the team's big problem and biggest black hole is the front court.
UConn has three true freshmen, a redshirt freshman, three transfers and Larrier in the front court unless I'm missing someone.
Larrier is a good college player but is trying to do too much.
The rest? Carlton I think will be a nice player. Could we please throw him the ball more? He has better offensive post moves than anyone we have had in a while, keeps the ball high in traffic and scores more often than he doesn't.
Whaley could be a nice Murray Williams type of player or maybe better with some seasoning.
Polley, not sure what to make of him.
Diarra again is like Carlton to me. Needs more minutes and the ball more.
Kwintin, DO and Cobb are bench players.
Larrier is Larrier. He can be a great scorer for us, he is a defensive liability and turns it over too much. But, with a better front court around him playing as a wing he could more effective.
We are only in games because of Adams, Vital and Larrier. With Gilbert we would be more competitive. But our problem is the front court. You can blame that on anybody you want, and I'm sure you will, but blaming Adams, Vital and Larrier for the team's issues is silly.
The front court is the problem. Brimah masked that with his shot blocking. There is no hiding it now.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Vance hurt the team by leaving but Gilbert is a huge loss. Means Anderson wouldn’t be playing so much and would’ve allowed Adams to rest while on the court bc we’d have a very good ball handler. He can also score and very good at picking up his man full court and applying ball pressure. It’s been a huge loss. Ollie’s team was based on having these two play together and for two years we haven’t had a consistent backcourt

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
AND the purge of our young big players.

With a GOOD pg--a PG that gets everyone involved--we couldve been much more of a threat with all of that size we had. I really thought that V Jackson had great potential and the two bigs couldve came a long. If there is a snafu--I think being drained like that was too much to handle for a program that didnt have the back up besides transfers.

the dumpster fire crowd only mention injuries when they happen to one of our opponents, then we're lucky to be playing them without "so and so" or we're lucky THEY were depleted

PS: the evidence that we're better with Gilbert was our 4-0 start beating Oregon in Oregon and then leading MSU for most of the first half before he was injured. If somebody can't see or acknowledge that, then they're not really capable of a rational discussion.

Gilbert is going to end this debate next year

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
the dumpster fire crowd only mention injuries when they happen to one of our opponents, then we're lucky to be playing them without "so and so" or we're lucky THEY were depleted

The KO fluffing crowd will be clamoring for an extension when Gilbert gets hurt again next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom