This Team Hasn't Learned How To Win Yet | The Boneyard

This Team Hasn't Learned How To Win Yet

Reaction Score
We have 7 losses. Outside of St. Johns, the other 6 were winnable games. In each one we either gave up the lead late or were a possession away from tying or taking the lead. And in each one we played poorly down the stretch in crunch time and/or could not hit a clutch shot. We win half of these and 22-4 looks pretty good. Hurley verbally stated his two main concerns entering the season were a lack of toughness and who takes the big shot. Both of these have proven true. We wilt a bit when things get tight. I'm not a DH apologist but that can't be all his fault. We had double digit blowouts for the first two months of the season. Our toughness was rarely challenged. We need several guys to play well on any given night, not just one or two. Our guys need to step up and play better and smarter in the last 4-6 minutes of games, that's how you win. And I think they will. I think we grow and learn from these losses. We are a good team with weapons and a chance to win every time we step on the floor. I haven't given up on these Huskies. I hope no one else has either. Enjoy the Super Bowl!!

Reaction Score
We have 7 losses. Outside of St. Johns, the other 6 were winnable games. In each one we either gave up the lead late or were a possession away from tying or taking the lead. And in each one we played poorly down the stretch in crunch time and/or could not hit a clutch shot. We win half of these and 22-4 looks pretty good. Hurley verbally stated his two main concerns entering the season were a lack of toughness and who takes the big shot. Both of these have proven true. We wilt a bit when things get tight. I'm not a DH apologist but that can't be all his fault. We had double digit blowouts for the first two months of the season. Our toughness was rarely challenged. We need several guys to play well on any given night, not just one or two. Our guys need to step up and play better and smarter in the last 4-6 minutes of games, that's how you win. And I think they will. I think we grow and learn from these losses. We are a good team with weapons and a chance to win every time we step on the floor. I haven't given up on these Huskies. I hope no one else has either. Enjoy the Super Bowl!!
Concur with your summary.. Two opportunities with Hawk.. The layup scrum/no foul and the jumper at top of key.. 2pts instead of three.. I thought he got "bodied" on the layup and it affected his shot.. At Gampel-- a foul.. No call in Omaha.

It was an old BE grind it out--Defensive game.. Gut-wrenching loss vs one of the hottest teams in the country on their home court.. Is Creighton a sweet sixteen/elite eight/final four caliber team?? I think they're in the conversation.. Must mean we're pretty good too.

Can we play better? Of course. Not going to win many games when three of your best shooting starters deliver 18 points (AK/TN/JH).. Lets run the table heading into BET.

Reaction Score
Great defense and make all your free throws that's the formula

Reaction Score
They did that yesterday and lost.

Of course I'm sure you were thinking they would get more than 4 free throw attempts the entire game. :)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The time-worn UConn winning way to closeout games has been these two, plus no turnovers.

In the Hurley era, a 4th prong has been added, and this is one too many: No bad shots.

Bad shots are poorly-timed, rushed, off-balance, ill-conceived, ill-considered, etc. This is a genuine concern that lies at the program's growing edge.

Reaction Score
Coaching can help with this some, but there is a limit. A lot of it is innate and some guys just don't have it.

If I'm knocking Hurley for anything, it's in failing to identify the guys who do. Hurley has had 3 premier recruits --Bouknight, Jackson, and Hawkins. None of them seem to have it. Maybe Castle reverses the trend.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

yes and no.

The Creighton game comes down to Hawkins making a clutch shot but being 2" too close on a play where there is no time to look for his footwork. Last year Kalkbrenner had a field day on pick and rolls and Creighton neutered Sanogo. This year UConn stopped Kalkbrenner both times and Sanogo had good numbers and in the flow of the game.

The Seton Hall game was the worst loss in my opinion because it was the exact same thing they did last year to beat UConn. They just used a single player to back down his defender and score at the rim.

The SJU loss was the turd in the punch bowl game you know is happening once a season.

Need to win all three home games remaining and win at SJU. Nova on the road to finish up the season is the cherry on top.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
yes and no.

The Creighton game comes down to Hawkins making a clutch shot but being 2" too close on a play where there is no time to look for his footwork. Last year Kalkbrenner had a field day on pick and rolls and Creighton neutered Sanogo. This year UConn stopped Kalkbrenner both times and Sanogo had good numbers and in the flow of the game.

The Seton Hall game was the worst loss in my opinion because it was the exact same thing they did last year to beat UConn. They just used a single player to back down his defender and score at the rim.

The SJU loss was the turd in the punch bowl game you know is happening once a season.

Need to win all three home games remaining and win at SJU. Nova on the road to finish up the season is the cherry on top.
yes & no.

A good post, but...

One
Game
At
A
Time

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
How many games did Bouknight play in the league this year. I thought he spent sometime in the g or d league whatever the nba minor league is. I will say this Jordan is a better defender than Bouk ever was. And I do think Hawkins can be clutch as maybe it is a learned behavior. It comes with confidence and success for those that are not just born with it. I hope Hawkins comes back only because in the long run the success he has next year in college will give him the confidence he needs. Plus he still needs to be stronger because they will play him with some physicality at the next level. Hawkins looks like he cares with Bouknight I never really so that look in his eyes. Hawkins wants to be great and to me Bouknight wanted the money. You can have both if you have their kind of god given talent but it is the process that will get a player to go from great college player to very good or great nba player. When everyone else has the same physical potential as you do the difference is between the ears. If you miss your chance and time it wrong usually you have a short and forgettable pro career.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
We played Great defense on Saturday.

Saturdays loss bothered me less than all the others. I thought we played pretty well. VERY well defensively. Offensively we simply can't have Newton no show. Combine that with Hawkins Road woes, and Jackson playing spooked, and we will not be a good offensive team. Ever. 2 out of 3 of those at minimum need to be the the opposite for us to be well.

We are what we are at this point, it's down to the players. If they can find it we can be great, if they can't we won't. This is not on Coach any longer.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
If you go back and read many of JC’s quotes he talks about boys becoming men. That’s what wins close games. JC was the best of getting a talented privileged recruit who has been spoiled and told he was great since junior high into a man who understands live is tough and you need to work hard make sacrifices and battle through all of your adversity. That is the difference. Now maybe you can’t coach like that anymore since it is not politically correct but his teams were tough as nails.

Reaction Score

Well said and pretty much in line with my thoughts about this team. (Including DH). I try not to be a Hurley apologist but IMHO the same line up with a different coach probably would yield the same struggles. No player has emerged as the Rip, Caron, Shabazz, Kemba, like savior in these game situations.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Every game is different. And look around the country. Purdue lost 2 road games. Indiana just survived UM, Tennessee struggled. While there such a thing as learning how to win, a team always looks good when the ball goes in the basket even if a crap shot. The shooting was overall bad on Sat. They didn’t fold. I”m sure if that game was the best example of learning how to win. Not to mention a couple of pretty bad calls and non calls that produced roughly 6 points against us.

Reaction Score
Every game is different. And look around the country. Purdue lost 2 road games. Indiana just survived UM, Tennessee struggled. While there such a thing as learning how to win, a team always looks good when the ball goes in the basket even if a crap shot. The shooting was overall bad on Sat. They didn’t fold. I”m sure if that game was the best example of learning how to win. Not to mention a couple of pretty bad calls and non calls that produced roughly 6 points against us.
And don't forget 3 prayers/lucky b u l l shots made by Trey Alexander.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And don't forget 3 prayers/lucky b u l l shots made by Trey Alexander.

Jim Jackson did a great job highlighting two different fast breaks where UConn's players just shat the bed with decision making. He correctly pointed out in games like the one against Creighton you can't give away points on the FB and those missed points come back to haunt you.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Meant to say, “not sure” this was the best example.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Jim Jackson did a great job highlighting two different fast breaks where UConn's players just shat the bed with decision making. He correctly pointed out in games like the one against Creighton you can't give away points on the FB and those missed points come back to haunt you.
The Diarra to jackson break was just abysmal

Reaction Score
There was another possession in the 2nd half that was even worse. Not sure if it was a fast break but someone had the ball out near the 3 point line (Jackson or Newton?). Clingan was on the block and Kalkbrenner literally fell down and was on the floor. Looked to be a clear passing lane to Clingan. It would have been an easy dunk. They ultimately didn't score on that possession. Does anyone else remember that? In games like this you need to take advantage of these situations.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Our best teams always had an extra coach on the floor (who usually was also the primary ball handler). That one ingredient is the biggest thing that Hurley's teams have been missing here. Cole came the closest but he wasn't a true PG and he seldom was able to lift the play of his teammates (not knocking him for either, it's just who he was which was not what many of our point guards had been).

Reaction Score

This is just so painfully obvious to anyone who watches. The ball gets passed around like a hot potato until the shot clock dwindles and then a bad shot is taken. you can feel the stress and anxiety. It's also likely that this started as something that was random back luck and has snowballed into a mental issue.

Was very perplexed when reading through the "who takes the last shot" thread and saw so many "obviously Hawkins if he's not double teamed". He's our best player but I don't think he's the guy mentally. Saturday's toe on the line shot was a start in the right direction, but I honestly think the chaos of that play saved him bc he didn't have a chance to think (and as a downside didn't get a chance to get his foot off the line). Karaban has seemed to be the guy who can take and make these shots while also being aware of the moment. Hopefully we go that route in the next close game and can build from there.

For those saying that this isn't on Hurley, I think it's a bit more complicated than that - players can feel the energy of their coaches. Hurley has clearly stated he has a losing anxiety issue. I can almost guarantee that is vibing through to the players regardless of how much he tries to hide it/says encouraging things in the huddle. I don't think it's a coincidence that Hurley's teams have been so bad in tight games - if he's tight the team is going to be tight.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, there are 4 things that contribute to winning close games:

1) Scheme success against set/locked in defense (and vice versa for defense against opponent offense).
2) Individual skill sets.
3) Composure
4) Luck

1) It's been widely discussed this season that conference teams "figured out" a lot of our sets that were successful in the first third of the season. Hurley (and Karaban on the CT Scoreboard pod) indicated he was working on the team playing with more freedom and flow. To put it another way (and use a big simplification), most of the game we use set plays to generate open or practiced looks from our best players. Other teams that run more ball screen-heavy offenses attempt to generate man on man advantages (either space, numbers advantage, or mismatches) and then capitalize. One is not inherently better than the other, execution is usually the most important thing (and sometimes defensive scheme matchup). Against unprepared or unfamiliar teams, we can really snowball games by just getting open look after open look, sprinkling in counters to keep piling on. We do run some spread ball screen looks, too, especially with Clingan in the game, but it's not usually a focal point of the offense. However in clutch situations, opponent defenses are much more focused in general and by the end of games they've seen most of our sets a few times and have adjusted to any wrinkles and counters we added to them in that game's prep. It's sometimes harder for us to score at the end of games than teams that are more PnR or 1v1 oriented, because it is much harder to completely shut those plays down without the right defensive personnel, and teams can generally find some mismatch. Shutting us down requires better coaching and focus, not necessarily better personnel.

On defense, the only aspect of our philosophy that really gives us trouble in close games is fouling too frequently. We tend to be offering the bonus often, which instead of forcing our opponent to attack the same late game set defense I've just said we've struggled against, the opponent gets to go to the line for a highly efficient scoring chance. We have the athletic personnel to generate a lot of fouls ourselves, but a combination of our offense generating actually open plays (so no one is in position to even contest/foul) and in conjunction a predisposition towards finesse and skill instead of physicality leads to drawing less fouls than you'd expect.

Occasionally actual timeout Xs and Os and ATO plays make an impact, but they're not generally that big a deal. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Obviously the Villanova game last year it was huge. But most close games come down to less structured plays and more normal flowing offense vs. defense.

2) And that brings us to individual skill sets. A lot of offensive scheme design is about the fit of players and systems. You want to recruit and develop players to fit your system, and also tailor your system to specific player strengths (or cover up weaknesses). We run a LOT more off ball screen action this year for Jordan Hawkins, because he's a screen shooting savant. We ran a little for Tyler Polley previously, but nowhere near to this extent. We run a lot more plays designed to get Adama a free release or deep position in the post than we did when we had Whaley as starting center in 2020. Very good coaches are either really good at tailoring and modifying their systems, or really good at developing and identifying the right players. The greats do both at a high level.

But individual talents do matter for winning close games. One of the reasons we run less PnR and more sets is due to our personnel. We don't have elite dribble penetration or many 1v1 scoring threats. Hawkins and Jackson have weak handles relative to the other aspects of their game and subpar finishing abilities. Newton can do it at times. He's got the size and skill to finish in the paint, but he's more shifty than quick or explosive. He doesn't generate a ton of advantage and relies on savvy to draw fouls. But an opponent fouling is a two way street, and they have to participate. Teams like Creighton, Xavier, and Villanova don't bail you out by fouling (they're drilled explicitly not to foul as much as possible). Diarra is quicker and has an easier time getting to the rim, but he lacks the skill to finish under duress and the control/IQ to navigate the teeth of the defense. Adama is a great 1v1 player, but his type of offense is generally inefficient outside of truly elite play (or a favorable matchup) and requires setup, which can be disrupted (Kalkbrenner knocking away the pass with 1:30 left last game) or out-muscled (Soriano in the St. John's game).

To perhaps have saved a full 2 paragraphs, we have no one that can reliably create their own shot against a set defense who is prepared for our sets. It's one thing to play more freely, it's another to have elite talent who can generate advantages and then capitalize. It's unclear if staff thought Newton would be that guy and missed on the evaluation or if they just thought he fit the overall scheme very well (including having more beneficial size on defense).

3) Composure comes through in a lot of ways. People put this on the coach's personality a lot, and I'm sure there is some validity to that, because humans are social creatures and do pick up the emotions of others, especially leaders. But I think it's a lot more about experience and individual personality (mental skill set, if you will) and leadership ON the court. Foul shooting is the most obvious example of composure, but it's often about decision making, and specifically the speed at which you make those decisions. Not so fast that you're rushing things, and not so slow that you're getting trapped or missing opportunities. It's also things like keeping your shooting form consistent despite anxiety. Diarra is a killer, but he just doesn't have the bag to capitalize. Alleyne appears to have zero composure. He never moves smoothly even when he's playing confident and the stakes are low, which is why he's such a streaky shooter. Jackson's composure has taken a hit alongside his confidence. Newton has decent composure, but he needs more talent (handling, explosiveness) to really use it.

4) Luck is extremely important in close games. I'm not talking about KenPom's luck, but actual luck. There's just no way around it and we should not minimize its impact. Northwestern hits all their shots down the stretch and they beat Purdue. Hawkins' toe is on the line, so we lose. The ball bounces straight down right to a guy we had essentially forced under the basket in the Seton Hall game and he gets the rebound and we lose The better you play, the less susceptible you are to shooting variance and ball bounce luck. You make your own luck... to an extent. This is why for most teams and coaches, close game results even out over time, as personnel changes out and waxes and wanes in experience.

You're not going to have a record as poor as Dan's in close games without being deficient in a couple different areas. And as a basketball coach, you're not specifically optimizing for winning close games, but for best results overall. Ed Cooley has won a huge % of close games, but still only has 3 NCAA tournament wins in 17 years. Dan and Ed have the exact same career winning percentage (.604). But it's certainly a reasonable argument that maybe optimizing for close games should be a larger consideration to roster building and scheme strategy than simply just considered game to game tactics. Fouling less frequently on defense is the first thing I'd address, alongside prioritizing 1v1 creation when team building. Hopefully that's an area that the staff has already prioritized, and that Castle and Ball improve our team and close game record over the next couple of years. But Castle is likely one and done, and may not necessarily have the composure and skill yet to make a difference as a freshman.

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
In my opinion, there are 4 things that contribute to winning close games:

1) Scheme success against set/locked in defense (and vice versa for defense against opponent offense).
2) Individual skill sets.
3) Composure
4) Luck

1) It's been widely discussed this season that conference teams "figured out" a lot of our sets that were successful in the first third of the season. Hurley (and Karaban on the CT Scoreboard pod) indicated he was working on the team playing with more freedom and flow. To put it another way (and use a big simplification), most of the game we use set plays to generate open or practiced looks from our best players. Other teams that run more ball screen-heavy offenses attempt to generate man on man advantages (either space, numbers advantage, or mismatches) and then capitalize. One is not inherently better than the other, execution is usually the most important thing (and sometimes defensive scheme matchup). Against unprepared or unfamiliar teams, we can really snowball games by just getting open look after open look, sprinkling in counters to keep piling on. We do run some spread ball screen looks, too, especially with Clingan in the game, but it's not usually a focal point of the offense. However in clutch situations, opponent defenses are much more focused in general and by the end of games they've seen most of our sets a few times and have adjusted to any wrinkles and counters we added to them in that game's prep. It's sometimes harder for us to score at the end of games than teams that are more PnR or 1v1 oriented, because it is much harder to completely shut those plays down without the right defensive personnel, and teams can generally find some mismatch. Shutting us down requires better coaching and focus, not necessarily better personnel.

On defense, the only aspect of our philosophy that really gives us trouble in close games is fouling too frequently. We tend to be offering the bonus often, which instead of forcing our opponent to attack the same late game set defense I've just said we've struggled against, the opponent gets to go to the line for a highly efficient scoring chance. We have the athletic personnel to generate a lot of fouls ourselves, but a combination of our offense generating actually open plays (so no one is in position to even contest/foul) and in conjunction a predisposition towards finesse and skill instead of physicality leads to drawing less fouls than you'd expect.

Occasionally actual timeout Xs and Os and ATO plays make an impact, but they're not generally that big a deal. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Obviously the Villanova game last year it was huge. But most close games come down to less structured plays and more normal flowing offense vs. defense.

2) And that brings us to individual skill sets. A lot of offensive scheme design is about the fit of players and systems. You want to recruit and develop players to fit your system, and also tailor your system to specific player strengths (or cover up weaknesses). We run a LOT more off ball screen action this year for Jordan Hawkins, because he's a screen shooting savant. We ran a little for Tyler Polley previously, but nowhere near to this extent. We run a lot more plays designed to get Adama a free release or deep position in the post than we did when we had Whaley as starting center in 2020. Very good coaches are either really good at tailoring and modifying their systems, or really good at developing and identifying the right players. The greats do both at a high level.

But individual talents do matter for winning close games. One of the reasons we run less PnR and more sets is due to our personnel. We don't have elite dribble penetration or many 1v1 scoring threats. Hawkins and Jackson have weak handles relative to the other aspects of their game and subpar finishing abilities. Newton can do it at times. He's got the size and skill to finish in the paint, but he's more shifty than quick or explosive. He doesn't generate a ton of advantage and relies on savvy to draw fouls. But an opponent fouling is a two way street, and they have to participate. Teams like Creighton, Xavier, and Villanova don't bail you out by fouling (they're drilled explicitly not to foul as much as possible). Diarra is quicker and has an easier time getting to the rim, but he lacks the skill to finish under duress and the control/IQ to navigate the teeth of the defense. Adama is a great 1v1 player, but his type of offense is generally inefficient outside of truly elite play (or a favorable matchup) and requires setup, which can be disrupted (Kalkbrenner knocking away the pass with 1:30 left last game) or out-muscled (Soriano in the St. John's game).

To perhaps have saved a full 2 paragraphs, we have no one that can reliably create their own shot against a set defense who is prepared for our sets. It's one thing to play more freely, it's another to have elite talent who can generate advantages and then capitalize. It's unclear if staff thought Newton would be that guy and missed on the evaluation or if they just thought he fit the overall scheme very well (including having more beneficial size on defense).

3) Composure comes through in a lot of ways. People put this on the coach's personality a lot, and I'm sure there is some validity to that, because humans are social creatures and do pick up the emotions of others, especially leaders. But I think it's a lot more about experience and individual personality (mental skill set, if you will) and leadership ON the court. Foul shooting is the most obvious example of composure, but it's often about decision making, and specifically the speed at which you make those decisions. Not so fast that you're rushing things, and not so slow that you're getting trapped or missing opportunities. It's also things like keeping your shooting form consistent despite anxiety. Diarra is a killer, but he just doesn't have the bag to capitalize. Alleyne appears to have zero composure. He never moves smoothly even when he's playing confident and the stakes are low, which is why he's such a streaky shooter. Jackson's composure has taken a hit alongside his confidence. Newton has decent composure, but he needs more talent (handling, explosiveness) to really use it.

4) Luck is extremely important in close games. I'm not talking about KenPom's luck, but actual luck. There's just no way around it and we should not minimize its impact. Northwestern hits all their shots down the stretch and they beat Purdue. Hawkins' toe is on the line, so we lose. The ball bounces straight down right to a guy we had essentially forced under the basket in the Seton Hall game and he gets the rebound and we lose The better you play, the less susceptible you are to shooting variance and ball bounce luck. You make your own luck... to an extent. This is why for most teams and coaches, close game results even out over time, as personnel changes out and waxes and wanes in experience.

You're not going to have a record as poor as Dan's in close games without being deficient in a couple different areas. And as a basketball coach, you're not specifically optimizing for winning close games, but for best results overall. Ed Cooley has won a huge % of close games, but still only has 3 NCAA tournament wins in 17 years. Dan and Ed have the exact same career winning percentage (.604). But it's certainly a reasonable argument that maybe optimizing for close games should be a larger consideration to roster building and scheme strategy than simply just considered game to game tactics. Fouling less frequently on defense is the first thing I'd address, alongside prioritizing 1v1 creation when team building. Hopefully that's an area that the staff has already prioritized, and that Castle and Ball improve our team and close game record over the next couple of years. But Castle is likely one and done, and may not necessarily have the composure and skill yet to make a difference as a freshman.
1, 2, and 3 amount to this: We've been deficient in guard play. Every year. Except Jalen's season, but he had nothing else around him and Hurley was a brand new coach for the program. A pass on both ends.

I said we had no guards at beginning of season, I've been alternately quiet and critical this year, because I want to believe in Newton. I want to be positive. I let friends convince me he is a player. I don't see it. Every time he proves me wrong (and he has done it a few times this year, for sure ) he has proven me right more often.

Let's hope next year changes that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm still trying to figure out why AJ jumped when he did.

Because he's a rim runner and the PG should know that.

Even it wasn't Jackson, no way should a PG be trying to pass to a teammate that near the basket.

Old man yelling at clouds, but I am a big fan of whomever has the ball, and especially if it's a PG, you keep penetrating until the defense stops you. UConn players too often this year are passing before making the defender commits to stopping the ball. That has always been a fundamental aspect of fastbreak basketball. Make the defender stop the ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom