This team can still win | The Boneyard

This team can still win

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I might as well be the one to post this thread. I know spirits are down and I'm just as bummed out about CC's forced retirement but we shouldn't forget a few things which allow us to look somewhat positively on the upcoming "regular" season.

1) The defense: from the second half of the BYU game this group has allowed two offensive scores and has been pretty solid overall despite not getting QB pressure (I.e. Base defense being played). Overall, I think they performed better against BYU than Texas. They should keep us in games.

2) Geremy Davis: As bad as our passing game was last week, Davis still had over 100 yards and a TD. He makes the game easier for a QB, going up for 50/50 balls and with great hands. All we need is one other WR to step up...

3) Our schedule: The AAC isn't going to be good this year- every team that has played has already lost a game, some pretty badly. SMU looks down, as does Tulane and a few others. Add in Army and Temple and there are still some winnable games if we play without TO's. The margin for error is definitely smaller but we still have chances.

4) Prospect for improvement in the running game: This is the biggest one by far. I think we've all focused too much on the passing game without really looking at the running game. Down to 2 scholly QB's should put a lot of focus from our coaches on developing that running game that we all (minus TDH) would like to have. Once again, it won't be easy but Arkeel is a talent if put into the right space as do the other RB's.

Apologies for trying to be positive but I don't want to give up quite yet. Today is a dark day for the team and for the Cochrane family in particular but we can't afford to just give up and call it a day.

Reaction Score
I'm with you.
The running game is key going forward the rest of the season.

Also, if we could just generate a pass rush it would help with field position and possibly easier scores off of TO's.

No time to give up.

Time for the fans to step up too.

Paging the 12th man !!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Running against Boise isn't going to happen. Yell, kick and scream at me all you want. After Saturday I'll say I told ya so. Only chance we have against Boise is if we hit some long routes and have zero turnovers

Reaction Score
It'll only take one quality win to turn around the attitude of this board, and maybe even the fanbase as a whole.

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but I'll be there to cheer them on this Saturday.

I will be there as well!!!

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Running against Boise isn't going to happen. Yell, kick and scream at me all you want. After Saturday I'll say I told ya so. Only chance we have against Boise is if we hit some long routes and have zero turnovers

I'm talking entirety of the season, not just Boise St which is a game we likely lose (but we always have hope).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We may have to put more emphasis on running the football the rest of the season and that might not be a bad thing. We have some talent in the backfield. Get our OL fired up with a smash mouth style running game plan and rally behind Whitmer/Boyle/whoever they can find in the Co-Op. Get back to UCONN's identity under Edsall in our successful years and run the football like a hot knife through butter.

Reaction Score
I feel like this team could make the College Football playoff but don't know if they will be able to win the National Championship

Reaction Score
We may have to put more emphasis on running the football the rest of the season and that might not be a bad thing. We have some talent in the backfield. Get our OL fired up with a smash mouth style running game plan and rally behind Whitmer/Boyle/whoever they can find in the Co-Op. Get back to UCONN's identity under Edsall in our successful years and run the football like a hot knife through butter.

Unfortunately SB showed that if you stack the box, you can stuff the run on us. Whitmer/Boyle HAS to complete a few mid to long passes to open it up.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Unfortunately SB showed that if you stack the box, you can stuff the run on us. Whitmer/Boyle HAS to complete a few mid to long passes to open it up.

Just trying to make a little lemonade. Agree with you. Hit a couple of screens and slants and back the 2nd tier off the line a bit. Play-action the hell out of defenses.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

I feel like we're in a Jason Street - Friday Night Lights ordeal now. Much inspiration.

Reaction Score
Just trying to make a little lemonade. Agree with you. Hit a couple of screens and slants and back the 2nd tier off the line a bit. Play-action the hell out of defenses.
That is EXACTLY what we should be doing. Whitmer should be doing a lot of short passes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Yes a line that couldn't handle Stony Brook will just start blowing guys off the line.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yes a line that couldn't handle Stony Brook will just start blowing guys off the line.

Again, just trying to make lemonade here. Create a rallying cry and hope the team gets behind it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Again, just trying to make lemonade here. Create a rallying cry and hope the team gets behind it.

Oh the team is going to play better because of posts on the Boneyard.

I love ya Dooley but they are playing on National TV in front of tens of thousands of people....

While last year there were questions about effort... the other team is trying too - if you don't have the horses you don't have the horses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom