This Season's Team | The Boneyard

This Season's Team

Reaction Score
For those long-time fans, how would you rank this year's team in just pure fan enjoyment? Perhaps this question is a bit premature and would be better asked after the season. However, given where this group is now and where it was at the start of the season, how are you enjoying the season in relation to all the others? Is there more satisfaction seeing the girls play so well or did most of you generally expect these results and there really isn't much difference from one season to the next?

Reaction Score
Interesting question. So hard to compare teams, but have to say that watching this team's development has been extremely unique because the expectations were so low (relatively, for UConn) to start the year. Pheesa and Gabby are amazing in the paint, particularly considering their size. Kia has stopped pressing, is relaxed and does whatever the team needs, Lou seems to be able to score from anywhere this year and Saniya has become a reliable member of the team. All in just a few months. Have I mentioned that Gabby is nothing short of magical!!! As I watch tonight's game, she's one assist from a triple double with a full quarter to play. Love their individual personalities, but really admire how they've learned to mesh as a team. In only a few months. One of Geno and his staff's best jobs.

Reaction Score
This is UConn's most remarkable season. If UConn defeats South Carolina, I believe that Auriemma should be a unanimous selection for coach of the year. What he and these players have done is miraculous! And they've done it without a bench, and without a post player of imposing size.

Look at the dramatic improvements in these players: KLS, Napheesa, Gabby, Saniya. All with enormous improvements.

The most remarkable season ever.

Reaction Score
I would agree with "most remarkable." In terms of most enjoyable, it would be hard to top the Stef Dolson teams. She just exuded happiness that made people around her (except opponents, of course) smile. But this team, in part because of the continuing record-setting, sure is fun, too.

Reaction Score
How enjoyable? This team is like the 2004 Red Sox to Boston, the 2016 Cavaliers to Cleveland, or the 2016 Cubs to Chicago.

Ya gotta love them!:)

(I sure do.);)
Don't hold back Kib!

I lived through 67, 72, 75, 78, 86 and 2003, so the 2004 Red Sox are on an unreachable pedestal for me. But I agree with the gist of your comment. This team is special.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I took a gander at last season's South Carolina game:

Lou started, ran around a lot to not much avail, hardly shot the ball at all
Napheesa came in for a coupla minutes, was invisible;
Gabby showed a bit of Gabby, got some boards, scored a bit (if I remember correctly).
Saniya didn't play while the game was being decided
Kia was Kia

The scoring and the game, completely revolved around the big3, who had fine games.

Out of this current group, look what we have now.
This season is really, really remarkable.

Reaction Score
For those long-time fans, how would you rank this year's team in just pure fan enjoyment? Perhaps this question is a bit premature and would be better asked after the season. However, given where this group is now and where it was at the start of the season, how are you enjoying the season in relation to all the others? Is there more satisfaction seeing the girls play so well or did most of you generally expect these results and there really isn't much difference from one season to the next?

I would rank this team as overachievers (a bunch of them, to be exact). This year's team was/is playing with house money because no one expected them to be undefeated and/or be favorites for the National title. They have exceeded expectations and it's wonderful to watch.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They have exceeded expectations but as it turns out I don't think they are overachievers. To borrow a phrase from another sport, "these guys are good!"

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Most enjoyable is so hard to quantify -
I loved 2000 with Sue, Shea, Sveta and the rest, followed by 2001 adding in DT and the further development of the TASSK, and then 2002 which was just beautiful basketball.

Loved Tina, Rene, and Maya team, and the next year when it was two NPOYs on the same team in the same year.

And the last two years with Mo playing Gabby's role of constant motion and Stewart providing the Wow.

As others say, this year is so exciting because it wasn't expected be this good this quickly, especially after the first game. And it is such a balanced team - and there is a player to be cherished for every fan sensibility - senior making good: Saniya; steady at the helm: Kia; efficient scoring machine: Napheesa; wow producer: Gabby; scoring champ: Lou; future star: Crystal; freshmen trying to learn the ropes: Molly and Kyla; and of course the walk on turned scholarship player going for her fourth title: TLaw.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I would rank this team as overachievers (a bunch of them, to be exact). This year's team was/is playing with house money because no one expected them to be undefeated and/or be favorites for the National title. They have exceeded expectations and it's wonderful to watch.

No such condition as overachiever. You achieve what you achieve.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
This team hands down is the most exciting. Of course, at my age I can no longer remember the previous teams:p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom