This season will be . . . different. | The Boneyard

This season will be . . . different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can I get an "Amen!"?
Ordinarily, excluding the two one-and-done epicenters, if you heard, "yeah, they lost their best guard, their leader, a NC player, and they don't have a returning point guard," a person might think, "there is no way on G-d's Green Earth this team has any shot of going deep in March."
Ordinarily, he'd be correct.
In this case, however, wrong.
What Ollie has done is, frankly, brilliant. He essentially took what would have been a "rebuilding year" for which the goal would have been to make the tourni and get better for next year, and transformed it into a year in which it is not unrealistic to expect to be playing on the second weekend. The brilliant part of it is that he, essentially, applied a stop-gap that gives us great potential for this year, yet also allows for the continuation of return of perennial dominance, which his recent recruiting successes strongly portend.
Brilliant, and, as near as I recall, unprecedented.
The great personal irony here is that my only concern about Ollie when he was in his trial period for Warde was that I thought he might be too religious, while now, I can't stop thinking, we'd be a done program without him: "thank God we got Ollie. Thank God we got Ollie" [in the voice of Doug Williams at Emmitt Smith roast].

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
This is going to be a very good year! It may take a little bit of time for the gears to start working in synchronicity but when it does: WATCH OUT all the 1 and done Us

C

Chief00

Again, many of our key RPI games are early in the year - so it better not take us long to get the gears turning in sync.
In another post I see talk of great depth. Quite frankly, basketball is about 2 or 3 star players and then a few role players who altogether play with great chemistry. Too much depth with parity means too many unhappy guys on the bench, who think they are better than the guys playing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yep - that is the big downside to the American. (Correction - one of the big downsides.)

We don't have the luxury of taking time to get into sync.

The committee doesn't give two craps about who we beat in the AAC - they'll tune us out right after Texas on 12/29.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Yep - that is the big downside to the American. (Correction - one of the big downsides.)

The committee doesn't give two craps about who we beat in the AAC - they'll tune us out right after Texas on 12/29.
Or perhaps after Georgetown on 1/23.

Reaction Score
Again, many of our key RPI games are early in the year - so it better not take us long to get the gears turning in sync.
In another post I see talk of great depth. Quite frankly, basketball is about 2 or 3 star players and then a few role players who altogether play with great chemistry. Too much depth with parity means too many unhappy guys on the bench, who think they are better than the guys playing.

yes, i'm a notorious proponent of this teams juice awhile brimming with optimism about the seemingly loaded roster..i see a potential scintillating display of versatile hoop on both ends. BUT, the fact remains we need to see these guys on the court for my (our) vision to come to fruition, i'm thinking its going to happen. need to make a statement in these early bouts.

I don't see many teams with two point guards like Adams and Gibbs. Nor do i see teams with a DPOY and a guy who was the best defender in a d1 conference in their front court.
the pieces fit so damn well... it'll be rough/confusing if they struggle

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm pretty optimistic about the team, but i think someone needs to make some major improvements to their game for us to be really good. Someone needs to develop into a clear first round player. I think DHam has the best chance, but I'm not terribly optimistic. So far DHam has been a really great role player. He needs to be a star.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty optimistic about the team, but i think someone needs to make some major improvements to their game for us to be really good. Someone needs to develop into a clear first round player. I think DHam has the best chance, but I'm not terribly optimistic. So far DHam has been a really great role player. He needs to be a star.
DHAM and the staff know what he had/has to work on. IMO if he tightens up his handle and gets more consistency in his shooting, which we know he can because of the flashes he's shown, he will be a lottery pick. I know that's looking very far ahead but this kid has all the talent and BB IQ in the world

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
The more I think about it we may almost be in a situation where there may be too many mouths to feed. I agree we need that go to guy and I don't know who that will be. Gibbs was clutch at Seton Hall. Purvis had a few big shots last year. DHam, IMO will probably be the focal point of our offense. But whos hands are on the ball when the shot/game clock is winding down? With 6 guys that could be starters I am excited to see who shows out and demands that shot.

Reaction Score

He was a freshman and a damn good one at that.

C

Chief00

We will have played Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State and Texas before January 1, 2016. Additionally, if we beat Michigan we could play Cuse and someone else meaningful.
Excluding winning the conference championship - we will have a pretty good idea then of our tournament seeding. We need to hit the ground running.

Reaction Score
We will have played Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State and Texas before January 1, 2016. Additionally, if we beat Michigan we could play Cuse and someone else meaningful.
Excluding winning the conference championship - we will have a pretty good idea then of our tournament seeding. We need to hit the ground running.
The Michigan game is so big IMO because if you win that you probably guarantee yourself 2 more quality opponents in the tournament (Cuse and then Texas A&M/Texas/Gonzaga). It reminds me of the year we played Witchia St. in Maui. If you don't win that game you don't get the opportunity to play Michigan St. and Kentucky. Those wins were huge when talking about our tournament seeding.

While the American is not the old Big East, I still think UConn has (Cincy, Temple, Tulsa, SMU, Memphis all 2x) 10 games against quality opponents. But they really need to do some damage in the non-league part of their schedule.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He averaged 11, 8 and 4. You can call him a role player only if you establish that role was to be involved in everything we did on both sides of the floor.

Reaction Score
The Michigan game is so big IMO because if you win that you probably guarantee yourself 2 more quality opponents in the tournament (Cuse and then Texas A&M/Texas/Gonzaga). It reminds me of the year we played Witchia St. in Maui. If you don't win that game you don't get the opportunity to play Michigan St. and Kentucky. Those wins were huge when talking about our tournament seeding.

While the American is not the old Big East, I still think UConn has (Cincy, Temple, Tulsa, SMU, Memphis all 2x) 10 games against quality opponents. But they really need to do some damage in the non-league part of their schedule.
I agree that we need to do damage in these OOC games and that the Michigan game is big in terms of being able to play quality opponents after them. Your point about the better teams in the American is important as well. I believe (I'm sure someone will correct me if I have this wrong) that 25% of the RPI is your winning percentage. I think it is also very important to win the games we are supposed to win. We can't be losing to Houston and ECU and teams like that.

Reaction Score
He averaged 11, 8 and 4. You can call him a role player only if you establish that role was to be involved in everything we did on both sides of the floor.
Seems fair. Role player may be harsh of me to say. He's very good and well rounded. Maybe I was expecting too much from him. I want him to become the "guy", but I didn't really see that last year. I suppose that was really tough to do with Boatright on the team. Rip became the best player on the team by the end of his freshman year. Caron did so earlier than that. But neither of those guys had a teammate as good as Boat during their freshman year. I guess I'll just wait and see.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The only reason Ollie had a "off year" was because some thug from SMU knocked out Boat in first two minutes of the final of the AAC tournament.
Minus the knockout play, I believe UConn wins the AAC and goes on to the sweet 16 instead of UCLA.
Ollie had a great year coaching. He had settled on a starting five and each one of those players was playing his best ball. Boat went from a gunner to a guy who has a real chance of making an NBA roster. DHam went from a turnover machine to a rebounding machine while limiting his turnovers, Brimah went from a guy couldn't stay on the court long enough to break a sweat to dominating the defensive paint for long stretches in the 2nd half. Purvis improved the most over the season and began to hit his fouls shots and three pointers while playing a much better all around game. Even Nolan came back from the dead for the last five games and was very effective. Ollie had this team peaking at exactly the right time. And then Boat got knocked out two minutes into what could have been his Kemba time.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Can I get an "Amen!"?

The great personal irony here is that my only concern about Ollie when he was in his trial period for Warde was that I thought he might be too religious, while now, I can't stop thinking, we'd be a done program without him: "thank God we got Ollie. Thank God we got Ollie" [in the voice of Doug Williams at Emmitt Smith roast].
571.jpg

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Seems fair. Role player may be harsh of me to say. He's very good and well rounded. Maybe I was expecting too much from him. I want him to become the "guy", but I didn't really see that last year. I suppose that was really tough to do with Boatright on the team. Rip became the best player on the team by the end of his freshman year. Caron did so earlier than that. But neither of those guys had a teammate as good as Boat during their freshman year. I guess I'll just wait and see.
No doubt, and I'll even grant you I don't think he's got the same killer instincts as a Caron or a Rip. But I would bet on the lightbulb to go off for him in the back half of this year. I think we have so many weapons that Ollie will just keep tinkering until he finds the lineup that's cranking and we'll have many different leading scorers throughout the season.

Reaction Score
But whos hands are on the ball when the shot/game clock is winding down?
Without seeing more, I go with Hamilton.
Can score, can penetrate, can create his own shot, can dish low or high, and Damn, that man has flair in the hair, which has gotta count for something.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
IF DHam is a role player what AA is he backing up?????????????????/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky