this season - strong and weak schedules | The Boneyard

this season - strong and weak schedules

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I reviewed the BCS conference schedules. Opinions are my own, but I don't think many would disagree. Kudos and Boos to:

Big East - UConn and Notre Dame clearly have strong schedules. Pitt - nary a BCS opponent; Villanova not challenging themselves this year.

B1G - nothing particularly strong or weak. Purdue and Penn State play 3 decent opponents each (including UConn), nothing decent on Indiana's sched, although they do play Clemson from the ACC.

SEC - Tennessee and Texas A&M set themselves apart, with Kentucky and Vanderbilt also having fairly strong schedules. Unfortunately, Mississippi, Miss. St., Mizzou and South Carolina are mostly looking to feast on the little sisters.

ACC - Georgia Tech has the strongest sched - 5 quality opponents. After that, NC State may have the strongest schedule. I didn't think any were especially weak.

Big 12 - Baylor is the only really decent schedule, 4 strong opponents. OK State won't be seeing a BCS opponent before conference play, unless there's one in the Christmas Tourney they are in.

PAC12 - I'm not prejudiced. I believe most would acknowledge that Stanford, Cal and for some reason Washington State have crafted strong OOC schedules. My own Arizona Wildcats, however, get the 3rd BOO. No BCS opponents, I think BYU is their strongest. Last season we went 11-1 OOC, then finished close to last in the PAC. Sadly, expect about the same.

In case you are wondering, Rutgers plays Georgia, Miami and Tennessee as quality opponents, with Temple, Princeton (in state) and LaTech as the strongest non-BCS. Also play BC. The rest are, unfortunately, unremarkable, so a much weaker schedule than RU usually plays.

Reaction Score
Just by way of comparison, here's Delaware:

WNIT: Sam Houston State, then likely Georgetown, UNC and Iowa if the seeds play out and Delaware keeps winning.
Other BCS opponent games include Providence, Maryland, Villanova and St. John's.

Reaction Score
I reviewed the BCS conference schedules. Opinions are my own, but I don't think many would disagree. Kudos and Boos to:

Big East - UConn and Notre Dame clearly have strong schedules. Pitt - nary a BCS opponent; Villanova not challenging themselves this year.

B1G - nothing particularly strong or weak. Purdue and Penn State play 3 decent opponents each (including UConn), nothing decent on Indiana's sched, although they do play Clemson from the ACC.

SEC - Tennessee and Texas A&M set themselves apart, with Kentucky and Vanderbilt also having fairly strong schedules. Unfortunately, Mississippi, Miss. St., Mizzou and South Carolina are mostly looking to feast on the little sisters.

ACC - Georgia Tech has the strongest sched - 5 quality opponents. After that, NC State may have the strongest schedule. I didn't think any were especially weak.

Big 12 - Baylor is the only really decent schedule, 4 strong opponents. OK State won't be seeing a BCS opponent before conference play, unless there's one in the Christmas Tourney they are in.

PAC12 - I'm not prejudiced. I believe most would acknowledge that Stanford, Cal and for some reason Washington State have crafted strong OOC schedules. My own Arizona Wildcats, however, get the 3rd BOO. No BCS opponents, I think BYU is their strongest. Last season we went 11-1 OOC, then finished close to last in the PAC. Sadly, expect about the same.

In case you are wondering, Rutgers plays Georgia, Miami and Tennessee as quality opponents, with Temple, Princeton (in state) and LaTech as the strongest non-BCS. Also play BC. The rest are, unfortunately, unremarkable, so a much weaker schedule than RU usually plays.

Thanks;'or the info! Not alot of schools playing big time schedules! It will be interesting to see how this season plays out! Interesting note on Tenn which most probably know! Tenn attempted to get out of this year's game with Baylor asking if they could play the game next season lol w/o Griner and the 5 other SRS! Mulky basically said no because it didnt work for their scheduling!!!!!!
Ira

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

Agree on a UA, big Boo on that weak OOC schedule. All it does is keep the coach a job as team will have great OOC record and do nothing in Pac12 play and finish up around .500.

Big Disagree on Cal having a strong OOC record. In fact it isn't much to write about. OOC games vs teams that made the NCAA's last year are Duke, Kansas, and probably Georgetown. Cal has 6 other games vs teams over 150 RPI from last year.

Two teams with much tougher schedules are USC with 8 games vs teams from last years NCAA's - Gonzaga, Nebraska, UCSB, Fresno State, San Diego State, Texas AM, Duke and Vanderbilt. Even if you take off the 2 weaker games vs UCSB and Fresno St it is till tougher than Cals.
I would also say that UCLA's is way tougher than Cal's. UCLA has 6 games vs teams that made the NCAA's last year, including their first 4 games. The Bruins play - San Diego State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Princeton to start the season plus Texas and St Johns.

by the way ASU OOC schedule is weak too, IMO.

Do appreciate your effort in posting your selections.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Big Disagree on Cal having a strong OOC record. In fact it isn't much to write about. OOC games vs teams that made the NCAA's last year are Duke, Kansas, and probably Georgetown. Cal has 6 other games vs teams over 150 RPI from last year.

Two teams with much tougher schedules are USC with 8 games vs teams from last years NCAA's - Gonzaga, Nebraska, UCSB, Fresno State, San Diego State, Texas AM, Duke and Vanderbilt. Even if you take off the 2 weaker games vs UCSB and Fresno St it is till tougher than Cals.
I would also say that UCLA's is way tougher than Cal's. UCLA has 6 games vs teams that made the NCAA's last year, including their first 4 games. The Bruins play - San Diego State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Princeton to start the season plus Texas and St Johns.

by the way ASU OOC schedule is weak too, IMO.

Do appreciate your effort in posting your selections.
I credited Cal with Georgetown, Duke, Northwestern and Kansas. Don't knock it - most schools across the board are playing at most 2 BCS competition.
For USC I have Nebraska, Duke, Texas A&M, and Vanderbilt. My bad, just as good as Cal. Slightly better with Gonzaga. Fooey on the other schools, they should not be competition for a BCS school.
For UCLA I have Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Texas and St. John's. Neither Princeton or SDS should be beating them. About the same as the other.
You don't argue Stanford or the WTF Washington State sched - but do we really want to point out that there are actually 5 PAC schools with decent or better schedules.

ASU's schedule isn't "great", but with Texas Tech, NC State and Florida it's already ok, plus Providence and BC (at least they are BCS schools) and Dayton, which is a decent mid-major to play.

So I agree somewhat with you - but not 100%. My methodology does not give a hoot about last year's performances, per se - new teams and new realities. At the same time, I recognize that someone who was bad last year isn't going to be stellar this one. I firmly believe that any decent BCS school "should" beat all but a select few non-BCS schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom