This picture shows the difference between Liv and Ruthy | The Boneyard

This picture shows the difference between Liv and Ruthy

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Liv has to blow on the collision while Ruthy seems to just stand her ground. Liv has got to get stronger to dominate the best posts.

1582156677197.png

Reaction Score
Like Ruthy and Mcquire were with Gabby but 5" taller!

Reaction Score
Liv has to blow on the collision while Ruthy seems to just stand her ground. Liv has got to get stronger to dominate the best posts.

View attachment 51016
ONO unlikely to gain the bulk of Boston and similar players but can use her quickness to outplay them over time. Players this large typically do not elevate and if Liv keeps up with her turnarounds and drop steps she can outrun them, tire them out, and win the battle.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Amazing how so often, we focus on the weaknesses of players and not on their strengths. Based on Geno's comments, Liv is on the right track physically and mentally. Lets enjoy it.

Reaction Score

View attachment 51016

she's never going to out muscle the strongest post players but she can still be very effective.................not exactly equating the two but Stewie got out muscled plenty but somehow managed to win the war

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
she's never going to out muscle the strongest post players but she can still be very effective.................not exactly equating the two but Stewie got out muscled plenty but somehow managed to win the war

The difference is the coaching staff has to work harder to figure out creative ways for Liv to operate in the post with movement and not just try to outmuscle the opponent. When Stewie was getting muscled in the post too much, she could just go outside and hit 3 point shot after 3 point shot to open the paint

And by the way, am I the only one who continues to be annoyed with Meg Culmo every time Liv takes a fade away and says she should always take it strong to the glass. It is a good shot that gives her a nice counter opportunity and diversity to her game and Liv is very confident with it. Were people getting on Kareem for his sky hook? Head bang

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
And by the way, am I the only one who continues to be annoyed with Meg Culmo every time Liv takes a fade away and says she should always take it strong to the glass. It is a good shot that gives her a nice counter opportunity and diversity to her game and Liv is very confident with it. Were people getting on Kareem for his sky hook? Head bang
Not to mention Culmo ALWAYS saying (but only after a shot is missed) that they should be patient and run offense for 20 or 25 seconds before shooting. Later in the game, Maria reported from the sidelines that Geno was telling the team, "If you're open, shoot!" Yeah, Geno!

There will be times in March when UConn will have to make up a significant deficit in a relatively short time. They need to practice shooting and scoring quickly.

Re Olivia being muscled by opponents, there are several remedies for that:

1. She can cut to the basket from several feet away, which she should be able to do faster than defenders like Cox and Boston.

2. She can take 10 to 12 foot shots while a teammate downscreens those defenders.

3. She can acquire a running buddy in the paint (maybe someone like Aaliyah Edwards) who can play Tuck to her Stewie.

The last idea in particular appeals to me.

Reaction Score
The difference is the coaching staff has to work harder to figure out creative ways for Liv to operate in the post with movement and not just try to outmuscle the opponent. When Stewie was getting muscled in the post too much, she could just go outside and hit 3 point shot after 3 point shot to open the paint

the fade away is a fine weapon against other bigs but I think it can be overused against smaller or inferior defenders where the more aggressive route is the higher percentage shot..........she has a straight up mid range game to which we rarely see..............I hope she starts showcasing it because it will provide additional room for her to drive to the basket.........

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Liv looks pretty physical to me compared to last year. She's long and has a good frame. Hebard is not some super muscular physical force, she's extremely quick, coordinated, and has really good touch around the rim. She does her best work going around players and hitting short jumpers rather than powering through. I dont think ONO is a similar player. I recall ONO basically bulldozing Hebard on a play to get a layup. I think she'll be at her best as more of a power player than a finesse one. She'll never have the power or build of a Cox/Boston but she is quite long and could be a really good post if she consistently gets good position and develops better touch around the basket.

Reaction Score
the fade away is a fine weapon against other bigs but I think it can be overused against smaller or inferior defenders where the more aggressive route is the higher percentage shot..........she has a straight up mid range game to which we rarely see..............I hope she starts showcasing it because it will provide additional room for her to drive to the basket.........

She missed a few of those outside shots early in the season and has hesitated taking them since. For her those shots are like free throws, she doesn't have to jump with the way she shoots with the ball held high over her head.
UConn has exploited their posts' ability to hit that shot, like McClaren and Dolson. If ONO can hit that shot she forces defenses to bring their post out to guard her and big posts 15 feet from the basket are where they don't want to be, are much more easily beaten to the basket and leave the low post open for drives and offensive rebounds. An option offense needs lots of options.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom