This needs to be said | The Boneyard

This needs to be said

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Maybe it's because New Englanders are skeptics by nature. Perhaps it has to due with a large portion of our fan base being Red Sox fans who matured well before 2004, leading them to automatically assume the worst. Whatever the cause, that over the past two weeks we were unable to beat conference opponents who we were unable to beat over the past few years has caused many to the ledge.

I still remember early in Jim Calhoun's tenure when (even after winning the NIT) many questioned whether it was a mistake hiring him instead of (UConn alum) Tom Penders (who the same year as the NIT took URI to the sweet sixteen). I remember not much later hearing that we were behind (and always would be behind) Seton Hall, later, after missing the NCAA's in 2003 (due to a late season loss to PC followed by a first round BET loss to PC) hearing that JC has taken the team as far as he could and we needed a change.

One thing we need to accept as part of this equation is that Cincy has replaced their last three coaches, Temple has replaced their last two coaches and Houston has replaced (Briles & Sumlin) two of their last three coaches due to the success the achieved prior to leaving. What each of those coaches inherited was far different from what our current staff took over. Add to this that Houston, Philly and Cincinnati have more HS football talent within driving distance of than all of New England and New York State. The reality is that those schools can build teams off of what bigger schools overlook (and shame on Temple for taking as long as they have to build a decent program).

We will get where we want to be. We will be there within a couple of seasons but expecting it to happen much quicker than that may be a bit unrealistic.

Reaction Score
I understand that's part of the frustration but if we ever let those explanations become excuses for our condition, we're doomed. Great things only come from a "no roadblocks" attitude.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I agree Nos but I don't remember anyone on this staff claiming there were roadblocks. The prior (full) regime whined continuously (and erroneously) about the cupboard being bare. The (successful) regime before that had a figurehead who never let go of the trailers he worked from in his early years. While it isn't quite as affirmative as Jim Calhoun's "It's doable", what we have heard from this staff is the most encouraging (and self accountable) of anything we've had here.

Reaction Score
Agree with a lot of that, but like Nostical said, things like the recruiting gourds cannot be accepted as an excuse. If Diaco is good he will,overcome all that. If he is not he wont. If you can build big winners in Idaho and West Virginia, Connecticut shouldn't be impossible.

It's going to take time, changes will have to be made, maybe to the coaching staff. It's too early for me to give up on Diaco, this doesn't feel like it did with P, where you saw the program slipping by year 2.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Noey, with P it was pretty clear the program was slipping ny the Iowa St game.

Also, while I did point out the recruiting disadvantages, I don't believe any member of our current staff has pointed to it as an excuse. If I am wrong here I would love to see evidence.

Reaction Score
I understand that's part of the frustration but if we ever let those explanations become excuses for our condition, we're doomed. Great things only come from a "no roadblocks" attitude.

Believe it or not, your opinion on how the team is doing or how it is being coached has literally no impact in regards to what happens with the program.

Reaction Score

What a piece of misguided crap. Great things rarely come from a "no roadblocks" attitude. Great things are much more likely to come from recognizing what roadblocks are there and then figuring out how you are either going to remove it or avoid it.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's because New Englanders are skeptics by nature. Perhaps it has to due with a large portion of our fan base being Red Sox fans who matured well before 2004, leading them to automatically assume the worst. Whatever the cause, that over the past two weeks we were unable to beat conference opponents who we were unable to beat over the past few years has caused many to the ledge.

I still remember early in Jim Calhoun's tenure when (even after winning the NIT) many questioned whether it was a mistake hiring him instead of (UConn alum) Tom Penders (who the same year as the NIT took URI to the sweet sixteen). I remember not much later hearing that we were behind (and always would be behind) Seton Hall, later, after missing the NCAA's in 2003 (due to a late season loss to PC followed by a first round BET loss to PC) hearing that JC has taken the team as far as he could and we needed a change.

One thing we need to accept as part of this equation is that Cincy has replaced their last three coaches, Temple has replaced their last two coaches and Houston has replaced (Briles & Sumlin) two of their last three coaches due to the success the achieved prior to leaving. What each of those coaches inherited was far different from what our current staff took over. Add to this that Houston, Philly and Cincinnati have more HS football talent within driving distance of than all of New England and New York State. The reality is that those schools can build teams off of what bigger schools overlook (and shame on Temple for taking as long as they have to build a decent program).

We will get where we want to be. We will be there within a couple of seasons but expecting it to happen much quicker than that may be a bit unrealistic.

FCF I agree with you more times than not but if you pull out the JC comparison from the bag of tricks one more time I'm going to drink a gallon of antifreeze.

Reaction Score
Great things are much more likely to come from recognizing what roadblocks are there and then figuring out how you are either going to remove it or avoid it.

In case you didn't grasp it, thats exactly what "No Roadblocks" means. Not letting excuses stand in the way of reaching your goal. Not letting impediments deter you from the desired result. Of course you need to figure it out. Too many simply see the roadblock and get stymied or turn back. It's easy to make excuses. The players aren't fast enough or smart enough or strong enough. I believe none of those things are true. I believe the system they're playing isn't permitting them to succeed. For example, there have not been enough adjustments on offense to create scoring opportunities in the Red Zone. Those impediments are roadblocks to our success. There are coaches who can solve those issues. There are others who can't.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In case you didn't grasp it, thats exactly what "No Roadblocks" means. Not letting excuses stand in the way of reaching your goal. Not letting impediments deter you from the desired result. Of course you need to figure it out. Too many simply see the roadblock and get stymied or turn back. It's easy to make excuses. The players aren't fast enough or smart enough or strong enough. I believe none of those things are true. I believe the system they're playing isn't permitting them to succeed. For example, there have not been enough adjustments on offense to create scoring opportunities in the Red Zone. Those impediments are roadblocks to our success. There are coaches who can solve those issues. There are others who can't.

You are going on the record that the players are good and the coaches are bad?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
For the health and well being of certain members of this board I will not attempt to use events in the development of our men's basketball program while referring to our football program. I will however state why I make those references.

We went from a head coach (RE) who felt that whatever height he had brought us to at different times of his tenure was pretty much the high water mark of what we could be to a coach (PP) who never really believed we could be much more than what we were when he was still an assistant at Syracuse. When JC took over the men's hoops program he claimed "it's doable" when asked if we could one day be the equal of the top schools n our conference (who at that time were among the best in the NCAA). Our current football coach seems to believe something similar with regards to our football program. That in and of itself warrants him a full opportunity to prove himself in my book.

Reaction Score
You are going on the record that the players are good and the coaches are bad?

This isn't that controversial. The players clearly need to execute but are better than they have shown. Losses are due more to deficiencies in our coaching philosophies and overall play calling.

Reaction Score
This isn't that controversial. The players clearly need to execute but are better than they have shown. Losses are due more to deficiencies in our coaching philosophies and overall play calling.

Do you think maybe your perspective is skewed by hanging out with too many parents of the players?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Didn't claim it was controversial. Just asking if are saying the 3-5 record is a function of players or coaches.

Reaction Score
r

It's great you believe the players are good enough. You can believe whatever you want. That particular belief is contrary to all evidence.

Reaction Score
Didn't claim it was controversial. Just asking if are saying the 3-5 record is a function of players or coaches.
Combination of both. Coaches were less than stellar against usf. Didn't expect to win this last game.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I have, thankfully, seen no evidence from within the program that anyone is looking to separate players from coaching. I'm going to follow that example with the caveat that whether you are looking at talent, or scheme, or philosphy, or for that matter offense, defense & specials, success is a function of these things lining up in a complementary manner. Progress may not be consistent across that spectrum and where there are gaps, there is room for a chicken and egg argument about blame, but I think the intent is for them to all arrive at the same place. Obviously, rebuilding the roster is the long-pole in the tent in terms of time lines but other parts of the rebuild take time as well such as installing and teaching your systems, building strength and conditioning, teaching individual techniques to win one-on-one battles.... there are a lot of things that have to happen and I think we are seeing a lot of them. Personally, I like the commitment to a total rebuild done the right way, I just hope the school has the patience to bear it out.

Reaction Score

Jim Calhoun comparisons are the Boneyard's version of the Godwin law/rule.

Reaction Score

So basically the current coaching staff is a road-block. Got it.

Reaction Score
A couple things different with Connecticut from Idaho and W. Virginia is that they are much larger states with a lot more kids playing high school football and.... in those states football is king, not basketball or soccer. The instate recruiting pool here is ridiculously small and that will always be a disadvantage. How much of a disadvantage? That's up to the coaching staff.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So we are arguing the cupboard is bare after this team played Missouri and BYU close into the 4th quarter? Pasqualoni may have been mailing it in, but he was still a good recruiter and UConn was beating decent program for talent during his tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom