This Makes Up for Creighton | The Boneyard

This Makes Up for Creighton

Reaction Score
To be down 18 in the second half on the road to a decent team, when you have trouble scoring, and your best player is hurt and finishes with 6 points, and you WIN...in my mind makes up for the Creighton loss, and how it happened. Tyler was AMAZING. We played great defense and out rebounded them by 14. To be down 18 in the 2nd half and then win by double digits on the road is an incredible feat.

We are 5-1, have 2 quad 1 wins, and we still aren't whole yet.

I didn't want to dump this into the Cole/Gaffney debate...but do people realize we have now played 3 games in 33 days, including last night? A chunk of that time, we were not able to practice as team. I think it's crazy that people are making evaluations on players when we have had no chance to get into any kind of rhythm. Cole may end up not being the player we thought he was, but he sat out last year, and needs reps. And Gaffney is still a sophomore, who needs reps. Game action.

Hopefully we can get into a rhythm now with games. Butler and DePaul on the road will be good tests coming up. I imagine a win at Butler on Saturday will get us ranked for the first time in 5 years.

And stop letting people like @Tenspro2002 make you worry about the NET. Not only is it too early, but we've only played 6 games. The team we played last night has played double the amount of games we have played so far this year. Just keep taking care of business, get healthy, and get games in.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
And stop letting people like @Tenspro2002 make you worry about the NET. Not only is it too early, but we've only played 6 games. The team we played last night has played double the amount of games we have played so far this year. Just keep taking care of business, get healthy, and get games in.

Any ranking system is going to be wonky this year, due to game count mismatches and a general lack of OOC games.

In our case, i also openly wonder if a little bit of our "surge" is due to shedding last year's weighting (I've always wished KenPom and others would publish their weightings over time). NET might not have the same weight, hence the discrepency.

I miss the transparency of the RPI :(

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
To be down 18 in the second half on the road to a decent team, when you have trouble scoring, and your best player is hurt and finishes with 6 points, and you WIN...in my mind makes up for the Creighton loss, and how it happened. Tyler was AMAZING. We played great defense and out rebounded them by 14. To be down 18 in the 2nd half and then win by double digits on the road is an incredible feat.

We are 5-1, have 2 quad 1 wins, and we still aren't whole yet.

I didn't want to dump this into the Cole/Gaffney debate...but do people realize we have now played 3 games in 33 days, including last night? A chunk of that time, we were not able to practice as team. I think it's crazy that people are making evaluations on players when we have had no chance to get into any kind of rhythm. Cole may end up not being the player we thought he was, but he sat out last year, and needs reps. And Gaffney is still a sophomore, who needs reps. Game action.

Hopefully we can get into a rhythm now with games. Butler and DePaul on the road will be good tests coming up. I imagine a win at Butler on Saturday will get us ranked for the first time in 5 years.

I agree with all that. Great team win

That is the biggest thing with us right now (highlighted. UCONN needs to rethink how they approach their protocol. I think Cole is and will be good but I think Gaffney's ceiling is higher. Gaffney will be a very good player. Hurley has to change something with how he handles timeouts and subs. Getting down big and then fighting back for a win constantly is going to bite us in the butt when we play Nova and the better teams.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Great Win
Great Effort
Good to see you again Mr Polley
BUT - it does not make up for Creighton in my mind
This team could be undefeated
Hopefully this will be a character builder - UConn has two wins and a 4-1 league record staring at them coming up before the Nova game (hopefully)

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Great Win! Great Heart! Great Team!

Nothing makes up for Creighton. Every time I look at the record, I will think of the way it could have been.

Reaction Score
Great Win! Great Heart! Great Team!

Nothing makes up for Creighton. Every time I look at the record, I will think of the way it could have been.
Agreed. I would trade a two point loss to Marquette for a 9 point victory over Creighton.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I would trade a two point loss to Marquette for a 9 point victory over Creighton.

ha, but that’s not the trade.

it’s either our current record with actual outcomes

OR

take a narrow win over Creighton and then a beat down by Marquette.

I don’t want any more humiliating losses.

this team is showing true grit ... I like our story so far

C

Chief00

We do need to get games in. Still trying to figure out what the Big East strategy is on that?

Reaction Score
didn't they set aside 2 weeks for makeup games?
Yep. And looks like all the games needed are there in the schedule on ESPN... all except Nova :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom