THIS makes me nauseous. | The Boneyard

THIS makes me nauseous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The night UL was confirmed as the ACC's choice was the night our athletic program took a mortal wound. Some people here were mystified by all the panic and blame going around. We might keep the basketball programs alive in some diminished level, but football is done.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The line of demarcation keeps darkening. To date, Aresco has succeeded at nothing.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...aller-conferences-look-add-bowl-games-sources

have some faith man. warde is monitoring the situation. aresco is down at rice right now selling them on tulane and tulsa being the perfect triangle for the aac. have a pina colada and enjoy the island. did u know that once years ago tim duncan took a poop behind that tree over there and then he took a boat to north carolina where he bounced a round object so well that the spurs singed him. the spurs! thats like only 30 minutes from where rice is located. can't you see the connections warde has? they are deep. we win will win be win fine win because win we win win.

Reaction Score
If our fans give up quicker than ECU fans, we shoot ourselves in the foot.

Reaction Score
I think Aresco would have been the right guy to take over in 2004, maybe even 2010 or so, but he has been a disaster and I suspect not the right guy for the current situation. We needed a commissioner who knew where the bodies were buried and was willing to use every trick in the book. On the other hand, I can think of no circumstance where John Marinnatto was the right commissioner.

Reaction Score
If our fans give up quicker than ECU fans, we shoot ourselves in the foot.
So you're willing to go to Little Rock Arkansas to see the AAC champ play the Sunbelt Champ in the Whitewater Land Trust Bowl, Butch?

Reaction Score
maybe the group 5 schools should start our own playoff..? saw this in one of the comments of the article, but sounds like a good idea

Reaction Score
So you're willing to go to Little Rock Arkansas to see the AAC champ play the Sunbelt Champ in the Whitewater Land Trust Bowl, Butch?
If I had the means, yeah.

Reaction Score
If I had the means, yeah.
Butch, come on. You ain't traveling to little rock to watch us play Louisiana Monroe and I wouldn't blame anybody for making that same decision. This coming from a guy that went to Detroit to see us play Toledo.

Reaction Score
The night UL was confirmed as the ACC's choice was the night our athletic program took a mortal wound. Some people here were mystified by all the panic and blame going around. We might keep the basketball programs alive in some diminished level, but football is done.
Sad but true. We are operating in a small window/time frame here. It may have already ,on us. I for one am just going to enjoy our home games, but realistically it sucks to be where we are at.

Reaction Score
Butch, come on. You ain't traveling to little rock to watch us play Louisiana Monroe and I wouldn't blame anybody for making that same decision. This coming from a guy that went to Detroit to see us play Toledo.
That's what YOU would do. Who are you to say what I would do?

Reaction Score
The bowls are going to become irrelevant in 3 years when they go t an 8 team playoff. No one is going to want to watch irrelevant bowl when that happens.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think think the odds were ever in his favor, but Aresco has managed to win exactly zero battles on his way towards losing the war.

Reaction Score
That's what YOU would do. Who are you to say what I would do?
You took it wrong. I didn't really have the means for the Detroit trip, and the world tek package sucked, but I told myself I couldn't Miss it, so I charged it. The good news for you sometime in the near future, our fans will have the choice of making such a choice again.

Reaction Score
I actually agree with freescooter, here. At one time Aresco would have prolly been the perfect hire. Sadly for us that time is not now.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The bowls are going to become irrelevant in 3 years when they go t an 8 team playoff. No one is going to want to watch irrelevant bowl when that happens.

this to a degree

what the big boys want is
8 team playoff
10-20 other bowls which will be like nit type games.

Reaction Score
this to a degree

8 team playoff

Those bowl games though don't pay much and are a money loser for schools. So, ultimately, the idea of a bowl game is going to be very underwhelming.

Reaction Score
this to a degree

8 team playoff

I'd be very surprised if an 8-team playoff (which I agree is more likely than not going to happen no matter what the powers that be say) isn't incorporated into the bowls:

Rose: Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Sugar: SEC vs. at-large
Orange: ACC vs. at-large
Cotton: Big 12 vs. at-large

Winners of those 4 bowls move on in the playoffs. The power conferences keep control of the system and revenue, the prestigious bowls that feature power conferences are maintained, and the power conference championship games become de facto playoff games (which in turn drives more revenue toward them) . It's not an accident that every single thing that I just said was geared toward what the power conferences want: I think that they'll eventually go to 8, but it will be on their terms where they're able to capture almost all of the financial upside. Fans might say that they're weary of the bowls, but they're still a mechanism for the power conferences to control the overall system and continue to provide better rated programming for ESPN than 95% of non-NFL events (the latter of which explains more than anything why they continue to exist despite being perceived as "meaningless").

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Unless you live/work in the host city, root for one of the two participants, or are a problem gambler, every bowl is irrelevant now except for the National Championship game. The bowls are good for background noise as you recover from the hangover, expertly acquired the night before.

Reaction Score

I agree that a future expansion will probably piggy back on the bowl system but I'd be surprised if those are the pairings - Pac-12 & Big Ten would be at too much of a disadvantage systematically and would make the playoffs less often the other bowls.

Reaction Score
I agree that a future expansion will probably piggy back on the bowl system but I'd be surprised if those are the pairings - Pac-12 & Big Ten would be at too much of a disadvantage systematically and would make the playoffs less often the other bowls.

Don't underestimate how critical preserving the Rose Bowl is to the Big Ten and Pac-12. The SEC would drop its faceoff with the Big 12 champ in a heartbeat if we went to a bowl-based playoff system, but the Big Ten/Pac-12 would likely look at it as an opportunity to make the Rose Bowl into the premier college football event of the year again. With 4 bowls, there's inherently going to be one power conference vs. power conference matchup, and there's really only one power conference vs. power conference matchup that stands the test of time (the Rose Bowl pairing).

Reaction Score
Oh, I understand the link to the Rose Bowl - in fact, this setup is very similar to the original Plus-one idea that the Pac 12+Big Ten were pushing last year. However, now that we're already in a scenario when the Rose bowl will not always be a Pac 12/Big Ten affair every year in the 4-team playoff I don't see them turning back time for nostalgia's sake.

I think if this scenario were to happen they'll rotate the power conf. vs power conf. match up over a set time period so that each of the power conferences have equal exposure...kind of how the playoff is currently setup.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

There is no way I'd go to that hypothetical bowl game (UConn vs. Sun Belt in Podunk, LA), but I would buy and donate tickets. I have done that every bowl season and I'd suggest we all do that same or else our AAC sentence will turn into a life sentence.

Reaction Score
I'd be very surprised if an 8-team playoff (which I agree is more likely than not going to happen no matter what the powers that be say) isn't incorporated into the bowls:

Winners of those 4 bowls move on in the playoffs. The power conferences keep control of the system and revenue, the prestigious bowls that feature power conferences are maintained, and the power conference championship games become de facto playoff games (which in turn drives more revenue toward them) . It's not an accident that every single thing that I just said was geared toward what the power conferences want: I think that they'll eventually go to 8, but it will be on their terms where they're able to capture almost all of the financial upside. Fans might say that they're weary of the bowls, but they're still a mechanism for the power conferences to control the overall system and continue to provide better rated programming for ESPN than 95% of non-NFL events (the latter of which explains more than anything why they continue to exist despite being perceived as "meaningless").

Frank. I am intrigued by your idea but curious about the logistics. These bowl games would be played around January 1. Where and when would the semi-final be played? Where and when would the final be played? As you know, one of the arguments, advanced by some, against the playoff system was the idea of not extending the season into the second semester. Do you still see this as an obstacle for implementation of an eight team bowl based playoff system?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Hold up...it said the Military Bowl is looking to match up "Power Five" schools....isn't that a bowl that has Navy as an auto bid if they become bowl eligible? So they're going to kick Navy out of their slot because they're joining the AAC? Wasn't Carl touting how adding Navy will give us clout of not being shut out and all that crap? Looks like no one gives a if you aren't in the "Power Five".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom