Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Last edited:

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Don't forget our friend Majok at #3

Reaction Score
Stanley was called a bust? If I recall correctly, he was ranked around 20. He played well his senior year, but when you consider the NBA draft takes players from all over the world, then being the 59th player drafted, when you'r ranked 20th coming out of USA high schools, well that's hardly a bust. 7 players selected ahead of him were imports.

Reaction Score
Stanley was called a bust? If I recall correctly, he was ranked around 20. He played well his senior year, but when you consider the NBA draft takes players from all over the world, then being the 59th player drafted, when you'r ranked 20th coming out of USA high schools, well that's hardly a bust. 7 players selected ahead of him were imports.

I don't understand the point you're making. Because he was ranked 20th coming out of high school being drafted 59th four years later is "hardly a bust"? What about the 180 guys drafted before his senior year?

Reaction Score

#19 RSCI, played all 4 years of college and never played an NBA game, injuries wrecked him after college but yes, that's probably considered a bust by the general masses.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the point you're making. Because he was ranked 20th coming out of high school being drafted 59th four years later is "hardly a bust"? What about the 180 guys drafted before his senior year?

180 kids what?
???

There are also kids ranked 1-20 every year too!

There are also some years where the kids ranked 10-20 are much worse than the kids ranked 30-40 the next year.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Come on, blue glasses off. Love Stanley, but if he had a Cuse or Pitt jersey on from 2006-2010 the consensus would 100% be that he was a bust.

Reaction Score
Let me give a few examples of how many kids get ranked in top 20 and didn't make the NBA:

2007: Taylor King, Jai Lucas, Corey Stokes, Corey Fisher, Nick Calathes, Austin Freeman
2008: Sylven Landesberg, Mike Rosario, [Delvon Roe was mentioned in article], William Buford, Willie Warren, Scotty Hopson

By the way, in 2008, the second best player in the country was Samardo Samuels.

So, it seems that about 30% of the top 20 in just these two years didn't make the NBA.

Reaction Score
Come on, blue glasses off. Love Stanley, but if he had a Cuse or Pitt jersey on from 2006-2010 the consensus would 100% be that he was a bust.

One of the biggest busts of the decade?

By the way, who had a better career, Alex Oriakhi or Stanley Robinson?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I just looked at the drafts. 30% of the top 20 doesn't make it.

By the way, this is 2009: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2009/order/true

10 busts. 9 ranked higher than Stanley.
The reason he's considered a bigger bust is because he had NBA level size and athleticism from the day he stepped on campus and never really improved to anywhere near the level that most foresaw. I wouldn't necessarily say he's a top 20 bust of the last decade, but I can understand why he'd be ranked as a bigger bust than higher ranked high schools kids who had similar (or slightly less) success.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The reason he's considered a bigger bust is because he had NBA level size and athleticism from the day he stepped on campus and never really improved to anywhere near the level that most foresaw.

Don't tell that to some people on here.

Stanley is one of those kids who was maybe ranked a bit too high in high school, probably because his athleticism allowed him to crush the lesser developed kids.

His biggest problem was his head; he didn't have that killer type of personality, almost too nice. I know people don't like that type of depiction, but that's how I feel about it. Give him Kemba's will/balls, and we'd be talking about a totally different player imo.

Reaction Score
I still feel responsible for Majok committing to us. Me and fellow boneyarder @campcalhoun2009 saw him walking down the road from Carriage to Celeron, we saw him and immediately started a WE WANT MAJOK chant. People surrounding us started chanting too because they were drunk and chanting while drunk is never not fun. The very next morning BOOM Majok committed. Coincidence? I think not.

Reaction Score
I still feel responsible for Majok committing to us. Me and fellow boneyarder @campcalhoun2009 saw him walking down the road from Carriage to Celeron, we saw him and immediately started a WE WANT MAJOK chant. People surrounding us started chanting too because they were drunk and chanting while drunk is never not fun. The very next morning BOOM Majok committed. Coincidence? I think not.
It was YOU

Reaction Score
Stanley was not a bust unless you weren't watching his progression as both a student athlete and a kid/person. What he achieved was simply Husky-esque and anyone believing otherwise isn't looking at the whole picture here. Great kid, wanted to be a Husky and stay a Husky through tough times and easily could have left. Instead stuck it out and made a notch for himself in the Huskies totem pole. Not at all a bust to me.

Reaction Score
On what planet? First of all, a ton of these kids are properly described as busts. Renardo Sidney is one of the most famous busts of all time.

Upstater's NBA/no NBA distinction is a red herring. Stanley never approached a legitimate career in Europe. Extenuating circumstances to be sure, but the kid was a bust. (As a player, mau, not a kid.)

I think this deserves a mic drop . . . .

Reaction Score
On what planet? First of all, a ton of these kids are properly described as busts. Renardo Sidney is one of the most famous busts of all time.

Upstater's NBA/no NBA distinction is a red herring. Stanley never approached a legitimate career in Europe. Extenuating circumstances to be sure, but the kid was a bust. (As a player, mau, not a kid.)

Disagree. Actually to be a "bust" you would have to be ranked accordingly. He was most definitely ranked too high relative to his skill set once he arrived. Still could be regarded as a bust I guess, but imagine what Joey Beard, Casey Sanders and so many Duke players were according to their rankings, I guess the same. But we all know they were ranked higher because of the fact they were going to attend Duke right? Fact is JC got a heck of a lot more out of Stanley than so many of those Duke transfers from what I remember who were ranked near or higher than he was.

Again, to me not a bust as a player or a kid. Liked what he did for the team and what he did as a kid to say a Husky. He head a run and a half to help get the team to the FF that's for sure. A bust couldn't do that!

Reaction Score
I didn't look at the list BUT:

If the list is talking about what they did as a professional basketball player, fine.

If the list is talking about how they panned out for the coaches that recruited them, I have a hard time believing a guy who was a starter on a final four team and averaged ~ 14.5 and 7.5 his senior year in the big east was in the top 20 least successful 5 star players over that time period.

Not to mention the highlight reel fame he attained with his thunder dunks.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

The word bust is so strong - and used too liberally
I would say he under achieved in many areas but I'm with Mau on this one
If he had walked away then he is a bust but he stuck it out and did supply some highlights

Reaction Score
I didn't look at the list BUT:

If the list is talking about what they did as a professional basketball player, fine.

If the list is talking about how they panned out for the coaches that recruited them, I have a hard time believing a guy who was a starter on a final four team and averaged ~ 14.5 and 7.5 his senior year in the big east was in the top 20 least successful 5 star players over that time period.

Not to mention the highlight reel fame he attained with his thunder dunks.
Pretty much my thoughts also. I think it's hard to label Sticks a bust at UConn. Most people probably expected him to have a better career at UConn when he committed as a 5 star recruit. But a bust? Hardly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom