THIS is what will complete Hurley's march to greatness | The Boneyard

THIS is what will complete Hurley's march to greatness

Reaction Score
Alot of us here on the Boneyard wondered why prior coach Ollie didn't take advantage of his Hall of Fame predecessor Coach Calhoun, asking for his advice and wisdom. Here is what Hurley said shortly after the Binghamton game and upon hearing of JC's retirement announcement (from ESPN):

NEW/OLD MENTOR

Longtime UConn coach Jim Calhoun has some time on his hands again, and Hurley wouldn’t be surprised to see Calhoun at a lot of the Huskies’ practices this season. Calhoun, 79, stepped down Thursday as the coach at Division III Saint Joseph.

“I hope so. It’ll be great to see Coach around,” Hurley said. “The downside for me when Coach decided to stay coaching — it was awesome to see, it was inspirational to see, like a true coach continuing on because he loves being a coach, molding young men, and winning. But to not have him around during the winter as a resource has sucked. The fact that Coach is going to be around a lot is awesome. That’s going to be great for me who is still a relatively young coach.”

This reminds me of the quote attributed to President Woodrow Wilson who said: "I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow." Coach Hurley is open to learning from one of the greatest collegiate coaches of all time...shows how humble and grounded he is.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Alot of us here on the Boneyard wondered why prior coach Ollie didn't take advantage of his Hall of Fame predecessor Coach Calhoun, asking for his advice and wisdom. Here is what Hurley said shortly after the Binghamton game and upon hearing of JC's retirement announcement (from ESPN):

NEW/OLD MENTOR

Longtime UConn coach Jim Calhoun has some time on his hands again, and Hurley wouldn’t be surprised to see Calhoun at a lot of the Huskies’ practices this season. Calhoun, 79, stepped down Thursday as the coach at Division III Saint Joseph.

“I hope so. It’ll be great to see Coach around,” Hurley said. “The downside for me when Coach decided to stay coaching — it was awesome to see, it was inspirational to see, like a true coach continuing on because he loves being a coach, molding young men, and winning. But to not have him around during the winter as a resource has sucked. The fact that Coach is going to be around a lot is awesome. That’s going to be great for me who is still a relatively young coach.”

This reminds me of the quote attributed to President Woodrow Wilson who said: "I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow." Coach Hurley is open to learning from one of the greatest collegiate coaches of all time...shows how humble and grounded he is.
Pure Gold

Reaction Score
I love the idea of Calhoun mentoring all of the players on a one on one basis because nobody pushed buttons better than Calhoun. I remember the story of Calhoun telling Daniels prior to the 2014 final four that "Nobody is talking about you", then Daniels goes on to play the best game of his life vs Florida.

Reaction Score
DH has his dad on one side and now literally one of the all time greats on the other and hes open to all the knowledge that will be dropped. How can he possibly fail?

Reaction Score
DH has his dad on one side and now literally one of the all time greats on the other and hes open to all the knowledge that will be dropped. How can he possibly fail?
And geno down the hall. And coach Daly for that matter. 4 Hallers.

Reaction Score
I love the idea of Calhoun mentoring all of the players on a one on one basis because nobody pushed buttons better than Calhoun. I remember the story of Calhoun telling Daniels prior to the 2014 final four that "Nobody is talking about you", then Daniels goes on to play the best game of his life vs Florida.
Yes, this is the kind of insight into players' motivation that can help DH...although I can never imagine Hurley swearing at a player as he pulls him off the court by his jersey!

Reaction Score
OP by @Okafour rings says it all. DH is accepting accountability and is aware that he needs to work on some coaching stuff and having access to JC is gold.

For those that don't remember. JC had his share of L's early in his UConn career where he was outcoached by HOF coaches in the BE. He learned and had his own HOF legacy.

DH is too passionate/proud/intelligent not to learn and grow. Like CBB players evolve and grow.. So do their coaches.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Am I reading this right? JC bailed on St. Joe's and now has an office at UConn?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom