This is what depth is for | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This is what depth is for

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yeah, that Maya Moore was way too unpredictable as a freshman. :rolleyes:
I didn’t say he didn’t start freshmen - after all, Paige started all last season. I said he doesn’t like to start them. Nika is on the bench, has experience as a starter and is a point guard. Geno has a viable option so I’m guessing he won’t start the freshman who has less than 40 total minutes game experience.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
As
I'll give you three reasons.

1. Sometimes the sixth person can be more valuable than some of the starting five. Havlicek is perhaps the most famous example, but UConn has its own precedent in Sales and Ralph, two players as freshmen clearly better than some of the starting five, but came off the bench nonetheless throughout the entire year.

2. One of the factors that gives a sixth person value is versatility, the ability to play multiple positions and/or provide help on defense/offense. That allows the coach to assess what might be going wrong at the start of a particular game and better plug in the ingredient to fix it. In contrast, players who specialize in a role provide a greater chance of starting a game without surprises, something Auriemma in particular values. Muhl is the most specialized, Ducharme the most versatile, out of all the options.

3. Experience also helps to minimize surprises for a coach. Muhl has the most experience of the options, particularly for the needed PG role. She may not get as many minutes in the end if Ducharme really shines, similar to Doty not getting the same minutes as Hartley, but she still is the most likely to start the game off on the right foot, ie, make the least mistakes.
BTW, does anyone know the status of BudFrog, a former BYer? He used to be very perturbed that Auriemma never started Ralph her freshman year. Does he have a new handle?

Reaction Score
I don't know why some see the other team members as cannon fodder. They are more than capable, otherwise, they wouldn't be on the team. They'll be fine.
exactly right.........nobody can replace Paige but Nika and CD will be fine and it would be wise to look for more production from ONO, Dorka and maybe the even the other posts by pounding the ball inside.........

Reaction Score
I didn’t say he didn’t start freshmen - after all, Paige started all last season. I said he doesn’t like to start them. Nika is on the bench, has experience as a starter and is a point guard. Geno has a viable option so I’m guessing he won’t start the freshman who has less than 40 total minutes game experience.
All I’m saying is I think he might have to, similar to what happened to Maya her freshman year.

Reaction Score
..... hopefully you can better ride out injuries

Some years it's not needed so depth could seem unimportant
Then there's this year

A Nika-CW-EW-AE-Ono lineup is still pretty good, esp with Dorka and CD off the bench.

Just hoping that this isnt a repeat of 98-99, which was injury plagued* and the 2nd weakest team in the last 25 years.

* Bird ACL, Swin stress fracture, I think Shea broke her hand, Walters had various ailments IIRC, others
98-99 was rough but the next five years worked out ok

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
We have 3 injured players and 3 that Geno will not play under any circumstances. How much depth does that really leave?
You only need 6 players anyway.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Depth is a funny and tenuous thing. Pre-season, the talking heads were raving about UConn's depth, blah blah blah. And yes, there are many teams out there that would love our depth. The reality is that expectations in regards to performance and execution may be higher here than at other schools, so depth may be more of an "on paper" thing, rather than the reality at UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom