This is the most disheartening UConn loss since . . . | The Boneyard

This is the most disheartening UConn loss since . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since the UConn allowed Rutgers to score on an 81 yard TD pass with 22 seconds left for a 28-24. I remember feeling sick to my stomach that day. In fact I never saw the receiver actually cross the goal line. Just turned and walk out as he was approaching the 10 yard line. That was an awful loss. Today may have topped that because Bobby-Boy D never gave his team a real chance at winning this game.

Reaction Score
I woke up this morning asking the last time I was so hurt by a loss. You're right, it's the worst since Aaron Bagsby took out our secondary and cleared Tim Brown's path to the endzone. This wasn't as bad as that, because it wasn't following anyone's death, but this was the worst since.

Reaction Score
Aaron Bagsby was a good young man when he was here. Making an awful play is not a moral offense, and I wish him nothing but the best in his life going forward. But there is no real reason to sugarcoat what everyone saw -- it was a horrific play in a situation where you can't make a play that horrific. Doesn't mean he wasn't trying.

Reaction Score
My tirade scared my family into their bedrooms yesterday for the 1st time since that Rutgers return.
Yes, that was a few weeks after Jazz' death, but yesterday was anger. Starting with the timeout and ending with me walking down the street. ... Hopefully we're all a little calmer today. ...But ...

Reaction Score
My tirade scared my family into their bedrooms yesterday for the 1st time since that Rutgers return.
Yes, that was a few weeks after Jazz' death, but yesterday was anger. Starting with the timeout and ending with me walking down the street. ... Hopefully we're all a little calmer today. ...But ...

My tirade sent my wife shopping. Lol. When I referenced the Rutgers game, I wasn't connecting it to JH's death. I was thinking of it as a game that UConn could have, should have - had won in the Rutgers contest - but absolutely pissed it away. As for calmer . . . no!
In '09, the UConn program was in a "Power Conference" - the Big East - and they were in an ascending pattern (soon to defeat Notre Dame and South Carolina and a year away from the Fiesta Bowl). This program is soon to see its only hope at a P5 conference slot taking by Houston and Cincy. There is an urgency that losing to Navy yesterday was a multiplier of bad timing.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I can't remember a worse UConn loss because this was self-inflicted. It wasn't due to anything someone else did to us.

As a Patriot fan, I have to go back to the 1976 AFC Divisional playoff game where the Raiders & refs conspired to steal one from Steve Grogan and Co.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Definitely the Rutgers loss. With all the Jazz emotion, the thrill of almost having the W and then Bagsby taking the wrong angle, it was like Tim Brown was running in slow motion. Add in that it was Rutgers.....

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I was at both the Army game and at yesterday's. Yesterday's was worse to me. An amazing comeback and the feeling of holy crap, I am going to witness the biggest comeback in Huskies History...on the road with 4k plus UConn fans. It was a momentary lapse in judgement on my part....as I then looked at the play clock ticking down and me yelling "get the damn play off"....."someone trip Diaco so he cannot call a timeout". Honestly...I yelled that according to my wife. I blacked out....must have.....don't remember it.
Anyway.......my tirade sent my wife up the ramp to bathroom...which was followed up by panic not responded to texts to me asking WTF I was 15 mins after the game was over. I was standing in the concourse with an Eli Manning look after he just threw a pick. Oh ...my cell phone battery was dead because I forgot to charge during the tailgate.

But yeah....yesterday sucked.....the end result anyway.

Cheers !

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The RU game immediately came to mind. That was a bigger WTF as the percentages were so heavily weighted in our favor. In this instance we still had to score, we did not have the lead.

Reaction Score
I remember that RU game and Brown's touchdown.the gal in front of me and I started crying. I'm not forgetting that and I have hated RU football even more than I hated Stringer's teams. I sHouldn't say hate, disliked very intensely.

I wanted to win that game for Jazz so badly.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I still struggle w/ the 2009 UNC "holding in endzone/safety" loss. Karma in the end was the win ended up being vacated by UNC but that one sucked.
Yeah I'd put that one over the Army loss in my opinion

Reaction Score
I'd also add the 2007 game against Virginia, when two center snaps over the QBs head push UConn back in the wrong direction at a point they were almost within easy FG range in a one point game. The offense looked silly in that game the way they blundered in the end in a game they should have won.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'd also add the 2007 game against Virginia, when two center snaps over the QBs head push UConn back in the wrong direction at a point they were almost within easy FG range in a one point game. The offense looked silly in that game the way they blundered in the end in a game they should have won.

I was at that game and I concur. It was a tough one to lose when we had played well enough to win it.

Reaction Score
Thats my three in order too

I have the same 3, but i have to put Navy at 1. At least the Rutty play was a good play on their part. This game was totally on us. I will never understand the rationale for they way the final 45 seconds were handled.

Reaction Score
UNC 2009 was the worst....
Saturday was almost as bad. I went shopping with my girlfriend immediately after and was sick to my stomach the whole time.

Now that I've had a couple days to digest: Yeah, we lost. That sucks.
But the team looked unstoppable for quite a while and overcame 21 points quickly.

The play calling in the series before our last was what frustrated me the most, not the fiasco in the last 17 seconds.

I went and looked back at the last 17 seconds of the game; NO ONE was in a rush to get another play off. Navy certainly wasn't. Neither were the refs. And (most frustratingly) neither were we....but I'm not sure that we could have gotten another play in even if we WERE ready for it, given the incredibly slow response by the defense and the officials.

We lost. But we looked good at times and made one hell of a comeback. Hopefully all the pieces will fall into place this weekend - there is still a ton of football left to be played!

Hey, we might actually have a REALLY good team this year!

See you Saturday!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member