'This is gonna be her year': UConn eager to have a fully healthy Caroline Ducharme | Page 2 | The Boneyard

'This is gonna be her year': UConn eager to have a fully healthy Caroline Ducharme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
You have quite a cynical view of people. While there are (very few) coaches/players who will stop at nothing to win, this is not a widespread thing. Some coaches advocate physical play, but to purposely injure a player (especially the brain) is beyond the pale and most know that.

Reaction Score
Blows to the head (even soft taps) are inevitable, especially for a "bigger" player like CD who can play inside, grab rebounds, etc. If I remember her last concussion correctly late in the season, it happened during a game fighting for a loose ball and she was helped off into the locker room. Whats scary was that it didnt look that bad on replay, but obviously, there was a cumulative effect. Not sure what the solution is here, unless her body can build a "tolerance" for taking hits. Wearing a helment doesnt seem to be an option per the rules. Wish here the best. Its a shame since she is so talented.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Re: rubymaie4
I coached long enough (basketball- male, female; football; baseball; golf) to see a wide spectrum of coaching behaviors, and I'm glad to say that while I've seen some nasty, self-serving coaches for whom sportsmanship got in the way of "winning," they were a distinctly minor fraction of the "profession." I do seem to see now more bruising behavior, but not deliberate intent to injure and batter opponents to their benches at the orders of the coach. Had I seen THAT, I would have been right up in the offending coach's face!

Reaction Score
Can't control the injuries nor do I know what to wear/can be worn as prevention.

However, what I do know is, is that if she is healthy and can play for a seaosn without interruption, she can be an All-Amercan caliber player throughout the season. And not just for a few games.

Reaction Score
Can't control the injuries nor do I know what to wear/can be worn as prevention.

However, what I do know is, is that if she is healthy and can play for a seaosn without interruption, she can be an All-Amercan caliber player throughout the season. And not just for a few games.
I also think so, but it will be hard if we think Nika, Paige, Azzi & Aaliyah are locked as starters
On my view, the 5th spot is between Audrey and Caroline
But then can come an extraordinary Freshman

Reaction Score
I’m assuming it’s against NCAA rules and regulations. I don’t ever recall seeing or hearing of a player wearing protective headgear in a regulation game. If someone knows otherwise, please respond.
I've seen pictures of soccer players wearing them. As long as they are padded so player and opponent are safe I don't see why not!

Reaction Score
You have quite a cynical view of people. While there are (very few) coaches/players who will stop at nothing to win, this is not a widespread thing. Some coaches advocate physical play, but to purposely injure a player (especially the brain) is beyond the pale and most know that.
You know it’s funny how Ducharme never gets clocked or clobbered under the basket in practice even when playing against male practice players. Oh maybe once I recall she got hit in the head by the ball in practice while recovering from a more serious injury she got in a game. Big time women’s college basketball is rough and tumble, they take no prisoners.

Reaction Score
I also think so, but it will be hard if we think Nika, Paige, Azzi & Aaliyah are locked as starters
Yes - It won't be easy. Nothing is.

But even if she were to come off the bench, she could potentiaily still average over 25 minutes per game and in big games; more. While she may not have much of a chance to be voted "All-American" if coming off the bench unless something very, very, very unusual; I specifically phrased my comment as ""All-Amercian "caliber."" :):)

She can be that for sure. She really needs to be healthy. That has to be an essential.

Reaction Score
Is she playing in Europe? As much as ppl think itd be great for Paige to shake off the rush, I'm sure if Caroline put up big numbers in Europe it would be a confidence boost

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You know it’s funny how Ducharme never gets clocked or clobbered under the basket in practice even when playing against male practice players. Oh maybe once I recall she got hit in the head by the ball in practice while recovering from a more serious injury she got in a game. Big time women’s college basketball is rough and tumble, they take no prisoners.
IMO your point is an extreme exaggeration - too much "NFL" mentality. Your posts are what we say in NFL Boards, and in a similar manner when watching our football teams on Satrurday?Sunday.

As far as practcies, probably when she is hurt they tell others to stay a bit away form her. Yet even in the NFL they do it with certain players/positions.

WCBB may take no prisoners but not deliberaltely to hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom