This is going to be a fun team to watch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This is going to be a fun team to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess when you win 3 NC's from the Yankee Conference days and have multiple 20 win seasons that didn't result in NC's you get hammered for your coaching ability? Spoiled is what I call this crowd.......

He made some mistakes/errors in recruiting or judging some players and he certainly wasn't error free in judging personalities and how they will react as they mature with the program butg he as consistent if not genuinely passionate throughout. Call it shabby coaching or whatever last year, i call it LACK of RESPECT of the UCONN on the jersey by the returning players who have since left the program. They made JC's last year hell, he didn't make it that way himself and he deserved a much better parting gift for what he did for the university and US...........I would hope people wouldn't show the same disrespect AO and RS showed!!!! Geez a spoiled group......this isn't delusion it's real it....he was not without flaws but they were so few compared to what he did....why????? :rolleyes:

Wasn't Nate Miles the only mistake? I mean, even Duke had its share of Curtis Kelly's over the years, but people tend to forget the players that transferred out of Duke.

Reaction Score
2007-2009 was a solid period of progression, led by JC-style stalwarts Price and Adrien. But in that period, and since, we also had a ton of transfers.

That, to me, is the most salient characteristic of our program over the past 6-7 years. The transfers. That indicates deficiencies in recruiting (poor appraisal of the skill or character of recruits) and in player development. It indicated JC's increasing difficulty to connect to all of his players. It disrupted our cycles of team development and directly led to the APR fiasco.

If anyone is going to criticize JC for his handling of the program over the last 6-7 years, that's where it starts.

You have to look at it in terms of recruiting ratcheting up (it did) and the increase in transfers at all the other top schools. Transferring is now the norm--more transfer than stay. EVERYWHERE.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Ouch. Calling freudslipConn.

Oops!

Freudian_Slip_by_LadyWithTheHorses.jpeg

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I thought your post was fine. Not sure I understand what you thought I would say.

I feel Gurleyman's attention to detail is the accurate situation of JC's tenure. I've copied his post. From Gurleyman:

"Thing is we had some frustrating years all along - the two years after the Dream Season we struggled to qualify for the NCAA's as our offense often regressed into "stand around and watch Smitty try to score". Burrell's senior year - with Donyell's class as sophomores - was a train wreck. The 1994 team (Ray off the bench) was more talented than the 2006 team (only one guy has had more than a cup of coffee in the NBA), and won a lot of games, yet had some of the same problems with playing poorly late in the year that 2006 did.

The year after the first NC without Rip we really underachieved and played without heart some nights. We went to Michigan State and trailed 46-15 at the half in one of the worst games I've ever seen a UConn team play. Same guys who played balls-out all through the '99 title looked like they didn't care. I'd certainly say '97 - and to a lesser extent '01 - get passes for youth, and '05 gets a pass for the health of AJ and Rashad.

But the point is that 1990-2005 wasn't a smooth ride of a singular brand of "UConn" basketball where every team had the same identity. We had ups and downs not all that different from what we had in the later years. 2006 compares to 1994. 2007-2009 was very similar to 1997-1999, starting with a way too young team and building up to a Final Four (knee injuries perhaps stopped 2008 and 2009 from going as far as their counterparts 10 years earlier), 2010 compares to 2001 (senior leadership was heavily-criticized, NIT bound), 2011 compares to 1990 (veteran guard and bunch of frosh go further than we ever imagined), 2012 was like 2000 (group left behind after NC frustrated everyone, but 2000 had KEA's ankle to soften the landing at the end of the year)."

Now dapriest's post i thought was a bit simplistic and inaccurate. :)

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
I thought your post was fine. Not sure I understand what you thought I would say.

I ment ERA not ERROR...... I guess the funny thing is it works both ways...... unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom