This Is Different- Phee On What's Up | The Boneyard

This Is Different- Phee On What's Up

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Her shot is off. Very unusual for a Husky to speak on this topic.

UConn’s Collier frustrated by her inconsistent shooting

“It is frustrating because when I’m practicing they’re all going in and when I’m in the gym and shooting, they’re going in,” she said. “And then I get to the game and they’re not. I just have to have faith that they’re going to start dropping, and just keep shooting.”

"Added coach Geno Auriemma: “I think this year, she just hasn’t gotten into any kind of a flow. So, she doesn’t really have that same feel that she had in the past. How do you fix that? You go in the gym and you shoot a bunch of shots, you watch yourself on film.

“Shooting’s a funny thing. When you’re confident, you think the basket’s as big as an ocean and when you’re not, you don’t ever think the ball’s going in. Everybody goes through it. It’s not unusual, but for us it’s tough because we don’t have a lot of scorers to begin with. We really need her. That’s a huge part of our offense, her perimeter shooting.”

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Isn't it fair to say that she's also being targeted by defenders as the team's first or second option with Gabby, Kia and Azura no longer on the court?
bottom line... and she excelled in silent assassin role but she's def not a go-to player who will create her own shot

Reaction Score
Funning she would say this since it appears several others are also in a bit of a funk. At times, Crystal seems tired and doesn't have the same follow through. After several years of watching KLS, her follow through, while normally a thing of beauty, has been off (Baylor and beginning of Houston game). She appears to be rushing shots and her footwork, which is normally perfect, often not aligned as it usually is. Suspect these will all get fixed soon. Would take these 3 over any other in country.

Reaction Score
Funning she would say this since it appears several others are also in a bit of a funk. At times, Crystal seems tired and doesn't have the same follow through. After several years of watching KLS, her follow through, while normally a thing of beauty, has been off (Baylor and beginning of Houston game). She appears to be rushing shots and her footwork, which is normally perfect, often not aligned as it usually is. Suspect these will all get fixed soon. Would take these 3 over any other in country.

both may be tired................if that's the case what happens in the big tournament? I find it hard to believe that they both just lost their strokes..................they certainly may be forcing more shots to make up for a lack of scoring from the rest of the team..........also, the two seniors are being guarded much more closely as they are the keys to any UConn win and until the other three starters shoot more consistently I'm sure that will be the defensive formula for opposing teams going forward.........

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
bottom line... and she excelled in silent assassin role but she's def not a go-to player who will create her own shot
What player on the team can create their own shot besides Williams. Walker eventually will and Dangerfield does sometimes. Both Nurse and Gabby had trouble creating their own shots. I believe the nature of the offense makes it difficult for most UConn players to create their own shots.

Reaction Score
What player on the team can create their own shot besides Williams. Walker eventually will and Dangerfield does sometimes. Both Nurse and Gabby had trouble creating their own shots. I believe the nature of the offense makes it difficult for most UConn players to create their own shots.
Agree with you on the first part. However, I don't believe the offense inhibits the creation of shots. I think the openings are there if you have the ability AND the confidence to break off and take something the defense is giving away. IMO, Williams just doesn't have the confidence yet.

Reaction Score
Agree with you on the first part. However, I don't believe the offense inhibits the creation of shots. I think the openings are there if you have the ability AND the confidence to break off and take something the defense is giving away. IMO, Williams just doesn't have the confidence yet.

she's still deferring too much to the seniors.........................if and when UConn gets a safe lead against Cincinnati I'd have the seniors feeding her the ball and pushing her to take the open shot

Reaction Score
Her shot is off. Very unusual for a Husky to speak on this topic.

UConn’s Collier frustrated by her inconsistent shooting

“It is frustrating because when I’m practicing they’re all going in and when I’m in the gym and shooting, they’re going in,” she said. “And then I get to the game and they’re not. I just have to have faith that they’re going to start dropping, and just keep shooting.”

"Added coach Geno Auriemma: “I think this year, she just hasn’t gotten into any kind of a flow. So, she doesn’t really have that same feel that she had in the past. How do you fix that? You go in the gym and you shoot a bunch of shots, you watch yourself on film.

“Shooting’s a funny thing. When you’re confident, you think the basket’s as big as an ocean and when you’re not, you don’t ever think the ball’s going in. Everybody goes through it. It’s not unusual, but for us it’s tough because we don’t have a lot of scorers to begin with. We really need her. That’s a huge part of our offense, her perimeter shooting.”
I don’t think she even approaches fundamental soundness. I see even more hitches in her shot than last year or previously. I think she should break her shot down and smooth it out fundamentally. She’s a senior, she needs to do it for her future, and UConn can go undefeated in this league with her shooting 2-20 every night.
Let’s face it, she hurts UConn in big games. Fundamental soundness shows in the clutch. Ever try to hit a crucial, clutch golf shot when you got a flaw in your swing?
Fix it now!!!! Practicing works if you’re practicing the right thing! What good is practicing something incorrect. You get more incorrect.

Reaction Score
I don’t think she even approaches fundamental soundness. I see even more hitches in her shot than last year or previously. I think she should break her shot down and smooth it out fundamentally. She’s a senior, she needs to do it for her future, and UConn can go undefeated in this league with her shooting 2-20 every night.
Let’s face it, she hurts UConn in big games. Fundamental soundness shows in the clutch. Ever try to hit a crucial, clutch golf shot when you got a flaw in your swing?
Fix it now!!!! Practicing works if you’re practicing the right thing! What good is practicing something incorrect. You get more incorrect.

I don't think it's fair to say that she hurts UConn in "big games".............she's had an awful lot of outstanding performances against great competition in 3 1/2 years...............I can't think of a team in the top twenty that wouldn't gladly want her as a starter.............that said she needs to improve the consistency of her outside shooting so that she becomes a complete threat for the rest of this year and in the WNBA...........

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In the win over Notre Dame, Christyn really stole the spotlight with her scoring explosion. But Pheesa was very impressive in that game, hitting several difficult fall-away jumpers. That kind of shot is hard to make consistently in every game.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
To say Collier hurts UConn in big games is totally wrong. Look at her stats in the semi-finals last season. She has had double double against some of the better teams in WCBB. Is she not a fundamentally sound rebounder? I agree her outside shot needs work.

Reaction Score
Let’s face it, she hurts UConn in big games. Fundamental soundness shows in the clutch.
Based on what?? She’s probably our most fundamentally solid player. That’s why you never really notice she’s scoring 18 & 10 everynight.

Was our best player against ND in the FF last year & was our 2nd best player against them this year. Was our best player against Baylor also (not that that’s saying much for the game). Might want to focus your worry elsewhere for those underperforming in big games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom