This is a dilly of a pickle | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This is a dilly of a pickle

Reaction Score
I agree Crocker just keeps getting worse. Edsall said the team needs more heart a couple weeks after the DC Crocker leaves the sideline for the booth. Shouldn’t he be on the sidelines rallying the troops if their problem involves a lack of heart?

No. Irrelevant. Edsall said, you either have it or you don’t. “Rallying the troops” doesn’t instill it.

Reaction Score
If the general consensus is that RE is a better recruited than BD, way not bench BD's recruits and play RE's recruits. It can't get any worse and if they really are better recruits, things might get better.

Reaction Score
A small improvement in the 3-3-5 would lead to a very large improvement in the game. The reason I say that is because we often get the opponent to third down and then allow them to get bailed out time and again.

Against Memphis, the tigers were 8 for 12 on third down conversions in the first half and 13 for 20 on third down conversions in the night. Many in long-distance situations. If you look at our other losses, you'll see similar results. I've made the comment before that Welcome To The Jungle is starting to have some real negative Pavlovian effects for me now.

Can we make the adjustments that stop the bubble screen going for 7 yards? Can we make the adjustments to stop the 15 yard pass over the linebackers in the middle of the field? If we can, we can win a lot of these games coming up. If not...get my whiskey bottle ready...

The adjustment is getting a DE (4-3) or OLB (3-4) into the passing lane for a bubble screen by setting up on the outside of the slot or TE position and rushing upfield then collapsing to the QB. Can't do it with 3 up front and 3 in the second line. It is compounded if the the OLB in a 3-3 can be easily engaged by a tackle or TE impeding the OLB from flowing inside out to the bubble screen receiver. This creates a wide run after catch lane where the DB in cover has to defend both an interior move after catch and out move, instead of being pushed to the sideline. It's a terrible scheme against a bubble screen, especially if the other receivers in a trips set are drawing the other cover defenders away from the area with counter flowing routes.

Finally, bringing up a DB to rush off the edge could work and is contemplated in a 3-3, but it's ineffective if they are blitzing and taking a straight path, which is usually how they are coming when brought. If the DB gets picked by the back or TE, they get easily chipped and neutralized. You need to bring some size with speed. The blitz packages out of the 3-3 are not working because it's the wrong personnel. I don't know why this is so hard to fathom. The empirical information is right in front of everybody. Stubbornness is the down fall the prideful and fear of change the down fall of the risk adverse.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If the general consensus is that RE is a better recruited than BD, way not bench BD's recruits and play RE's recruits. It can't get any worse and if they really are better recruits, things might get better.
How many of the recruits last year were brought in by RE and not held on to from BD and his staff? I don’t think there are that many that it would make a difference.

Reaction Score
How many of the recruits last year were brought in by RE and not held on to from BD and his staff? I don’t think there are that many that it would make a difference.

He has no clue... he's a baiter.

But for those wondering - Add Edsall staff JUCO/Transfer additions WR Buss, LB Sterling Santana and LB Eli Thomas to this list (but it was rumored/determined that Thomas will not see the field this year) - don't think I missed anyone other than the few new WOs after tryouts:

1. Jordan McAfee (PS QB) - Everett High School, Everett MA (UConn Commit 4/2/16)
  2. Abiola Bebe Olaniyan (CB) - Woodberry Forest School, Woodberry Forest VA (UConn Commit 6/14/16)
  3. Ryan Fitton (TE/DE/P) - Staples High School, Westport CT (UConn Commit 7/4/16)
  4. Ian Swenson (CB) - Loyola Academy, Wilmette Illinois. (UConn Commit 7/22/16)
  5. Brian Keating (C/LS) - Darien High School, Darien CT. (UConn Commit 7/2016 - PWO)
  6. Omar Fortt (DB/WR) - St Luke's School, New Canaan CT (UConn Commit 8/7/16)
  7. James Tunstall (OL) - Lackey High School, Indian Head Maryland (UConn Commit 12/11/16)
  8. Ryan Van Demark (OL) - The Hun School, Princeton New Jersey (UConn Commit 12/12/16)
  9. Jordan Swann (CB) - St Francis Academy, Baltimore Maryland (UConn Commit 12/19/16)
  10. Stanley Hubbard III (OL) - St. John's College High School, Washington DC. (UConn Commit 12/19/16)
  11. Garrison Burnett (CB/DT QB) - Maret School, Washington DC (UConn Commit 1/22/17) Edsall Staff Offer
  12. Darrian Beavers (Safety/WR) Colerain High School, Colerain Ohio (UConn Commit 1/22/17)
  13. Brayden Brown (RB/CB) - Fort Hill High School, Cumberland MD (UConn Commit 1/23/17) Edsall Staff Offer
  14. Caleb Thomas (DT) - Mansfield High School, Mansfield, TX (Neveda Commit>Decommit 1/13/17>UConn Commit 1/24/17)
  15. Rob King (Safety/QB/Athlete) - Father Judge High School, Philadelphia PA. (Temple Commit 7/1/16>Decommit>UConn Commit 1/25/17)
  16. Robert Holmes (OL) - Oxbridge Academy West Palm Beach Florida (FAU Commit>Decommit>UConn Commit 1/26/17) Edsall Staff Offer
  17. Cameron Hairston (WR/CB) - Lee's Summit North High School, Lee's Summit Missouri (UConn Commit 1/30/17) Edsall Staff Offer
  18. David Pindell (QB) - Lackawanna CC via Oakland Mills High School. Columbia MD (UConn Commit 1/31/17) Edsall Staff Offer
  19. TJ Gardner-Russaw (OLB/RB) - Windsor High School, Windsor CT. (BC Decommit>UConn Commit 1/31/17) Edsall Staff offer.
  20. Marvin Washington (QB) - Dr. Phillips High School Orlando Florida. UCF Commit>Decommit 1/17/17>UConn Commit 2/1/17) Edsall Staff Offer
Edit - forgot RB Mensah.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Sorry for taking the bait. What recruit would be considered RE’s first recruit? It looks like we actually got a lot after the turn of the calendar year. Just can’t recall when BD was officially fired and RE was hired. Also, some of those recruits may have already been in the pipe line from BD’s, no?

Reaction Score
Sorry for taking the bait. What recruit would be considered RE’s first recruit? It looks like we actually got a lot after the turn of the calendar year. Just can’t recall when BD was officially fired and RE was hired. Also, some of those recruits may have already been in the pipe line from BD’s, no?

The one's that were pure Edsall staff offers are indicated.

Reaction Score
At least 3 of the touchdowns could have easily been defensed if CBs just turned around...I don't know why they don't seem to teach this?

Not necessarily a UCONN problem - was at the B1G Championship game last year and nearly lost my mind. No way PSU comes back if Wisconsin's DBs turn around even some of the time.

Maybe an issue for all young DBs?

Reaction Score
I agree. You have to have missiles on the field. You can't run this defense passively. You have to get gap coverage quickly from off the line positions.
Two of our "missiles" were benched last week in favor of two WW1 tanks. The coaching staff better admit right quick..."um...bad idea"... let's go back to Bell and Coyle next week. We need two tough and hard hitting DB's, not a turtle and a ballerina.

Last edited:

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The adjustment is getting a DE (4-3) or OLB (3-4) into the passing lane for a bubble screen by setting up on the outside of the slot or TE position and rushing upfield then collapsing to the QB. Can't do it with 3 up front and 3 in the second line. It is compounded if the the OLB in a 3-3 can be easily engaged by a tackle or TE impeding the OLB from flowing inside out to the bubble screen receiver. This creates a wide run after catch lane where the DB in cover has to defend both an interior move after catch and out move, instead of being pushed to the sideline. It's a terrible scheme against a bubble screen, especially if the other receivers in a trips set are drawing the other cover defenders away from the area with counter flowing routes.

Finally, bringing up a DB to rush off the edge could work and is contemplated in a 3-3, but it's ineffective if they are blitzing and taking a straight path, which is usually how they are coming when brought. If the DB gets picked by the back or TE, they get easily chipped and neutralized. You need to bring some size with speed. The blitz packages out of the 3-3 are not working because it's the wrong personnel. I don't know why this is so hard to fathom. The empirical information is right in front of everybody. Stubbornness is the down fall the prideful and fear of change the down fall of the risk adverse.

DBs have to take a straight line to the QB if they are in a disguised coverage. Maybe you see where the RB is aligned with the QB and decide which side the DB blitzes from or bring a LB from the other side and make the RB choose who to block. My issue is that I don't see a lot of 5+ blitzes. Sending 4 out of the 335 is not blitzing, IMO. On run plays, you have 5 blockers you need to occupy. If you don't run blitz you'll usually have 1 or 2 OL get to the 2nd level. On pass plays you have to send 5 or 6 occasionally to get pressure outside and collapse the pocket inside. The idea of the 335 is create confusion because the offense doesn't know where the pressure is coming from. If you never really bring the pressure, the blocking schemes are relatively easy and the QB can pick you apart.

Reaction Score
At least 3 of the touchdowns could have easily been defensed if CBs just turned around...I don't know why they don't seem to teach this?

Not necessarily a UCONN problem - was at the B1G Championship game last year and nearly lost my mind. No way PSU comes back if Wisconsin's DBs turn around even some of the time.

Maybe an issue for all young DBs?

Carries over to NFL as well!!! &$#% Rodgers!

Reaction Score
DBs have to take a straight line to the QB if they are in a disguised coverage. Maybe you see where the RB is aligned with the QB and decide which side the DB blitzes from or bring a LB from the other side and make the RB choose who to block. My issue is that I don't see a lot of 5+ blitzes. Sending 4 out of the 335 is not blitzing, IMO. On run plays, you have 5 blockers you need to occupy. If you don't run blitz you'll usually have 1 or 2 OL get to the 2nd level. On pass plays you have to send 5 or 6 occasionally to get pressure outside and collapse the pocket inside. The idea of the 335 is create confusion because the offense doesn't know where the pressure is coming from. If you never really bring the pressure, the blocking schemes are relatively easy and the QB can pick you apart.
Yes, you are right on it. As I said, that's why the 4-3 is preferable against bubble screens. The DB in a 3-3 blitz scheme would take a straight path coming off the edge or anywhere else because thy are not playing outside contain like a DE. There is no read to be made. Just go. My issue with the 3-3 is the blitzes (inside or outside) are not impactful. With three lineman they can't even open a gap for a delayed blitz, so the inside attack path is not effective. Bringing a 4th from 5- 7 yards away and having it picked up by free lineman with 5 v 3 at snap is a joke. They expect the 4 th to come. There is no confusion because there are no overloads. There are simply not enough personnel in the box to create any density and pressure. It's a crappy scheme absent very good DBs with sufficient physicality and speed to be effective blitz and run stop guys that can also cover when not in a pseudo OLB mode. I'd rather battle speed issues on the LOS than in the open field with skill players going one on one with an unsure, inexperienced DB. They are going to lose that battle. We see this week in and out.

Any way, it doesn't matter because they will pound the square peg into the round hole and continue to blame personnel rather than fit the scheme to personnel. It's the easy answer.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes, you are right on it. As I said, that's why the 4-3 is preferable against bubble screens. The DB in a 3-3 blitz scheme would take a straight path coming off the edge or anywhere else because thy are not playing outside contain like a DE. There is no read to be made. Just go. My issue with the 3-3 is the blitzes (inside or outside) are not impactful. With three lineman they can't even open a gap for a delayed blitz, so the inside attack path is not effective. Bringing a 4th from 5- 7 yards away and having it picked up by free lineman with 5 v 3 at snap is a joke. They expect the 4 th to come. There is no confusion because there are no overloads. There are simply not enough personnel in the box to create any density and pressure. It's a crappy scheme absent very good DBs with sufficient physicality and speed to be effective blitz and run stop guys that can also cover when not in a pseudo OLB mode. I'd rather battle speed issues on the LOS than in the open field with skill players going one on one with an unsure, inexperienced DB. They are going to lose that battle. We see this week in and out.

Any way, it doesn't matter because they will pound the square peg into the round hole and continue to blame personnel rather than fit the scheme to personnel. It's the easy answer.

This is the key. My understanding of the system is that it is effectively just nickel D as a base defense. NFL teams play 5 DBs over 50% of the snaps. The key to this system at the college level will be fast LBs and big, fast safeties. We also need a NT and two big DE/DT. The CBs should have the same job they'd have in any system. But those safeties and LBs have to be versatile, with enough speed to cover receivers or to blitz, and enough bulk to shed blockers and stop running backs. Looking at our Roster which has massive numbers of WR, I wonder who can convert to this role? Jay Rose has the size to become a nice OLB. I am concerned for next year, because I don't know who will play LB.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom