This Game is Pure Gold | The Boneyard

This Game is Pure Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This should be a disappointing game for anyone who plays UConn this year. Generally, opponent team planning concentrates on controlling Stewart and Kaleena as the key to winning. This game proves others can step up when necessary. How much thought did ND give to Tuck and Stokes? Having to plan on controlling 4 players in the future is a depressing thought. Add Moriah, Kia and Gabby to that list and the task becomes unmanageable. So many weapons.

Reaction Score
This should be a disappointing game for anyone who plays UConn this year. Generally, opponent team planning concentrates on controlling Stewart and Kaleena as the key to winning. This game proves others can step up when necessary. How much thought did ND give to Tuck and Stokes? Having to plan on controlling 4 players in the future is a depressing thought. Add Moriah, Kia and Gabby to that list and the task becomes unmanageable. So many weapons.
Muffet said in the post game they had planned to defend Tuck, but it just didn't work out. Tuck isn't some nobody that comes off the bench. Everyone knows about Tuck because almost every team recruited her.

Reaction Score
Even though Gabby didn't play much, she did get in for a little while. UConn is going to need Kiah, Saniya and Gabby. An eight player rotation is preferable to six. You need to have more than one player you can rely on off the bench.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

+1

HGN

Reaction Score
I know what ND said but I don't believe they game planned at all for Morgan. They concentrated on stopping Stewie and KML. Which left everybody else free to roam. Morgan just happened to do her roaming in the paint....Twenty points worth. They doubled off MoJet most of the game. And left Morgan one on one.... And she made them pay.

Now future opponents may not make that same mistake so Mo and Kia are going to have to try to continue to step up and keep opponents from sagging.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Even though Gabby didn't play much, she did get in for a little while. UConn is going to need Kiah, Saniya and Gabby. An eight player rotation is preferable to six. You need to have more than one player you can rely on off the bench.
I like the fact that Gabby played in the first half. Geno knows he needs her with game confidence in the late season. Chong had quality minutes also!

Reaction Score
As aggressively as Kia Nurse plays, she's going to find herself at the free throw
line quite a bit this year. In fact, she leads the team in free throw attempts so
far this year. Unfortunately she is only .536 from the stripe thus far and was
1 for 6 against ND.

At some point this season, in the final minutes of a close game we may need
her to make those foul shots. I'm sure that she and the coaches are aware
that she needs to improve this part of her game.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Sounds like Kia needs to take 250+ free throws per day.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As aggressively as Kia Nurse plays, she's going to find herself at the free throw
line quite a bit this year. In fact, she leads the team in free throw attempts so
1 for 6 against ND.

Good to see that some one is concerned with #49 on the Top 50 list of things to worry about.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Which brings up the chronic question; does practicing free throws really help? I know that in the case of Tina Charles, her freebie shooting improved dramatically over her UConn career, but was this due to practice or to the correcting of the basic flaws in her technique? I remember watching her as a freshman, when she would bounce the ball off to the side and go through various contortions, all of which disappeared at some point in her career. My guess is that practicing freebies is of limited help at best. At this point in their careeres, both MoJet and Kia have shot thousands and thousands of freebies. What's to practice?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Oh I'm sure there was a passing, well will control Stewart and KML and we'll let Tuck and Stokes beat us if they can. I'm sure Muffet addressed it on the white board after the game.
500x_oops_card.jpg

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Sounds like Kia needs to take 250+ free throws per day.
Nurse has never been a great FT shooter, but clearly she will do better than 53.6% for the rest of the season once she focuses in at the line. Her FT% for the Canadian team has been 67% over four years (55 games, 139-203), so that may also end up being her level at UConn -- not great, not bad -- short of more work on the mechanics. Agree that simply shooting hundreds of FTs with poor form doesn't help much, but getting the muscle memory from a huge amount of attempts with good form should smooth the shot for games.

She went 6-7 in her last game for Canada and also hit 15-15 in a tournament last year, so she is capable of streaks at the line.

Jim

Reaction Score
My guess is that practicing freebies is of limited help at best. At this point in their careeres, both MoJet and Kia have shot thousands and thousands of freebies. What's to practice?
It is one thing to practice free throws and something yet again to make them with the game (or something important) on the line. Last year's men's team success was no fluke. Kevin Ollie had a drill where the team had to make 80% of the free throws or the whole team would run sprints. All 15 players on the squad would would shoot one free throw each, with the point guards going last ( to simulate the pressure of a "must make it" shot.). Come tournament time, the team was either in great shape or were great free throw shooters (or both).

Reaction Score
1 for 6 against ND.

I'd rather we solve that little problem by not having any close games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom