This accomplishment by UCONN women's basketball rivals the 11 national championships, IMHO | The Boneyard

This accomplishment by UCONN women's basketball rivals the 11 national championships, IMHO

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Interesting article, particularly regarding the difference in achievement between men's and women's teams.
Grad rates for women’s teams in NCAA tournament are exceptional
Outstanding achievements! Much like the article though I'm going to quibble with this UCONN stat: "They (UCONN WBB) posted a 100 percent team graduation rate for the fifth straight year."
For some reason I though the streak was much longer than that.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Six years ago there were 3 senior on the team.
Heather Buck
Caroline Doty
Kelly Faris

My guess is Kelly Faris because Doty stayed for a grad year and Buck graduated with honors from the nursing school.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Years ago, when Pat Summitt was still in her prime, my daughter's middle school team was invited to attend a game at UT , and tour the facility. The kids had gone undefeated that year, and were just thrilled to go see the legendary coach. Some parents went along as chaperones, and the team spokesperson mentioned more than once that Pat expected all of her players to graduate. The kids were uninterested in that bit, but the parents were impressed. And that tradition also exists at UConn. Play ball, have fun, and be prepared for the world to come.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Kelly earned her degree in 2013.

She isn't in the commencement book from 2012 (just checking...), 2013 or 2014 (which included summer and December 2013 graduates -- in case she wasn't quite done in May). Doty and Buck are both listed in for 2013.

Is there another source to use? Or should we look at another year? No shame in finishing late...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She isn't in the commencement book from 2012 (just checking...), 2013 or 2014 (which included summer and December 2013 graduates -- in case she wasn't quite done in May). Doty and Buck are both listed in for 2013.

Is there another source to use? Or should we look at another year? No shame in finishing late...

Please see page 57 of the 2013 commencement book. College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Bachelor of Arts. Kelly Elizabeth Faris.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Please see page 57 of the 2013 commencement book. College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Bachelor of Arts. Kelly Elizabeth Faris.

Odd -- it didn't come up when I searched the document. I stand corrected.

So if that means all three of them graduated that year, I wonder where that "fifth straight year" number originated...

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
So I looked back until I could find someone...

It seems like Cassie Kerns, who would have graduated in 2009, left campus for some very personal reasons not long after the NC. I have the article linked below, but I'm glad it seems like she got the help she needed.

Tiffany Kiara Hayes - There is someone listed in the program as Renara Kiara Hayes. I'm not sure if anyone has any insight on that one. I assume it's her, but stranger things have happened.

2011 - I was at this graduation. Maya carried a banner and everything. :D
Lorin Dixon - CLAS
Maya Moore - CLAS

Tina Charles - CLAS
Jacquie Fernandes - School of Education
Meghan Gardler - CLAS
Kalana Greene - CLAS
Kaili McLaren - CLAS

Cassie Kerns -- Demons Haunted a UConn National Champion
Renee Montgomery - CLAS
Tahirah Williams - CLAS

Reaction Score
So I looked back until I could find someone...

It seems like Cassie Kerns, who would have graduated in 2009, left campus for some very personal reasons not long after the NC. I have the article linked below, but I'm glad it seems like she got the help she needed.

Tiffany Kiara Hayes - There is someone listed in the program as Renara Kiara Hayes. I'm not sure if anyone has any insight on that one. I assume it's her, but stranger things have happened.

2011 - I was at this graduation. Maya carried a banner and everything. :D
Lorin Dixon - CLAS
Maya Moore - CLAS

Tina Charles - CLAS
Jacquie Fernandes - School of Education
Meghan Gardler - CLAS
Kalana Greene - CLAS
Kaili McLaren - CLAS

Cassie Kerns -- Demons Haunted a UConn National Champion
Renee Montgomery - CLAS
Tahirah Williams - CLAS
What does "CLAS" mean?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
What does "CLAS" mean?

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences -- so their degree could be anything from psychology and sociology to hardcore sciences (your branches of bio, chem, etc.). Unless you graduate with honors, the CLAS program doesn't list your major.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Years ago, when Pat Summitt was still in her prime, my daughter's middle school team was invited to attend a game at UT , and tour the facility. The kids had gone undefeated that year, and were just thrilled to go see the legendary coach. Some parents went along as chaperones, and the team spokesperson mentioned more than once that Pat expected all of her players to graduate. The kids were uninterested in that bit, but the parents were impressed. And that tradition also exists at UConn. Play ball, have fun, and be prepared for the world to come.
While there are 100's of reasons NOT to graduate the goal should always be to graduate. Some Uconn kids went off to the pros but unannounced came back or otherwise fulfilled the requirements to graduate. Uconn isn't a Basketball mill. Geno/Christine believe truly in Student Athletes and graduates.
Having said that: Congratulations to you and your daughter(s?) for having an undefeated year and meeting a legendary coach. Your last sentence is one I've heard Christine say a time or two probably echoed often by Geno.

Reaction Score
While there are 100's of reasons NOT to graduate the goal should always be to graduate. Some Uconn kids went off to the pros but unannounced came back or otherwise fulfilled the requirements to graduate. Uconn isn't a Basketball mill. Geno/Christine believe truly in Student Athletes and graduates.
Having said that: Congratulations to you and your daughter(s?) for having an undefeated year and meeting a legendary coach. Your last sentence is one I've heard Christine say a time or two probably echoed often by Geno.

Didn’t Geno tell DT she would not be welcome back to campus after she left for the pros until she came back and graduated. Which she did!

Reaction Score
Didn’t Geno tell DT she would not be welcome back to campus after she left for the pros until she came back and graduated. Which she did!
Yes I remembered parts of that, was going to post it ,but wasn't sure of the details. Thanks so much..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom