This 2020 PG has UConn DNA | The Boneyard

This 2020 PG has UConn DNA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With apologies to Cloris Leachman's infamous Frau Blücher, 9th grade Minnesota phenom Frau Bueckers might just be the perfect 2020 PG point guard recruit that cements yet another UConn National Championship....not sure of the source of the article's UConn reference in the but Geno & Co sure check off all the boxes in young Paige's stated basketball goals and objectives and her commitment in the classroom and on the court certainly oozes Husky DNA....as an aside, blücher is German for 'glue' which is why the horses in Young Frankenstein react with such agitation upon hearing her name....this could be fun!

Freshman basketball recruit Paige Bueckers way ahead of schedule at Minnesota's Hopkins

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
With apologies to Cloris Leachman's infamous Frau Blücher, 9th grade Minnesota phenom Frau Bueckers might just be the perfect 2020 PG point guard recruit that cements yet another UConn National Championship....not sure of the source of the article's UConn reference in the but Geno & Co sure check off all the boxes in young Paige's stated basketball goals and objectives and her commitment in the classroom and on the court certainly oozes Husky DNA....as an aside, blücher is German for 'glue' which is why the horses in Young Frankenstein react with such agitation upon hearing her name....this could be fun!

Freshman basketball recruit Paige Bueckers way ahead of schedule at Minnesota's Hopkins

Unfortunately, this is not true :(: Snopes link

Reaction Score
Just saw Bueckers play in the MN state HS tournament...scored 31 in each of the first two games as a freshman. Word on the street is that she may eventually be the best player to ever come out of the state (first on that list now is obviously Lindsay Whalen, followed by Tayler Hill) which is saying something.

She's really lean...coach calls her "Olive Oyl." She's long for a guard and can really shoot the 3, but also great body control and can play both point and off-guard. Wonder if there's any UConn interest.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I will say after watching her that, to me, she's more of a point-forward in the Tarausi mold. She can certainly play PG, but she's really more of a hybrid skills-wise.

Reaction Score
Ive been hearing a lot about an 8th grader by the name of Destiny Adams who's the next big thing from the NJ Shore Conference.........she been scoring in the 20's often playing two grades up against some really good AAU competition

From one report I read: Quote of the weekend " if Destiny Adams is only in 8th grade. Then a whole lot of kids are in a world of trouble" D1 Coach

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If Bueckers isn't UConn's top target in her class there should be an investigation.

Reaction Score
Bueckers reminds me of Bria Hartley in that video. Long, lean, and elastic but also very good body control. Seems Paige is taller than Bria at that age.

She was among the 35 announced for USA Basketball's U16 Trials: Thirty-Five Athletes Accept Invitations To USA Women’s U16 Trials

A couple other 2020 PG's on that list to keep an eye on:

Caitlin Clark of West Des Moines, Iowa (same town as Prospect Nation's c/o 2019 #1 Zoe Young). Love Clark's passing ability. She's an efficient scorer who makes very good decisions, like a Sue Bird type, but Clark will really surprise you and put on a bit of a show when she starts dropping some shiny dimes.

Te-Hina Paopao at Kelsey Plum's alma mater La Jolla Country Day School in California. She likes to be everywhere and do a bit of everything. Has plenty of shake handling the basketball and plenty of moves for losing her defender. Can also shoot and distribute. Pushes in transition. Plenty quick and scrappy, but has to be at 5'7" with more of a scrawny build.

Lastly, I'm surprised I haven't seen much about 2020 forward 6'4" Cameron Brink. She's out in Oregon, but already 1st Team All-State, the lone freshman along with four seniors, all of them ranked in the top 125 for the c/o 2017 by Prospects Nation (including, of course, Evina Westbrook). And she plays for one of the Oregon HS powerhouses, Southridge in Beaverton. Knowledgeable folks on the West Coast expect her to end up #1 nationally and one established coach thinks Brink has the better potential over the darling of 2019, Sam Brunelle.

Oh, and her mom is Steph Curry's godmother :p – Article link: Unbreakable bond

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I might be crazy, but that footage of Bueckers made me think of a taller Courtney Vandersloot, from her college days. Both fairly slender, just knife their way thru defenders and seem to do whatever they want to on the court. Saw at least one really slick dish for an assist in that clip too.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Bueckers reminds me of Bria Hartley in that video. Long, lean, and elastic but also very good body control. Seems Paige is taller than Bria at that age.

She was among the 35 announced for USA Basketball's U16 Trials: Thirty-Five Athletes Accept Invitations To USA Women’s U16 Trials

A couple other 2020 PG's on that list to keep an eye on:

Caitlin Clark of West Des Moines, Iowa (same town as Prospect Nation's c/o 2019 #1 Zoe Young). Love Clark's passing ability. She's an efficient scorer who makes very good decisions, like a Sue Bird type, but Clark will really surprise you and put on a bit of a show when she starts dropping some shiny dimes.

Te-Hina Paopao at Kelsey Plum's alma mater La Jolla Country Day School in California. She likes to be everywhere and do a bit of everything. Has plenty of shake handling the basketball and plenty of moves for losing her defender. Can also shoot and distribute. Pushes in transition. Plenty quick and scrappy, but has to be at 5'7" with more of a scrawny build.

Lastly, I'm surprised I haven't seen much about 2020 forward 6'4" Cameron Brink. She's out in Oregon, but already 1st Team All-State, the lone freshman along with four seniors, all of them ranked in the top 125 for the c/o 2017 by Prospects Nation (including, of course, Evina Westbrook). And she plays for one of the Oregon HS powerhouses, Southridge in Beaverton. Knowledgeable folks on the West Coast expect her to end up #1 nationally and one established coach thinks Brink has the better potential over the darling of 2019, Sam Brunelle.

She's been discussed in the 2019/2020 thread......

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Blue Star evaluation from last summer:

Paige Bueckers – 2020 – Guard – North Tartan

Bueckers is another already established young prospect who needs little introduction. The lengthy combo guard has a natural and instinctual aspect to her game that is far advanced for her limited age. With the ball in her hands you’re going to get an attack that is bound to create shots, passes…and fouls. Despite her slight build she’s handling contact and getting to the line time and again. Even better is that she’s finishing and a lot of those trips are for old fashioned three point plays. At the same time, off the drive she sees options for teammates and can thread some needles in delivering some effective interior passing. Throw in the fact that the three pointer is a strong element in her arsenal and you’ve got your basic match up nightmare. Obviously the strength will have to come as she matures and the weakside defense could use some attention but there’s plenty in place to keep any coach at any level happy.

9th Annual North Tartan Summer Jam - Bluestar Media

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A first-hand report on Bueckers from last year:

That said, Bueckers was Hopkins' offense in the closing minutes. She got to the rim at will (mostly against a different defender) while converting what felt like everything. I was sitting next to Tonka's squad during the game and even they were marveling at her advanced skills.

Paige Bueckers — Hopkins

Obviously, right? She's a 5-9 killer, but she may have waited just a little too long to start looking for her shot in this one. She might have had 40 if she'd attacked like she did the final five minutes. Her long arms allowed her to pick Hanson clean for an easy layup and she converted a pretty southpaw scoop on another drive. Everything is effortless.

STMA knocks off Hopkins for Breakdown title

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I think I missed this article before. My dad just sent me an email w/ a link to this. Good article, neat story. He said Cameron and her mom have been regularly seen at Oregon St. games, and last weekend she was spotted on campus w/ recent commit Aquino. One can hope...

Never mind what I said before about Tennessee. Hopefully Westbrook is the LAST recruit from Oregon that heads east to Knoxville.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A game from 2016 when Bueckers was an 8th grader. Kinda puts on a show over a 5-minute stretch late in the 2nd half ( two threes, a driving shot off glass, an excellent alley-oop pass over the defense for an assist, a block of a three point attempt and knocks the ball off an opponent to get possession).

Reaction Score
If she was interested and I'm sure she's not.........I'm fully convinced that Bueckers could skip a year and become a top three player in the 2019 class.........so much talent seems like a waste at the high school level........

Reaction Score
I could see her jumping to the U18 team next summer.

Watching the U16 games it was obvious that Cooke has faster feet and is quicker but Bueckers' layups go in at a much higher percentage, she sees the court better and her passing is at a collegiate level already.

But what really impresses me is her coolness on the court. No wasted energy. She almost looks lackadaisical on defense but then she's deflecting a pass or stripping the ball from a ball handler and tossing a long pass into the hands of a team mate or driving past a defender for a layup (that goes in).

It feel a little silly saying this about a rising high school sophomore and some may think it heretical to make this comparison but I see the same sort of magic in her game as I saw in Taurasi as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Just rediscovered this thread from Paiges freshman year in high school. I think her UConn DNA has definitely been proven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom