Third Place Game | The Boneyard

Third Place Game

Poe

Reaction Score
Thinking about Creighton’s quarter final rings … why doesn’t the NCAA add a third place game on Sunday night?

Since the NCAA is all about the students (I mean $$$), it seems like a no brainer with the teams and fans already there.

The World Cup has third place game … NCAA should follow.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thinking about Creighton’s quarter final rings … why doesn’t the NCAA add a third place game on Sunday night?

Since the NCAA is all about the $$$, it seems like a no brainer with the teams and fans already there.

They used to have one. It was discontinued due to lack of interest.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I can't imagine having to go out and play a meaningless game two days after losing a Final Four game. I wouldn't want to watch and I can't imagine players would want to play.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine having to go out and play a meaningless game two days after losing a Final Four game. I wouldn't want to watch and I can't imagine players would want to play.
Not meaningless. Great comp in the biggest stage.

Reaction Score

Since the NCAA is all about the students (I mean $$$), it seems like a no brainer with the teams and fans already there.

The NCAA used to have a third place game it was the schools themselves and the players who had no interest in playing after they lost .The final was a double header

Reaction Score
The NCAA used to have a third place game it was the schools themselves and the players who had no interest in playing after they lost .The final was a double header
Bill Bradley’s Princeton team the year after we beat them came in third .
The thinking was as an outsider they actually wanted to play were the other team just showed up .

Reaction Score
You can see what this concept looks like in action every New Year’s Day when the SEC or Big 10 team that just missed making the CFP is getting pummeled by Tulane in the Sugar Bowl.

Poe

Reaction Score
You can see what this concept looks like in action every New Year’s Day when the SEC or Big 10 team that just missed making the CFP is getting pummeled by Tulane in the Sugar Bowl.
Yet this bowl and 30 other meaningless bowls still exist … proving the point that a third place game would be of interest to the NCAA

Reaction Score

Just like college football players decide not to play in bowl games if they are not the top four I think many players graduating or leaving for the draft would opt out.

Reaction Score
The thinking was as an outsider they actually wanted to play were the other team just showed up .
And Bradley had 58 points, without the 3Pt shot.

Reaction Score

They did years ago

Reaction Score
Yet this bowl and 30 other meaningless bowls still exist … proving the point that a third place game would be of interest to the NCAA
Except it wouldn't, they had this game and nobody cared so they stopped playing it. They continue to expand the NCAA Tournament to make more money and yet this isn't in the top 100 ideas ever suggested

Reaction Score
Completely different revenue model that really isn't comparable. Bowl games are built around sponsorships and adding to a total television package that is sold for advertising revenue, adding more rounds at the beginning of the tournament would be a more apt comparison to how bowl season has expanded than a one-off consolation game.

If college hoops wanted to lean into something from the bowl model, it would mean our tourney run would have looked something like rolling through the Albany Region, presented by Dollar General to cruise into the Poulan Weed Eater Sweet 16 where we won the TaxSlayer.com Vegas Region to reach the Capital One Final Four, not making two teams who had their hearts broken on Saturday night have to turn around and lace them up Monday evening.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As I recall, after losing to Cazzie Russell's Michigan team in the semis (Bradley fouled out late - a repeat of the Princeton's holiday festival loss at MSG earlier that year) Princeton took Dave Stallworth's Wichita State's team to the shed in the consolation game. I think Bradley may have scored ~40 points or so. I was a student at Columbia that year and saw Bradley play live. The consolation game meant nothing except to those who followed one of the best college players of all time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Seeing the football kids pass on Bowl Games, idk if a 3rd plaxe game benefits anyone
I remember Bill Walton really not wanting to play in the 3rd place game after a heartbreaking OT loss in the semis. They browbeat him into playing half the game. Who needs that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom