think WM has a difficult decision... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

think WM has a difficult decision...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you are going to build a case against TJ do it with facts. Your statement is not factual.

and get off your high horse while you search for some facts.

Sorry was he an OC at Western Kentucky or something?

I like TJ. And today is not the day to be making this case. I trust WM more than most here. I'll lay low because apparently this hurts people's sensitivities.

Reaction Score
if throwing 50 times in a blowout win and throwing the ball every down in the 4th qtr up 4 scores, are good concepts to you so be it.

You'd make a lousy Baylor or Oregon or FSU fan. Are you a CT high school FB coach? Waaaaaaa....

It was a message he was sending to fans. UConn can score points. Momentum for players to feed off during the winter.

Smart coach.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Quick: give me total of their combined playoff wins in last nine years.

I'll do you one better: in the last nine years, the Cowboys have had only 1 losing season. 1 out of 9, in the age of the salary cap and with the eventual Superbowl champion in their division twice.

I'm not going to make this discussion thread a defense of the friggin' Cowboys organization, because quite frankly, anyone with a pulse would be willing to admit that they are a quality football organization. The point is that the Pasqualoni hire, although disastrous in effect, was not made to be small-time. It just happened to be wrong...

Reaction Score
I'll do you one better: in the last nine years, the Cowboys have had only 1 losing season. 1 out of 9, in the age of the salary cap and with the eventual Superbowl champion in their division twice.

I'm not going to make this discussion thread a defense of the friggin' Cowboys organization, because quite frankly, anyone with a pulse would be willing to admit that they are a quality football organization. The point is that the Pasqualoni hire, although disastrous in effect, was not made to be small-time. It just happened to be wrong...

Seriously, PP was a serviceable position coach/coordinator in the league whose time as a leader had long since passed. His pal GDL was only getting jobs because of the old-boy network thing. If JH/McHugh had bothered to ask P who he was bringing in as coordinators and put the kibosh on GDL MAYBE P would have done better here. But P signed everyone's death warrant when he dragged his buddy here.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Seriously, PP was a serviceable position coach/coordinator in the league whose time as a leader had long since passed. His pal GDL was only getting jobs because of the old-boy network thing. If JH/McHugh had bothered to ask P who he was bringing in as coordinators and put the kibosh on GDL MAYBE P would have done better here. But P signed everyone's death warrant when he dragged his buddy here.

The point is that JH and McHugh were not qualified to assess the assistants any more than they were qualified to assess the head coach. PP ran a clean program and got some good recruits in the door; for that, I thank him. For taking a successful run game....and a successful program....and bringing it to mediocrity, I regret his time at UConn (obviously).

I have been critical of Warde on certain subjects that I think were reasonable to be critical of, but I'll say this: He's a football guy. He's a big-time football guy. As such, I have faith that he'll be able to make a quality decision for the football program...

Addendum: One of the early football decisions from Warde? Bringing in TJ...just sayin'...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Except that somebody forgot to tell that to the Miami Dolphins and the Dallas Cowboys. Don't let the fact that top-level organizations thought differently than you change your opinion on the subject.

Just to refresh your memories, the most small-time thing that could have been done would have been to just keep Hank Hughes as the full time coach (he was interim), and save a million a year...

Well one of those teams fired him and the other should have and probably would have.

If you want to be the guy defending Paul Pasqualoni... that's fine but it was a terrible hire and plenty of people knew it.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well one of those teams fired him and the other should have and probably would have.

If you want to be the guy defending Paul Pasqualoni... that's fine but it was a terrible hire and plenty of people knew it.

Have you turned stupid over the last 24 hours? It's a serious question.

First, you spent an entire thread bitching about not choosing the wind during the right quarter, during a game that we won 45 - 10. Now, you believe that my comments on Pasqualoni were in defense of him as a coach? Holy Christ!

My comments on PP were that he wasn't a "small-time" hire. The expectation from the people involved in hiring him was that he was a highly competent, highly decorated coach with NFL experience. They paid him commensurate to that expectation. They went for the "trusted name", despite the high cost and age. That is not a friggin' defense of PP. I'm beyond surprised that you couldn't decipher that from my previous posts...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Have you turned stupid over the last 24 hours? It's a serious question.

First, you spent an entire thread bitching about not choosing the wind during the right quarter, during a game that we won 45 - 10. Now, you believe that my comments on Pasqualoni were in defense of him as a coach? Holy Christ!

My comments on PP were that he wasn't a "small-time" hire. The expectation from the people involved in hiring him was that he was a highly competent, highly decorated coach with NFL experience. They paid him commensurate to that expectation. They went for the "trusted name", despite the high cost and age. That is not a friggin' defense of PP. I'm beyond surprised that you couldn't decipher that from my previous posts...

I've been stupid a lot longer than 24 hours.

The outcome doesn't change the fact they got the wind wrong. You can make bad decisions and win, Les Miles gets paid millions to do so.

They might not have thought it was a small time hire - that doesn't change the fact it was.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
How about the other 5? We're here because we made a small time, easy, short sighted hire 3 years ago. Amazing people want to go down that road again.
How about it takes a little time to change schemes in mid season- who do you want as HC??

Reaction Score
How about it takes a little time to change schemes in mid season- who do you want as HC??

How about a coach that knows when to call TO's? How about a coach who puts the right QB in the game? That too much to ask?

I like TJ and think he did a more than commendable job. And I hate being put in this position to make the argument against him. But I think we can do better. I've seen too many of these emotional hires FUBAR'ED. If he's the guy I'll support him and he may in fact do very well. But we can do better.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
How about a coach that knows when to call TO's? How about a coach who puts the right QB in the game? That too much to ask?

I like TJ and think he did a more than commendable job. And I hate being put in this position to make the argument against him. But I think we can do better. I've seen too many of these emotional hires FUBAR'ED. If he's the guy I'll support him and he may in fact do very well. But we can do better.
I hear ya. I do.
In his defense - and no I am not related to him - and I want to know of all the coaches who want the job before picking one -
First time as a head coach. Don't remember exactly the TO you are referencing but PP had the WORST clock management skills - I would expect that to improve. And he was learning under the worst.

The QB thing is extremely puzzling to me. From all accounts practice, drills yadayadayada Casey was 3rd. Everyone agreed with that. The one thing Casey is obviously above everyone else is QB IQ. That's usually not enough when you are inaccurate at practice and then in a game it clicks. Give him credit for finally putting him in. PP would have never done that as whitmer was too short so Casey obviously was also. Does it carry over with a different coach? Does another coach come in and Boyle tears up practice and he starts him? Maybe offensive schemes change with coach change. there was a lot of talk about Casey transferring - him and TJ seem to have a connection going on rig now - maybe cay goes with TJ. There are so many things that can happen.

Can we do better - sure. Is lembo better? I don't know that
Is Narduzzi better - maybe
I need to see who wants this job then I might say we could of have done better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hear ya. I do.
In his defense - and no I am not related to him - and I want to know of all the coaches who want the job before picking one -
First time as a head coach. Don't remember exactly the TO you are referencing but PP had the WORST clock management skills.

I'm referencing the TO at the end of the USF game. The true frosh making his first start knew to call it. We don't need a learn on the job type coach because the players like him. They will all be gone in a few years. I frankly can't believe people are making this case.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I'm referencing the TO at the end of the USF game. The true frosh making his first start knew to call it. We don't need a learn on the job type coach because the players like him. They will all be gone in a few years. I frankly can't believe people are making this case.

I am NOT trying to make a case- I am trying to be objective.
Ok he screwed once - maybe he learned from his mistake.
When you say better and don't need a learn on the job type coach - does that exclude coordinators as next head coach?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We need a new broom to come in and sweep clean. A nice streak to end the season helps but doesn't remove the stink of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom