think WM has a difficult decision... | The Boneyard

think WM has a difficult decision...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think TJ is the sexiest choice. Nor is he the biggest name.
But there is no doubt the players have rallied around him, and he definitely has created something to look forward to next year.

I still like the names of Lembo, Narduzzi, or Clawson. More so because of the message it sends about where uconn could be going in the near future with regards to CR.
But I could accept TJ as the coach and expect him to have some success here as well.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
You may hate hearing the names of the opponents......but if WM makes this decision based on these 3 wins this program is finished.

How about how the team played in these 3 games?

Reaction Score
You may hate hearing the names of the opponents......but if WM makes this decision based on these 3 wins this program is finished.
says you....
people were also certain that Shaka or Stevens would be the better choice than Ollie.
Ollie's book isn't nearly complete, but after 1+ seasons, that hire is looking pretty good.

nobody knows... TJ could be the guy who comes from the outside, gets an opportunity at Uconn, finds success, builds a program, and then realizes there isn't a better place to be than Uconn. and then sticks around for 25 years.

nobody knows.

what I can say is TJ relates to his players, is passionate, and has turned this loss of season into a season that ends on a positive note.

Not to give Ruskin any kudos, but 'trust your eyes'... you can't look at these last 3 games and say this is the same team that played the previous 9 games. That's TJ.

Reaction Score
How about the other 5? We're here because we made a small time, easy, short sighted hire 3 years ago. Amazing people want to go down that road again.
I was pretty clear in my opening post. I like the names of Lembo, Narduzzi, and Clawson. All I said was I could accept TJ and think he could be successful.
what's really amazing is when people are so certain about things they have ZERO experience or knowledge of what makes hiring a college coach successful. yet they speak down to anyone with an open mind or is willing to let the process work.

so please... keep educating us with all your knowledge and experience.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We're here because we made a small time, easy, short sighted hire 3 years ago. Amazing people want to go down that road again.

I've heard this comment a lot recently, and it shocks me that people don't understand that the Pasqualoni hire was not the small time, easy choice three years ago. He was the "known commodity, bigger name, expensive" hire. The results of that were clear.

What Marty is advocating is NOT what we just did with Pasqualoni. It's quite the opposite: a younger coach with a "more modern" style of offense, with more charisma and energy, but without the name or pedigree.

I'm not saying TJ is the right choice. What I'm saying is that your reasons for it being the wrong choice aren't applicable...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
TJ has shown himself to be a quality guy and under different circumstances the on-field performance might be worth something in this process. It isn't nor should it be.

Why is that so difficult to understand. If he's picked it won't be because he beat freakin' Memphis.

Reaction Score
I've heard this comment a lot recently, and it shocks me that people don't understand that the Pasqualoni hire was not the small time, easy choice three years ago. He was the "known commodity, bigger name, expensive" hire. The results of that were clear.

What Marty is advocating is NOT what we just did with Pasqualoni. It's quite the opposite: a younger coach with a "more modern" style of offense, with more charisma and energy, but without the name or pedigree.

I'm not saying TJ is the right choice. What I'm saying is that your reasons for it being the wrong choice aren't applicable...
What name or pedigree did Jim or Geno have?

Reaction Score
I don't think TJ is the s e xiest choice. Nor is he the biggest name.
But there is no doubt the players have rallied around him, and he definitely has created something to look forward to next year.

I still like the names of Lembo, Narduzzi, or Clawson. More so because of the message it sends about where uconn could be going in the near future with regards to CR.
But I could accept TJ as the coach and expect him to have some success here as well.
I agree. There is a very real risk in every new coach. TJ has proven he can get a bunch of PP/GDL coached guys to remember how to play football. There may be better choices, but he deserves a realistic look.

Reaction Score
If UConn is going to go with an offensive minded coach, might as well keep Weist as HC. No point in installing another offense. If they go with the Defensive guy, try to keep Weist as OC.

Reaction Score
One thing you can't argue against. We've been more exciting to watch and cheer for as TJ's had more time to work with this team.

I'm not saying he is the only answer, but I wont freak if he's given the nod.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
What name or pedigree did Jim or Geno have?

I think your comment is agreeing with my assessment, but I'm not sure. If it is, then....yeah. If not....well, let's stick with agreement...

Reaction Score
UCONN has lagain learned how to win, with kids that were thought be be without talent. Do we want a new coach who may put in his new system that goes 1- 10 next year? Perhaps, but TJ can prove he can win against mediocre competition. He is at least a legitimate option.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
UCONN has lagain learned how to win, with kids that were thought be be without talent. Do we want a new coach who may put in his new system that goes 1- 10 next year? Perhaps, but TJ can prove he can win against mediocre competition. He is at least a legitimate option.

Emotion is a big part of football. TJ completely turned the emotions of these players around.

He may not be the perfect coach or even the best option, but if he is hired, I can get behind him.

Reaction Score
Emotion is a big part of football. TJ completely turned the emotions of these players around.

He may not be the perfect coach or even the best option, but if he is hired, I can get behind him.
Oddly enough, they think they can win. I doubt that changes whoever they play against. They are pounding a lesser team, but 6 weeks ago they would have lost to Memphis and probably have lost bad.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't think there's any way UConn can keep TJ as an OC.

If he isn't named coach here, there's going to be OC opportunities and HC opportunities elsewhere. If he wants to be an HC, his clock is quickly shrinking.

Reaction Score
What's amazing is it only took those 5 games to wash off the stench of the PPGDL stink fest. I'm not smart enough to know if TJ is the right choice, but I do believe he has success written all over him.

I can live with TJ as the coach but my gut says we get a complete house cleaning.

I would rather have TJ over Ambrose or Moorehead though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What's amazing is it only took those 5 games to wash off the stench of the PPGDL stink fest. I'm not smart enough to know if TJ is the right choice, but I do believe he has success written all over him.

I can live with TJ as the coach but my gut says we get a complete house cleaning.

I would rather have TJ over Ambrose or Moorehead though.

Yep. In six weeks (five games) he re-aligned coaching duties, broke in a new QB and realized it was a mistake, broke in a second QB, improved the offensive line, improved morale, improved his in-game coaching and developed a BCS level offense.

Reaction Score
Yep. In six weeks (five games) he re-aligned coaching duties, broke in a new QB and realized it was a mistake, broke in a second QB, improved the offensive line, improved morale, improved his in-game coaching and developed a BCS level offense.

He appears to be quite the motivator. Something tells me he gave quite a speech at half time of the Temple game.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
What I saw today was a team playing it's heart out for their coach. Unless we hit a home run with the HC selection, TJ should get the gig.

The kids obviously respond to him, he's well spoken and thoughtful with the press and seems to be a really good OC. Get him a better DC (not a HH fan), keep Foley and get ready for a great run!

BTW, no way will we be playing before an empty stadium if we keep on playing like we did today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom