Think we go zone against ND? | The Boneyard

Think we go zone against ND?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Do we try the aggressive zone or is ND too good of a 3-point shooting team to do that?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Pretty sure we will start out in M2M, with occasional zone if Geno decides to go Twin Towers with Kiah+Stef. I don't recall how much zone we ran against them in the BE final, but zone scares me with ND because not only do they have plenty of outside threats, the threats also have very good handles and know how to find gaps off the dribble. Not to mention we have a tougher time boxing out in the zone.

Geno is finding our zone an increasingly attractive option of late, but I think for the most part we will just have to play M2M and play it like only we can. Mostly we will need the resilience on both ends that we showed in the BE final. It will be a war out there.......

Reaction Score
Pretty sure we will start out in M2M, with occasional zone if Geno decides to go Twin Towers with Kiah+Stef. I don't recall how much zone we ran against them in the BE final, but zone scares me with ND because not only do they have plenty of outside threats, the threats also have very good handles and know how to find gaps off the dribble. Not to mention we have a tougher time boxing out in the zone.

Geno is finding our zone an increasingly attractive option of late, but I think for the most part we will just have to play M2M and play it like only we can. Mostly we will need the resilience on both ends that we showed in the BE final. It will be a war out there.......
Geno has said several times, we are not a good zone team. I totally agree but when he does use it, it's just to break up the tempo or rest
his defense with a big lead.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Geno has said several times, we are not a good zone team. I totally agree but when he does use it, it's just to break up the tempo or rest
his defense with a big lead.

I thought our zone was pretty damn good last night...

Reaction Score
It was our man D that turned the game around last time we played ND.

ND will make adjustments this time though. A real chess match.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought our zone was pretty damn good last night...
According to Geno we played zone the entire second half. Since that was our better half of the game I think that our zone was pretty darn good.

Reaction Score
According to Geno we played zone the entire second half. Since that was our better half of the game I think that our zone was pretty darn good.

He also said he didn't play it because it was a more effective defense. It was energy conservation much like UConn playing zone against Villanova. I think Geno was far more worried about his team failing to score than he was Kentucky scoring on a less than ideald efense.

Reaction Score
UCONN needs to use its speed and athletic talent to off set ND in the paint and at the 3 PT line...Press, Press and Press for 40 minutes////////

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
He also said he didn't play it because it was a more effective defense. It was energy conservation much like UConn playing zone against Villanova. I think Geno was far more worried about his team failing to score than he was Kentucky scoring on a less than ideald efense.
Yes, but it was effective. Until 3 minutes to go in the half KY had only scored 17 points in the half.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
ND is going to have to worry about Kelly scoring. This is a huge difference from the past 3 times we played ND. ND had been playing 5 on 4. Not this time. Stef one on one with Peters? Advantage UConn. Tiff one on one with anybody Advantage UConn. KML one on one is a load to handle especially posting up. I really like UConns chances this time. Two things must happen. UConn needs to rebound and UConn needs to stay out of foul trouble and we will be fine.

Reaction Score
Yes, but it was effective. Until 3 minutes to go in the half KY had only scored 17 points in the half.
Not scoring is nothing new for Kentucky. Good basketball strategy, but I don't think UConn played the zone very well at all. It just didn't matter that UConn didn't execute the zone all that well.

Reaction Score
It worked because Zone tends to slow the game down a bit, and Kentucky is a small - and terrible shooting team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom