Things we can do to assist in promoting UConn and help land us in a stable conference. | The Boneyard

Things we can do to assist in promoting UConn and help land us in a stable conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On the way into work I was thinking what fans can do to assist in UConn's PR campaign, or lack there of. (other than what has already been discussed, like going to games etc) I came up with a few things, some may be silly, but I thought I'd throw them out there so we could use some of our energy in a positive way rather than venting about the new Evil Empire, A.K.A. ESPN.

I think I was also day dreaming about winning the lottery and what I'd do with the money and time I'd have not having to work. So excuse me if some of these thoughts are unrealistic, b/c in my fantasy induced day dream I had money to burn! :)

So, my first thought, why or how does Rutgers always get the Empire State building to red light itself??? What if we were able to somehow do something similar in NYC? Between UConn Alum on Facebook and Linkedin would it be possible to get enough alum with enough pull, to get some major building in NYC to spell out a nice blue block C? I think that would be a cool statement.

Some of my other thoughts are a bit more silly/extreme, so try not to flame me too badly.

Find out Jim Delany's schedule and arrange to have a UConn flash mob form everywhere and every time he speaks chanting some of our favorite UConn slogans.

The flash mob idea would work in a lot of situations, such as getting a large crowd of UConn fans in the background of any live sporting news event. Like some live BCS show where fans are in the background. Or any sporting event, maybe something that would not even make sense so that the fact that there are a bunch of screaming UConn fans in the background would be noticed.

How about organizing visits to all of the B1G schools and staging some sort of UConn rally? Again, would be contingent on how many willing alum we have in those areas, or the fact that I won a 300,000,000 powerball and could pay to get us out there!

Some sort of UConn themed tribute being left at the center of each of the B1G's university's center all on the same day?

Anyway, you see where I was going this morning, hope you all are hanging in there!

Jai

Reaction Score
Also, we need our male fans to be MEN and stop crying. How the do they make it through life?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Flash mobs and lit up C's are superficial. We have 1 responsibility, increase the value of the AD. We do that through $ and ticket sales.

If we want to make a difference we organize a grow the football fan-base campaign.

1) If you are not a football season ticket holder right now and you care deeply about any sports program change that starting next year. Basketball is now wired to football and if you are basketball die hard and a casual football fan, you are now a football die hard or you will lose your passion on the hardwood.

2) If you can afford it, buy an extra ticket, and make it your responsibility to bring someone in your social network who has never been to a Uconn football game every game next year.

3) For at least one game a year host a party at the game. Invite everyone you know, host the tailgate, organize who brings the food, offer to be the banker and purchase the group block of tickets and collect from everyone at the game. Make it an annual tradition. Start with 1 game a year and work up from there.

Our mission from this point forward, is to pull in fans. Let's go get it done.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Copy what WSU does with College Gameday.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Flash mobs and lit up C's are superficial.
I agree and disagree with this. Remember, perceptions is reality most times. We constantly scream about our achievements, but our perception does not match up with that. It has an affect.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree and disagree with this. Remember, perceptions is reality most times. We constantly scream about our achievements, but our perception does not match up with that. It has an affect.
My dreams are slightly different then yours. I'm thinking less of flash mobs and more of topless cheerleaders at football games. The colder the better. Heck with the B!G. That will get UConn an invite with the SEC!

Reaction Score
Flash mobs and lit up C's are superficial. We have 1 responsibility, increase the value of the AD. We do that through $ and ticket sales.

If we want to make a difference we organize a grow the football fan-base campaign.

1) If you are not a football season ticket holder right now and you care deeply about any sports program change that starting next year. Basketball is now wired to football and if you are basketball die hard and a casual football fan, you are now a football die hard or you will lose your passion on the hardwood.

2) If you can afford it, buy an extra ticket, and make it your responsibility to bring someone in your social network who has never been to a Uconn football game every game next year.

3) For at least one game a year host a party at the game. Invite everyone you know, host the tailgate, organize who brings the food, offer to be the banker and purchase the group block of tickets and collect from everyone at the game. Make it an annual tradition. Start with 1 game a year and work up from there.

Wait -- you mean money talks and bullshit walks? Damn, who knew?

(spot on post)

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
We each need to impersonate a member of the Horde. Then we can actually get the truth about UConn out in the media. If the Horde had any sack they'd be out there making a name for UConn and themselves by extolling the virtues of the institution that indirectly gives them a paycheck.

Reaction Score

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but all I'd like is to be able to get into the stadium quickly, stay for the game, and leave quickly. I'd love a shuttle service from West Farms or someplace similar. Any talk of that for the older people that just don't want to handle all day parties anymore?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I recently had the oppotunity to have a conversation with a print reporter and broadcast reporter on media relations. One of the take aways was that it was important to get out in front and establish the narrative. Once the narrative is established it is very difficult to change.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but all I'd like is to be able to get into the stadium quickly, stay for the game, and leave quickly. I'd love a shuttle service from West Farms or someplace similar. Any talk of that for the older people that just don't want to handle all day parties anymore?

It's not about the party it's about attracting the fringe and giving them a compelling reason to support the team. If shuttle buses and no nonsense is your thing 68 I'm all for it as long as you promise me you are bringing new shuttle loving blood into the program. 10 toes in.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you can establish enough demand, I am sure that you can get this done. Make sure that they arrive 20 minutes prior to the start of the game and leave 25 minutes after the final gun.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I take it by your name you graduated UConn in 68. And you're going to the games. I salute you sir. And its good to know there are those in this forum that have a few years on me. Send an email to the athletic department. They might be interested in doing something about this. You might have to be patient because they might have a few things that need to be addressed at the moment. But it certainly is a good idea.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Wait -- you mean money talks and bull**** walks? Damn, who knew?

(spot on post)

You mean showing that we have a loyal fan base that backs up that loyalty with money and real support is better than holding our breath and stomping our feet?

Who knew?

Reaction Score
If you can establish enough demand, I am sure that you can get this done. Make sure that they arrive 20 minutes prior to the start of the game and leave 25 minutes after the final gun.
I'd be happy to be an hour early, and I never leave before the end. I just don't feel like making it into a 3-ring circus. The Rent isn't easy to get close to for most people. Yankee Stadium and Fenway have subway/T stops nearby. That's what I'd like. I also was disgusted by the TV timeouts the last game I saw live. They completely ruin any momentum for either squad.

Reaction Score
I take it by your name you graduated UConn in 68. And you're going to the games. I salute you sir. And its good to know there are those in this forum that have a few years on me. Send an email to the athletic department. They might be interested in doing something about this. You might have to be patient because they might have a few things that need to be addressed at the moment. But it certainly is a good idea.
I was there in 1968, but didn't graduate then. Long story, changing boards, needed new names, etc. I couldn't think of anything better at the time.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I couldn't think of anything better at the time.

You couldn't think of anything better??? You have the word "UConn" in your name. There ISN'T anything better... :cool:

Reaction Score
People still reference the horde as if it still exists. It doesn't. One paper covered Germany and the Caribbean. One. That is not a horde, that is a straggler. There is no longer a large media presence surrounding the team, that is a memory from a time gone by...

Reaction Score
The flash mob idea would work in a lot of situations, such as getting a large crowd of UConn fans in the background of any live sporting news event. Like some live BCS show where fans are in the background. Or any sporting event, maybe something that would not even make sense so that the fact that there are a bunch of screaming UConn fans in the background would be noticed.

I'd love to see us absolutely swarm the Garden this year for the BET. If we flood that place when we're not even playing, it'll send a message to the B1G that NYC is our turf. I don't know if I've ever seen a Rutgers fan at the Garden, I don't think they even know where it is. I work with about 10-15 Rutgers alumni (I'm in NJ) and whenever I invite them to the BET with me I get blank stares like I invited them to outer space.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think empty seats would say a lot more. But, I think Cuse will pick up our slack this year. They have a good team and this is their last BET.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
You'll get reamed by pragmatists but I love it, the dreaming that is. Most of us need drugs to get through this.

I wouldn't say I need them, but they sure seem to make things easier.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see us absolutely swarm the Garden this year for the BET. If we flood that place when we're not even playing, it'll send a message to the B1G that NYC is our turf. I don't know if I've ever seen a Rutgers fan at the Garden, I don't think they even know where it is. I work with about 10-15 Rutgers alumni (I'm in NJ) and whenever I invite them to the BET with me I get blank stares like I invited them to outer space.
There's definitely more UConn, Cuse, GTown, Nova and Pitt fans than Rutgers ('NYC's Team') and SJU fans (who's home floor is being used for the tourney).

Reaction Score
I recently had the oppotunity to have a conversation with a print reporter and broadcast reporter on media relations. One of the take aways was that it was important to get out in front and establish the narrative. Once the narrative is established it is very difficult to change.

^^^^^This 100000 times

I see the value in preaching to the choir to rev up the fan base and I would think this is an easier sell among us nutjobs. I am that basketball season holder who will make it a point to go to at least one football game starting next year.

But the perception of UCONN with other schools is WAAAAAAYYYYYY off base from reality.
Here are examples.

1. "UCONN sued the ACC when BC et al moved back then."

Yes UCONN was the face in the lawsuit but equal heavy lifting was done by.....drum roll....PITT!

2. "UCONN and Calhoun are a bunch of cheaters."

Extra phone calls and text messaging and improper benefits from a former team manager to a player who did not play one game in a Husky uniform. That's what we got nailed for. It happened and the school and Calhoun served it's suspension. Calhoun is no longer there, Ollie is running the ship. Move on.

BTW, Nochimson took it upon himself to provide benefits to Miles in the hope of signing him down the line. We got penalized for that. The latest UNC finding proclaimed that the cause for the academic scandal was limited to "a rogue professor and a department" and all is well in Chapel Hill?!?

3. "They recruit thugs and their current players are too dumb to get a decent APR score."

We all know the truth here but other schools actually think this.

4. UCONN doesn't cut it in academics
How about pointing out a consistent ascent in College rankings.
How about pointing out that we won't be anywhere close to the bottom of any conference (except Ivy).
How about UCONNs committment to being a premier research university interms of new professors and infrastructure to house these new projects.
How about already being members of a Global research group whose only other US representative is UVA.

5. UCONN does not add anything to our conference.
We have a decent size market in CT and we do have a presence in the Boston and NYC.
Yes football drives the bus but football gets you entertained between late Sept to early January (at the latest if lucky).
What do you think gets the focus between Jan to March (especially March!)? I know in 1999, 2004, and 2011, we got some schools yelling "Big East! Big East!" with pride.

Just a lot of other stuff out there that we should keep correcting. And we should do it though in a very non confrontational way to bolster the overall reputation of UCONN and its fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom