Things to do and see in Annapolis | The Boneyard

Things to do and see in Annapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is intended for those that are first time visitors to Annapolis and especially if you are staying in town and are going to spend some time sightseeing and eating and drinking in the town.

Tour the Naval Academy enter through gate 1 or 3 as a pedestrian ( you cannot drive in unless you have DOD I.D. ) and you must show identification such as a drivers license. Start by going to the visitors center which is an immediate right when you enter gate 1 and you can watch a short film (free) about life as a midshipmen that takes about ten minutes or so. You can schedule a guided tour about $10.00 bucks for adults a little less for kids, preschoolers are free. Takes less than 2 hours and there is a lot of walking involved. If you don't want to pay for the guided tour you can go on your own and enter certain buildings such as Leguene Hall which houses the swimming pool, army/navy footballs, and two Heisman trophies.
Head down Officers row where various officers are housed that are stationed at the academy, nice tree lined sidewalk. Head to Bancroft Hall enter the main steps and into the building where you can see a model midshipmen room and head up the stairs to Memorial Hall where the list of those that went to the academy and gave their lives while serving list the names by the year they graduated, this is where you will also find the "Don't Give up the Ship" flag. Walk past the Tecumseh monument when you come out of Bancroft as it is painted for every game day , sometimes very creatively other times, not as much. Head to the Chapel if there are no weddings taking place check it out as well as the John Paul Jones Crypt underneath the Chapel on the right hand side as you enter. There is a free museum for those with time on their hands. For anyone that gets in Annapolis before noon there is a noon formation of the brigade in front of Bancroft hall that can be entertaining for those who have not seen one and there is a dress parade at Worden field at 4 pm which is pretty inspiring.

Part II- will be food and drinks

Reaction Score
Cantlers if you want crabs on a picnic table on a scenic creek but not my favorite. Iron Rooster is a great place I like the Shrimp and Risotto , but they are known for their pop tarts, breakfast, chicken and waffles. Boatyard in Eastport for families and you eat with the boating people I like their crab soup. For sushi I like Joss, Galway Bay for Irish Food and they have great crab cakes. Rams head for a beer and a sandwich or salad, but great place for a beer ask to sit in the courtyard. Pussers for a drink and something lite (not a fan of their dinners) on the water to watch the yachts. Federal House, McGarveys are both decent food right down by the waterfront. Kilwins for ice cream and sweets. That's my list I have eaten at other places but those were the go to places when we visited.

Reaction Score
Finally, wear sunglasses to the game as the visiting side of the stadium will be staring into the sun during the first half.

The Brigade of midshipmen will march in at 3:11 once they are all in formation they will turn in unison and welcome the Connecticut crowd with a "go huskies" and a tip of the their covers (caps). They will then turn to the home crowd and Chant go Navy which will be much louder.

The flyover will take place at 3:20 it will come from over the side of the stadium where the yellow and blue tents are located.

At 3:24 the game ball will brought in by parachute and delivered on the field.

Reaction Score
Thanks Roadtrip for that game day timeline. It's very helpful. As for your food suggestions, the only one I'm sure of is Kilwins for ice cream. Probably the best in the country.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Good stuff. Thank you all. Will be heading to Heavy Seas on Friday night assuming we get in with enough time to spare.

Reaction Score
Thanks Roadtrip, looking forward to this weekend! Do you need to schedule a tour of the academy ahead of time, or can you just show up at the visitor center and buy tickets?

Reaction Score
Thanks Roadtrip for that game day timeline. It's very helpful. As for your food suggestions, the only one I'm sure of is Kilwins for ice cream. Probably the best in the country.
Going to have to disagree, Had Kilwin's once and was probably the worst ice cream I've ever had, but maybe it was just that location.

Reaction Score
"If I were there I'd watch the football game." That's why I said bring sunglasses.

On scheduling a tour? You can go to the visitors center and go up and they will put you in the next tour, so you do not have to do so in advance.

Reaction Score
Finally, wear sunglasses to the game as the visiting side of the stadium will be staring into the sun during the first half.

The Brigade of midshipmen will march in at 3:11 once they are all in formation they will turn in unison and welcome the Connecticut crowd with a "go huskies" and a tip of the their covers (caps). They will then turn to the home crowd and Chant go Navy which will be much louder.

The flyover will take place at 3:20 it will come from over the side of the stadium where the yellow and blue tents are located.

At 3:24 the game ball will brought in by parachute and delivered on the field.

If Navy is like Army you want to enter the stadium very early. Security is not like your average sporting event. You have to pass through a metal detector. Not as detailed as the airport but close. If you want to see the Brigade at 3:11 you probably want to be starting into the stadium well before 3:00pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom