Things this team has that we haven’t seen for a while | The Boneyard

Things this team has that we haven’t seen for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Gonna just list them out:

1. Shooters. People that can make a shot from anywhere on the court. Azzi and Lou are the obvious ones but Aaliyah and Dorka have shown they’re pretty good spot up shooters too. its A lot harder to guard a team when they do more than just shoot from the perimeter or drive to the hoop. That’s why the team was so successful with Paige - she’s a great shooter that can make the offense more varied and difficult to defend.
  2. A killer instinct. Previous teams would relax when they were up and so we got adventurous Q3 and Q4 with opponents coming back and making the game closer than it should have been. I think if this year’s team begins to relax, they get the Nika stink eye but, really, this nice bunch of kids with the silly Tik Tok videos and the goofy jokes are the meanest bunch of assassins on the court. It’s good to see some attitude from our Huskies.
  3. Consistency. We no longer have to worry about effort or wonder what UConn team will show up on any given night. Sure, a player may not score as much as usual due to stifling defense or illness but she’s still going to give 100% effort. I love watching this team. Even the losses…I’ve never been prouder of a UConn team than after the Maryland loss.
Just my opinion so take it for what it’s worth

Reaction Score

1. Shooters. People that can make a shot from anywhere on the court. Azzi and Lou are the obvious ones but Aaliyah and Dorka have shown they’re pretty good spot up shooters too. its A lot harder to guard a team when they do more than just shoot from the perimeter or drive to the hoop. That’s why the team was so successful with Paige - she’s a great shooter that can make the offense more varied and difficult to defend.
  2. A killer instinct. Previous teams would relax when they were up and so we got adventurous Q3 and Q4 with opponents coming back and making the game closer than it should have been. I think if this year’s team begins to relax, they get the Nika stink eye but, really, this nice bunch of kids with the silly Tik Tok videos and the goofy jokes are the meanest bunch of assassins on the court. It’s good to see some attitude from our Huskies.
  3. Consistency. We no longer have to worry about effort or wonder what UConn team will show up on any given night. Sure, a player may not score as much as usual due to stifling defense or illness but she’s still going to give 100% effort. I love watching this team. Even the losses…I’ve never been prouder of a UConn team than after the Maryland loss.
1) Yes Nan, in many ways a different type of team. I would add Caroline to the list of shooters not only from the 3 but also off of the bounce. You did not see it that much this year off the dribble, I think due to her injuries, since a pull up J is the most physically taxing shot to take. You did see it from the baseline against Marquette. With her long reach and height she was half an arm above the defender. She is also a cold blooded killer.

2) I think Nika has a lot to do with that attitude. It permeates the team. Once Caroline and Ay come back and we have 10 and numerous permutations on the court, the team will relax more and find a groove offensively with substitutions but defensively Geno will do his usual February transformation of the team and they will ratchet it down and tighten it even more. My only concern, which you allude to, is being out muscled like Notre Dame did to us. Azzi has to learn to deal with that by moving without the ball and by creating off the dribble more. Once the face guarding defender gets beat or fouls a few times, it opens everything up. I don't worry about Lou or CD or anyone else. I worry about Azzi when these teams try to beat us up and the officials abandon their whistles and "Let the girls play", which is an entirely different subject.

3) Great point. The team has a natural ability to play hard with several players who go out and do the work. The ups and downs are coming from Amari, Ines and Ay which is to be expected and for a while Caroline due to her injuries. The core 4 of AE, Nika, Lou and Dorka seem to play the same with only slight variations in effort. I excluded Aubrey from the mix because the timidity in her shooting detracts from her offensive consistency and confidence although her defense is always there. When she starts to get out on transition and scores and drives, she then takes her 3 point shot and when she hits it , she becomes an offensive weapon. As for consistent defense, the job she did on Everett last game was ridiculous. It was as though Everett was not on the floor once she switched onto her.

It is a multi cylinder, cohesive unit, with a vast array of talent and skills. We have the nation's leader in assists, the second best 3 point shooter by percentage in the country, the most explosive scorer in the country in Azzi, and two great interior players, either of whom can completely dominate a game, and two 5th year players who bring maturity and resolve. Throw in the X factor in Aubrey and instant offense in a healthy CD, and it is hard not to enjoy watching this team even when we are up 30. They try to play basketball in the way it is supposed to be played every single game.

It's the players also though. They are UCONN kids, through and through, all for one and one for all. I appreciate how proud you are of them. Look at what they have gone through this year. To me it's not only pride, it's love.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping Aubrey will take more outside shots- she really hesitated last game. Teams will learn to lay off her and then it's 5 folks guarding the remaining 4 Huskies which will clog things up.
clearly, Aubrey shooting with confidence and results completes a strong offensive team. I used to scream at Kiah Stokes to shoot more, but at 6'4" she was more than adequate with putbacks, rebounds and defense. AG needs to practice, hundreds of shots, until she reaches a level when the opposition can't leave her alone. Until then, the big defensive teams will ignore her or snuff her in close.

Reaction Score
clearly, Aubrey shooting with confidence and results completes a strong offensive team. I used to scream at Kiah Stokes to shoot more, but at 6'4" she was more than adequate with putbacks, rebounds and defense. AG needs to practice, hundreds of shots, until she reaches a level when the opposition can't leave her alone. Until then, the big defensive teams will ignore her or snuff her in close.
What makes you think that Aubrey does not practice hundreds of shots per day?

Reaction Score
Well said. I love that we have shooters out there. We have that stone cold killer mindset out there. Plus, like you said, we have a consistent level of play going.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
One thing I love about this team is the fact that a player or two might only have 2, 3, or 4 points in the game after the first or second quarter but end the game with close to 20. The never give up attitude seems to be contagious.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm hoping Aubrey will take more outside shots- she really hesitated last game. Teams will learn to lay off her and then it's 5 folks guarding the remaining 4 Huskies which will clog things up.
I think that if teams lay off of Aubrey, they will quickly regret it. Against St. John’s we didn't need her outside shots, or her offense, because she was shutting down whomever she was guarding. That showed up on the box score IMO.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I love this team's killer instinct. They get you down and keep you down. They don't relax. Look at their faces when they play. All business.

We have at least 6 players on any given night who can torch a team. You can't really double team anyone.

The passing has been a thing of beauty. Not just Nika, but Dorka and Aaliyah are doing the high post thing. And Amari is showing she has the ability to pass really well from the high post. Azzi and Lou are no second bananas when it comes to assists either.

Reaction Score
I think Aubrey will always be shy about shooting from distance. And, god forbid, if her first attempt does not go in, that is it for the game. But she will also always contribute a lot on defense, rebounding and in converting fast breaks. If she regularly shot 11-11 from the outside, her name would be Paige.

Reaction Score
I think Aubrey will always be shy about shooting from distance. And, god forbid, if her first attempt does not go in, that is it for the game. But she will also always contribute a lot on defense, rebounding and in converting fast breaks. If she regularly shot 11-11 from the outside, her name would be Paige.
Aubrey was one of the few selected to participate in the 3 point contest at First Night. Didn't win, but didn't do bad either. Aubrey can shoot the ball. The difference was no one was guarding her at First Night.

Reaction Score
I would only disagree with your second point because I believe it's still up in the air for me. I think that's why they haven't won a championship even though they've had all the talent in the world the past several years. So they have to show me when it matters. stop getting outhustled in the final 4

Reaction Score

This team is more like the Stewie years, take no prisoners. Play until the final whistle. And what made those years so special was the balance on offense and defense.
Take the open shot, make the pass for a better shot. On defense move your feet deflect passes, create runouts on defensive rebounds.
Continuous pressure, on offense and defense. This is a fun team to watch, full of surprises.

Reaction Score
Aubrey is this year's shock to me. I think she's a better defender than anyone we had last year ( I know Christine was good but Aubrey is a better defender in my book and putting up better offensive numbers as well by the way ). It's AUBREY folks. The biggest difference. Love AE's improvement, Azzi's improivement and Lou's consistency but the biggest deviation from last year is clearly Aubs. And it couldn't happen to a nicer kid. She's a TRUE LOCKDOWN DEFENDER and what a difference that can make against a lot of teams like SC, Iowa ...etc. Stanford.

Reaction Score
This team also has something that no previous UConn ever had; two grad students playing their fifth year of competition. That extra Covid year has radically changed the sport.

Reaction Score
What makes you think that Aubrey does not practice hundreds of shots per day?
Because her eyes don't light up at the opportunities, like they brighten when she's sees a drive angle to the hoop. She's a reluctant outside shooter, muttering "uh-oh" instead of "oh- boy". She has a pretty, soft foul shot, that doesn't translate to the 15 footer, for which I have no answer, beyond the "practice more" recomendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom