They're playing football all over Europe | Page 2 | The Boneyard

They're playing football all over Europe

Reaction Score
Here's something bizarre. UCLA football players will only return if Covid testing is not done by the university or athletic team. They don't trust the university to be honest with them they want third party testing.

I don't understand what the university would gain by falsifying test results or why the players believe that the university would try to trick them. Something amiss here.

Reaction Score
French football will allow 5,000 fans per game starting July 10th.

The PGA has a player contract a case of Covid. He withdrew and he along with his caddy will quarantine for ten days and the tournament goes on. There first open event with fans is scheduled for mid-July.

NASCAR has been racing for a month. A few team members have acquired the virus. They allowed 1,000 fans to attend their Miami event. Bristol will allow 30,000 in July. Texas Motor Speedway will have crowds as well.

The WWE has already allowed friends and family to attend WWE tapings in the stands. The Japanese counterpart of the WWE, New Japan Pro-Wresting is set to begin allowing fans in July.

All of these will have an impact on the NFL and college football.
Didn’t the French league cancel remaining matches until next season?

Reaction Score
Here's something bizarre. UCLA football players will only return if Covid testing is not done by the university or athletic team. They don't trust the university to be honest with them they want third party testing.

I don't understand what the university would gain by falsifying test results or why the players believe that the university would try to trick them. Something amiss here.

Reaction Score
You never know. Just a year ago I though nothing could be less enticing than visiting Ole Miss.
Generally, I hear you regarding the state of Mississippi. On the other hand, The Grove at Ole Miss is purportedly one of the nation's more enticing tailgating setting sans COVID19.

Reaction Score
French football, PGA, NASCAR, WWE, Japanese wrestling ... All of these will have an impact on the NFL and college football.
As one naive angle (Serbia as example) proved to be pock full of holes, shift the goal line to other smilarly not so relevant to potentially slightly relevant examples for NCAAF and NFL game attendance this fall. 5K fans Ligue 1 French stadiums with about 40K+ average capacity (generously 12.5% league-wide; massively skewed lower in Paris, Marseille, and Lyon); NASCAR 30K fans with Bristol's massive 160K capacity (18.5%; potentially reasonable projection for some NFL and NCAAF fans); wrestling in Japan where the Olympic committee eventually postponed to 2021 (maybe?) and wearing masks is cultural norm (Zero baseball and soccer fans likely better sample); WWE (hey, somebody has to enjoy theatrics at any cost).

Beauty's in the eyes and brains of the beholder, but I won't be near the front of the line to attend any NFL nor NCAAF games without massive declines in hospitalization rates. To each one's own!

Reaction Score
Speaking of Serbia, Novak Djokovic just hosted an exhibition tournament. There doesn't seem to be any apparent restrictions on social distancing in that country and there's plenty of clips on social media of players and others partying last week like it was 2019. One player later became symptomatic, was tested positive, others followed suit, then the event was abandoned on its last day and now Djokovic himself has COVID (link).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup, #1 Djokovic after he organized an exhibition tournament in Serbia and Croatia featuring a few other tourney pros including 3-time Grand Slam semi-finalist #19 Grigor Dimitrov also tested +. No worries, the US Open will still start Aug 31 with players, coaches, and trainers traveling from around the US and globe, paid staff, media, etc. No spectators, but others?

Since Djokovic stated the following 2 weeks ago and now tested + after his tourney in Serbia and Croatia, wonder how his perspective may have changed:

"The U.S. Open is set to begin on Aug. 31, but Novak Djokovic is concerned about conditions created by the coronavirus pandemic. "The rules that they told us that we would have to respect to be there, to play at all, they are extreme," the No. 1 men's player in the world told Prva TV, via ESPN.com. "We would not have access to Manhattan, we would have to sleep in hotels at the airport, to be tested twice or three times per week. "Also, we could bring one person to the club, which is really impossible. I mean, you need your coach, then a fitness trainer, then a physiotherapist." - Novak Djokovic

Novak-Djokovic-talks-issues-of-holding-us-open-amid-extreme-covid-19-protocols

Reaction Score
Worldwide of all cases about 2% of the cases are considered serious. The open is still over 60 days away. In some ways, it may turn out to be the best thing for the Joker.

Reaction Score
In vivid contrast to FL, TX, AZ and other current-severely impacted areas purportedly continuing to under report cases, hospitalizations and potentially deaths a la some East Asian nation's faux #s, sure hope several weeks massively improves the nationwide status. In general for living, working, socializing, etc, not just for less important attendance at less-important games.

Reasonably, people with directly-impacted family, friends, colleagues, neighbors, etc view COVID19 and its' impacts seriously. Mortality rates of 9% Fairfield and New Haven counties and >11% in Hartford county woke rational people up. Inexplicably, others sporting horse blinders may still need to be closely impacted to understand serious also equals surivors with heavily scarred lungs, other lingering-health challenges, possible re-infection, unknown immunity, etc. In the interim, perhaps such jokers will run to join the Churchill Downs horses. At least Koepka and the other golfer stayed away from CT after their caddies tested positive.
Johns Hopkins Medical "Cases and Mortality reporting'

Reaction Score
Boy, Europe is sure doing great, huh @Palatine ? Sigh.
It's worldwide pandemic. What do you want to do shut down the world? In the case of athletes, almost no one even gets symptoms, let alone sick. Many leagues have played their seasons and crowned a champion. Sport teams and leagues are being cautious. The players seem safe. Figure out the risk, then continue to live your life.

BTW, does anyone really believe that China has had less Covid deaths than Connecticut? That's what they are reporting.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It's worldwide pandemic. What do you want to do shut down the world? In the case of athletes, almost no one even gets symptoms, let alone sick. Many leagues have played their seasons and crowned a champion. Sport teams and leagues are being cautious. The players seem safe. Figure out the risk, then continue to live your life.

BTW, does anyone really believe that China has had less Covid deaths than Connecticut? That's what they are reporting.
I don't believe the COVid information in any countries but for Canada and the EU nations because most others aren't doing nearly the testing volume we are doing and most governments are trying to look competent and strong by rounding down every which way they can.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

nice goalpost switch. Funny how it's not about fans or Europe anymore, now that both are disasters.

Reaction Score
I’m as anxious as anyone to get back to normal but when the SEC, XII and ACC agreed to play I asked what would have to occur to cause a reversal? Most of you said nothing would stop it. Now we have Saban, FLA/LSU, NFL issues, and rising case counts. Is it possible a few of the B1G presidents (such as UM) might be reconsidering?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’m as anxious as anyone to get back to normal but when the SEC, XII and ACC agreed to play I asked what would have to occur to cause a reversal? Most of you said nothing would stop it. Now we have Saban, FLA/LSU, NFL issues, and rising case counts. Is it possible a few of the B1G presidents (such as UM) might be reconsidering?

Overall, far more pro and college football has been played than I expected. Yes the cancelled games get all the headlines, however I'm surprised we have made it this far. I suppose the wheels could really fall off over the next three weeks.

Reaction Score
nice goalpost switch. Funny how it's not about fans or Europe anymore, now that both are disasters.
The original goal post was that the shut down would last until the virus leveled off. It has leveled off. There are no disasters in sports. Virtually no athletes got sick. The only one I can think of is the Red Sox pitcher (he's better now with no lingering effects). There have been ups and down's with the protocals affecting games. But player safety has not been compromised. Where is the "disaster" you're referring to? The Premiere League will only shut down if England forces them to. What exactly is your point?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom