They were worried PSU would go to ACC? | The Boneyard

They were worried PSU would go to ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's some truth to what Alvarez is saying. Once the ACC added Pitt and Syracuse and potentially ND for football, Penn State made the most sense as the 16th team. Imagine one division of Penn State, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Maryland, ND, Miami, and VT and the other division of Florida State, Clemson, GT, UNC, Duke, Virginia, Wake Forest, and NC State. Kind of the old Eastern independents in one division and the old ACC in the other. This would have made everybody in the ACC happy.

Now imagine that you played 7 division games and two rotating crossover teams. Six teams would have permanent crossover rivals: Virginia Tech/Virginia, ND/GT, Miami/FSU to keep traditional rivalries around.

ND would play BC, GT, Pitt, Penn St., Miami, Maryland, Virginia Tech, and Syracuse every year plus one other ACC school. This would allow them to play USC and Navy every year and rotate Stanford, Michigan, Michigan St., Purdue, and other teams for the last game. Seems workable.

As for the financials, who knows if Penn State could have left the Big 10. But the ACC would have been a better conference than the Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12 in football and the top basketball conference.

Reaction Score
Penn St may have made the most sense to the ACC, but the ACC sure as hell didn't make the most sense to Penn St.

In order to move conference, the current president would have to be even dumber than the last one, and the last one was an idiot.

If Alvarez really believes that, the Badgers should be concerned that a senile man is coaching their Rose Bowl team.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I thinking they were more afraid of PSU leaving for an as yet named eastern conference once the current trend reverses and programs realize being in a spread out 16 team conference isn't all that and a bag of chips.

With the death of the BE and ACC, an opening for 10 schools 10-20 years from now, unhappy with bowing to Michigan or Texas or the Southern SEC teams would reform a NE/Mid Atlantic conference.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I thinking they were more afraid of PSU leaving for an as yet named eastern conference once the current trend reverses and programs realize being in a spread out 16 team conference isn't all that and a bag of chips.

With the death of the BE and ACC, an opening for 10 schools 10-20 years from now, unhappy with bowing to Michigan or Texas or the Southern SEC teams would reform a NE/Mid Atlantic conference.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

For the foreseeable future, the BTN will lock in member schools as the network will be entrenched and it will be too hard to walk away. I believe the top conferences, Pac 12 and SEC have or are following the BTN which will lock in their members. Texas launched one for themselves which speaks volumes about the Big 12. ND has had their own media deal for years. I don't think the ACC has the right mix of schools to launch a successful cable network.

You have to wonder when more schools outside of Texas and ND decide to become more independent minded about their media rights as there are a lot of freeloaders out there who don't deserve what they are being paid. Thus, you may see less of a focus on conferences in the long run.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For nearly a decade the braintrust of the BE was convinced that if ND joined for football, they could easily draw Penn St to the BE (this was before the Sandusky induced near death penalty no less).

For months there had been rumors (I imagine led by the ACC) that the ACC had PSU targeted as an expansion candidate. Even if the ACC had no shot at landing PSU, the B1G couldn't have been happy with the rumors.

I have no reason to believe that PSU could be had that easily but is quite possible that the B1G was concerned enough about the possibility (or at least enough of the nuisance of the rumors) that they saw a successful counterattack as their best course of action.

Reaction Score
For months there had been rumors (I imagine led by the ACC) that the ACC had PSU targeted as an expansion candidate. Even if the ACC had no shot at landing PSU, the B1G couldn't have been happy with the rumors.

Could they really be that dumb?

This strikes me like Google being worried because one of their employees was offered a job as a McDonald's cashier. And PSU is huge damaged goods right now; they need the B10 more than ever.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Could they really be that dumb?

This strikes me like Google being worried because one of their employees was offered a job as a McDonald's cashier. And PSU is huge damaged goods right now; they need the B10 more than ever.

but that mcdonalds is where the dude of wvu works...

Reaction Score
The way I read those comments, I do not think it was not viewed as an imminent threat. But it was viewed as a possible long term outcome.

Reaction Score
From what I heard from Penn St. Alumni in NYC, there was a very vocal faction of Alumni with money who were very mad that it appeared that BiG leadership sided with the NCAA over Penn St. with the Sandusky tragedy. Since Paterno was pro ‘Eastern’ football and not BiG, there was talk of pressuring Penn St. to bolt for the ACC. But, no one believes it was seriously considering being considered in part due to all of the other ‘benefits’ that the BiG offers Penn St.
It’s a moot point now that the ACC appears to be sinking, though not as fast as the Big whatEver.
Imagine though if Penn St. went to the ACC before the Rutgers & Maryland move? FSU would have shut-up above moving to the XII and ND may have even gone 100% into ACC. The ACC would be considered a lock to be one of 4 ‘super’ conferences.

Reaction Score
From what I know of PSU alumni, almost no one shares that sentiment of being upset with the Big10 because of sanctions. The vast majority of them actually feel that it was PSU's BOT that drew up the punishment and the NCAA signed off. I don't think that happened, but that's what they believe.

I think FCF is right and that this only makes sense if Notre Dame was somehow talking to PSU about going all in to the ACC. The two schools could have demanded some changes in the ACCs payout structure (and FSU would have gone along) which would have given them as much if not more cake than what PSU gets from the B10.

Lastly, the only time I heard about PSU fans wanting the ACC was after the unbelievably bad refs during the Nebraska game. As usual PSU fans are convinced that the reffing in the Big10 is influenced if not controlled by the biases of the league office. That I agree on. This is why they hate the B10.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL - if you hate biased officiating the last thing you'd want to do is join the ACC. The league which gives us Ron Cherry and Karl Hess.

Reaction Score
It really just seems the ACC drew the BiG's ire by extending ND the deal they did. Everyone knows the BiG has wanted ND all in in their conference forever. When ND went in to the ACC, then began publicly saying they would eventually play their football in the ACC, it essentially pissed the the BiG off two fold. First you messed with their plan to get ND into the BiG, then you're claiming a team "in their footprint". From the BiG's viewpoint, it was tantamount to declaring war. ACC found out that the BiG isn't the Big East, they hit back.

Reaction Score
LOL - if you hate biased officiating the last thing you'd want to do is join the ACC. The league which gives us Ron Cherry and Karl Hess.

I watch. I don't see anything as bad as B10 football. We are not talking biased officiating here. We are talking about outright incomprehensibility. The list is too long, but the calls that have gone against PSU defy belief. again, not a matter of outright bias, but things no one could explain. These aren't referee mistakes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
From what I know of PSU alumni, almost no one shares that sentiment of being upset with the Big10 because of sanctions. The vast majority of them actually feel that it was PSU's BOT that drew up the punishment and the NCAA signed off. I don't think that happened, but that's what they believe.

I think FCF is right and that this only makes sense if Notre Dame was somehow talking to PSU about going all in to the ACC. The two schools could have demanded some changes in the ACCs payout structure (and FSU would have gone along) which would have given them as much if not more cake than what PSU gets from the B10.

Lastly, the only time I heard about PSU fans wanting the ACC was after the unbelievably bad refs during the Nebraska game. As usual PSU fans are convinced that the reffing in the Big10 is influenced if not controlled by the biases of the league office. That I agree on. This is why they hate the B10.
I'm sure the BOT can't wait for the popular reaction to calm down. The last thing they want is to have anyone connect the dots to their involvement with the Sandusky affair, which I'm sure exists and which I'm sure many PSU people know exists but can't prove. I'm still wondering who offed the DA.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I watch. I don't see anything as bad as B10 football. We are not talking biased officiating here. We are talking about outright incomprehensibility. The list is too long, but the calls that have gone against PSU defy belief. again, not a matter of outright bias, but things no one could explain. These aren't referee mistakes.

I'm sure. And every ACC blogger and tweeter will give you a laundry list of ways that their school was screwed by ACC refs. Nobody is making any decisions on their conference with tens of millions at stake over calls made in games.

Reaction Score
I'm sure. And every ACC blogger and tweeter will give you a laundry list of ways that their school was screwed by ACC refs. Nobody is making any decisions on their conference with tens of millions at stake over calls made in games.

Here's where you're mistaken. Those calls take away championships, they take away recruits, they take away fannies in the seats. Those calls are worth more money than an extra $1 million or two a year.

I'd challenge an ACC blogger to top the PSU calls--such as the ball going over the touchdown line this year and the replay booth refusing to call it a TD. In the past there have been receptions with 3 feet down called out of bounds, extra 10 seconds put on the clock with under 30 seconds to go, penalty on PSU for fans cheering too loud at the end of a game giving an extra down to michigan, in that Nebraska game a penalty on the sideline for not getting back (no warning) even though it was the punting unit running on the field, inexplicable calls like this one late in the game: http://vmedia.rivals.com/UserMedia/FanPagesPhoto/Gallery/723/O71542.jpg

This 4th down conversion late in the game keeps the Ohio State drive alive and eventually leads to winning score to end undefeated PSU's quest for the national championship. This has repeated itself over and over and over.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here's where you're mistaken. Those calls take away championships, they take away recruits, they take away fannies in the seats. Those calls are worth more money than an extra $1 million or two a year.

I'd challenge an ACC blogger to top the PSU calls--such as the ball going over the touchdown line this year and the replay booth refusing to call it a TD. In the past there have been receptions with 3 feet down called out of bounds, extra 10 seconds put on the clock with under 30 seconds to go, penalty on PSU for fans cheering too loud at the end of a game giving an extra down to michigan, in that Nebraska game a penalty on the sideline for not getting back (no warning) even though it was the punting unit running on the field, inexplicable calls like this one late in the game: http://vmedia.rivals.com/UserMedia/FanPagesPhoto/Gallery/723/O71542.jpg

This 4th down conversion late in the game keeps the Ohio State drive alive and eventually leads to winning score to end undefeated PSU's quest for the national championship. This has repeated itself over and over and over.

I'm mistaken that a lot of fanbases think their schools get screwed by their conference officials? Okey dokey.

A million or two a year? For the sake of easy math the Big 10 is going to be at 40 million and the ACC at 20 million. So you believe that Penn State would go take 20 million less a year from the ACC because of calls made in games. The ACC which has more complaints about biased officiating than any other league in the country. You are saying that is a possibility?

Reaction Score
I'm mistaken that a lot of fanbases think their schools get screwed by their conference officials? Okey dokey.

A million or two a year? For the sake of easy math the Big 10 is going to be at 40 million and the ACC at 20 million. So you believe that Penn State would go take 20 million less a year from the ACC because of calls made in games. The ACC which has more complaints about biased officiating than any other league in the country. You are saying that is a possibility?

Did I say that? No.

This isn't a matter of getting screwed. Refs are biased and they also make mistakes. This is a matter of manipulation when there is either incontrovertible evidence or when calls come out of the woodwork -- unheard of calls such as too much cheering. When these calls are made at the end of games and they change the game's result, they are big. This isn't a matter of being screwed by refs. There's much more to it than that.

PSU + ND would change the ball game for the ACC. PSU out of the Big10 changes that 40 million figure (which is projected, by the way). The money evens out pretty quickly with PSU football and ND football to the ACC. Those two football programs have as much cache as anyone in the Big10, and if you combine them with Clemson, FSU, VT and the potential of UNC (not going to mention Miami), the lineup is as formidable as Michigan, Nebraska, OSU and Wisconsin.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Did I say that? No.

This isn't a matter of getting screwed. Refs are biased and they also make mistakes. This is a matter of manipulation when there is either incontrovertible evidence or when calls come out of the woodwork -- unheard of calls such as too much cheering. When these calls are made at the end of games and they change the game's result, they are big. This isn't a matter of being screwed by refs. There's much more to it than that.

PSU + ND would change the ball game for the ACC. PSU out of the Big10 changes that 40 million figure (which is projected, by the way). The money evens out pretty quickly with PSU football and ND football to the ACC. Those two football programs have as much cache as anyone in the Big10, and if you combine them with Clemson, FSU, VT and the potential of UNC (not going to mention Miami), the lineup is as formidable as Michigan, Nebraska, OSU and Wisconsin.

So your point about officiating is idiotic. They would leave if they could join a conference with Notre Dame. No kidding.

And Penn State is well behind Ohio State and Michigan in cache. Lumping them in with Notre Dame makes anyone look better.

Reaction Score
So your point about officiating is idiotic. They would leave if they could join a conference with Notre Dame. No kidding.

And Penn State is well behind Ohio State and Michigan in cache. Lumping them in with Notre Dame makes anyone look better.

Except for the fact they're not well behind. As has been proven over and over and over again by eyeballs. By popularity.

So, it's idiotic to say calls like too much cheering are rare. do you even ever watch football? I don't think you do.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Except for the fact they're not well behind. As has been proven over and over and over again by eyeballs. By popularity.

So, it's idiotic to say calls like too much cheering are rare. do you even ever watch football? I don't think you do.

No it's idiotic to say that Penn State is going to change conferences because of calls in games.

Yeah Penn State is bigger than Michigan and Ohio State. Lets check back in ten years after they spend another decade looking up at them.

You can't even be remotely objective about Penn State so I'll drop out now and you can get the last word by misrepresenting my position and crying the Big 10 is out to get PSU

Reaction Score
I know their are a number of PSU fans who feel that they are treated like a Red Haired StepChild by the B1G elete.
I don't think leaving was ever seriously entertained by their Board.
Face it the B1G is a conference of Great Universities.
The ACC has Louisville, FSU, Clemson, and Miami.
Notre Dame has a better chance of playing football in the B1G than the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom