They Better Be | The Boneyard

They Better Be

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Readier Than Last Year

"Last season, the UConn women’s basketball team wasn’t prepared to handle the loss of Napheesa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson. Though the Huskies returned four players who saw significant time from the 2017-18 squad, it took all of one game — an ugly 72-61 win over Cal in the season opener — to see that some of those players might’ve been in over their heads in their new roles.

Crystal Dangerfield and Megan Walker proved they were ready for the spotlight, but beyond those two, Christyn Williams was maddeningly inconsistent and Olivia Nelson-Ododa, while much-improved, wasn’t ready to compete with some of the top bigs in the nation."

Reaction Score
Evina, Christyn, and Olivia seem to be stepping up to fill the leadership void left by the graduation of the seniors, specifically Crystal, Kyla, and Molly. The team next year is young and inexperienced with Christyn and Olivia having only a single NCAA tournament under their belts. Certainly, the underclassmen will look to the examples set by the upperclassmen. So far, so good.

Paige on the example Christyn Williams sets:

“With Christyn, just seeing how hard she works, seeing how hard she goes in the workouts is obviously something I want to be like and I aspire to be like her in that regard. So, her just kind of leading by example and showing me how hard it is to be a player here and how hard you have to work is something I’ve learned from her really quickly.”

Autumn Chassion on team captain Evina Westbrook:

“She’s super vocal with everything,” Chassion said. “If we have any questions we can always go to her … Anything we ever need Evina’s there for us on and off the court.”

Reaction Score
We'll have to see how this group plays to see if they are good enough to beat the top teams, which last year they weren't. To put into perspective what a not so "ready" UConn team looks like, since 93/94, which was an 8 loss team, a "bad" team lost a max of 5 games and a good team lost not a one. No matter what this team looks like we can expect at least 25 or 26 wins. Not bad for a down year.

This year may not be a world beater team, but between the extra year of playing time for this year's upperclass women, a year under their belts for this year's frosh and the recruits in the pipeline, next year and years after there will be no question that UConn will be ready to beat anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Reaction Score
A couple of days ago I was re-watching some of the late season games from last year,
and they seemed to be playing much better than they had earlier in the season. It's
unfortunate that the season ended so abruptly as I would like to have seen that team
get another crack at some of the teams who had beaten them. I think it was better
than even money that they would have gotten back to the final four.

Reaction Score
We'll have to see how this group plays to see if they are good enough to beat the top teams, which last year they weren't. To put into perspective what a not so "ready" UConn team looks like, since 93/94, which was an 8 loss team, a "bad" team lost a max of 5 games and a good team lost not a one. No matter what this team looks like we can expect at least 25 or 26 wins. Not bad for a down year.

This year may not be a world beater team, but between the extra year of playing time for this year's upperclass women, a year under their belts for this year's frosh and the recruits in the pipeline, next year and years after there will be no question that UConn will be ready to beat anyone, anytime, anywhere.

No way leading up to NCAA Tourney this team only wins 25 or 26 games unless a certain amount of games get called off or if they get injuries.

Too much talent on this team for that and too good of coaching.

This team will be capable of beating anyone anytime anywhere. I doubt undefeated. I'd never predict undefeated unless the talent is proven super-supreme but this team UCONN is rolling out is a probable one seed.

Reaction Score

The 04-05 team also lost 8 games with losses to Michigan State and Arizona State among them.

Reaction Score
The 04-05 team also lost 8 games with losses to Michigan State and Arizona State among them.
Oh you mean the 2005 NCAA runner-up Michigan State and 2005 Sweet Sixteen ASU team?

Reaction Score
The 93/94 team didn't lose eight. I meant to say that since 93/94, with the exception of the eight loss 04/05 team, no team has more than five losses. That level of excellence over an almost 30 year span is amazing.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A couple of days ago I was re-watching some of the late season games from last year,
and they seemed to be playing much better than they had earlier in the season. It's
unfortunate that the season ended so abruptly as I would like to have seen that team
get another crack at some of the teams who had beaten them. I think it was better
than even money that they would have gotten back to the final four.

They those games because their shots were not falling. It would hav been interesting to see if they shot that poorly a second time.

Reaction Score
As in past seasons the only wish-list I make for the UCONN WBB team is to stay healthy all season!
No major injuries or illnesses!
There will be your typical soreness, or slight colds, but hopefully all 11 members stay able to play their best and their hardest each game!
If that happens then let the chips fall where they may. The talent, desire, work ethic is there in spades and they will have an outstanding season!
The perfect example is the 2000-2001 season with their top leaders injured and out, Shea and Svet they fell apart in the 2nd 1/2 vs ND in the Final 4 Semi's with a 15 point lead at 1/2 time! With their 2 AA's and Captains they would not have had to depend on freshman Diana Taurasi, who folded under the pressure!
This year and the next few coming up will be so entertaining and successful!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom