These Huskies are going to BITE | The Boneyard

These Huskies are going to BITE

Reaction Score
The past few years the one thing that has been missing is attitude. This years team has plenty. And mostly from Freshmen and Evina. Paige is the best Freshman from all around skill set that I’ve ever seen. She won’t be perfect, but she is a WOMAN among girls and is clearly just beginning. But this Freshman class is so mature with the way they play. Edwards, Muhl, McLean, all of them seem FEARLESS!!! Competition was down. But you can clearly see..if a DOG is gonna bite it will bite as a PUP! All they lack is consistent shooting. But hopefully Christyn and Anna will start to drill them. Next 3 years is gonna be nuts when the shooters arrive! Excited!

Reaction Score
The past few years the one thing that has been missing is attitude. This years team has plenty. And mostly from Freshmen and Evina. Paige is the best Freshman from all around skill set that I’ve ever seen. She won’t be perfect, but she is a WOMAN among girls and is clearly just beginning. But this Freshman class is so mature with the way they play. Edwards, Muhl, McLean, all of them seem FEARLESS!!! Competition was down. But you can clearly see..if a DOG is gonna bite it will bite as a PUP! All they lack is consistent shooting. But hopefully Christyn and Anna will start to drill them. Next 3 years is gonna be nuts when the shooters arrive! Excited!
Williams, as we know, is a streaky three point shooter. She will get red hot and then miss everything. Anna is a bit steadier, once she finds her range and balance. Paige can also drill threes. And Westbrook has a nice stroke, too.

Reaction Score
Geno had said that the competitiveness and fire from the freshmen was really high...liking it alot!!
I was disappointed that he gave no debut to Autumn...our walk-on. Maybe it is part of Geno's tradition. But the game circumstance ( 40 point lead and plenty of time on the clock) would have made it easy. I felt bad for Autumn. She will have to be tough and good.

Reaction Score
I was really impressed with the team....more based upon individual talent than team play. Our depth will be scary and coaches will be able to "mix and match" to opponents, if they wish to do so. But every player seems to have enormous skills and talent. McClain stood out to me as did Aubrey. So did #3 although she is rough around the edges. She will be in foul trouble early, and often. Paige needs no comment. She was already the best player on the floor. In the show after the Game, Geno said he was still looking at the players ( of course ) to determine who is best at what. He focused, as an example, on how he used to use Gabby to defend the other team's top player.....and wondered who that player would be on this team. Isn't Aubrey the obvious choice? Anyway, it is so great to have them back. Keep your fingers crossed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was disappointed that he gave no debut to Autumn...our walk-on. Maybe it is part of Geno's tradition. But the game circumstance ( 40 point lead and plenty of time on the clock) would have made it easy. I felt bad for Autumn. She will have to be tough and good.

Perhaps it was tradition, perhaps Geno wanted to see her reaction to not getting in, who knows. I would have liked to see her get in too. Maybe Tuesday. :)

Reaction Score
I was really impressed with the team....more based upon individual talent than team play. Our depth will be scary and coaches will be able to "mix and match" to opponents, if they wish to do so. But every player seems to have enormous skills and talent. McClain stood out to me as did Aubrey. So did #3 although she is rough around the edges. She will be in foul trouble early, and often. Paige needs no comment. She was already the best player on the floor. In the show after the Game, Geno said he was still looking at the players ( of course ) to determine who is best at what. He focused, as an example, on how he used to use Gabby to defend the other team's top player.....and wondered who that player would be on this team. Isn't Aubrey the obvious choice? Anyway, it is so great to have them back. Keep your fingers crossed.
Yea...hoping the season will go forward. Mclean showed some things that I thought were very impressive! And Aubrey is a terror!

Reaction Score

As behind as UConn is, every second of game time is valuable for the development of rotational players. UConn is as high level as College Basketball gets, there is simply just not enough time to worry about the feelings of a walk-on who is not likely to play a single meaningful minute in their career. I hate to sound harsh, but that is just the way it is.

Reaction Score
I was impressed with what I saw, but it was against the weakest team they will play all season. Good starting point, but let's see what happens after Seton Hall And Butler. Both were 11-7 in the Big East last year, overall Seton Hall was 19-12 and Butler was 19-11.
I'm a bit concerned about matching up with some bigs. ONO and AE played together for 1-2 minutes near the end of the first quarter. Most of the game saw 4 guards on the floor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As behind as UConn is, every second of game time is valuable for the development of rotational players. UConn is as high level as College Basketball gets, there is simply just not enough time to worry about the feelings of a walk-on who is not likely to play a single meaningful minute in their career. I hate to sound harsh, but that is just the way it is.

How quickly they forget "Polly at the buzzer," the young woman who scored the final points in Stewie's final game. "Just" a walk-on, Briana Pulido sank one of the most memorable shots in UConn history. The moment was electric, and the whole Husky family roared as one as Polly high-stepped it down the court beside herself with joy. Still gives me goosebumps.
PS/Future question: "Who scored the first basket in the first game Paige ever played at UConn?"

Reaction Score
You are undoubtedly correct. But this walk-on is not like other walk-ons. This is not an athletic track star
who " answered the call" for help. I'm sure she will get some garbage minutes.. That is all I expect. But a 40+ lead on the River Hawks, with 5 minutes remaining, is a pretty safe opportunity. So he must have a policy.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
How quickly they forget "Polly at the buzzer," the young woman who scored the final points in Stewie's final game. "Just" a walk-on, Briana Pulido sank one of the most memorable shots in UConn history. The moment was electric, and the whole Husky family roared as one as Polly high-stepped it down the court beside herself with joy. Still gives me goosebumps.
PS/Future question: "Who scored the first basket in the first game Paige ever played at UConn?"
PAIGE

Reaction Score

"Memorable"? Yes, absolutely! Meaningful? Not really.

Reaction Score
PAIGE
Polly was the track star who " walked On" when a plea went out for players. She was beloved and pretty good by the end of her career, because she was a fine athlete. But track was her forte, and basketball a secondary sport for her. Autumn, I think, is not only a fine athlete but a basketball player. She will have to really love UCONN ( the reason she turned down scholarships elsewhere ) to find her career rewarding. It is highly unlikely that she can elevate her game enough to play with this team ( and next year's recruits ). The talent on UCONN is simply awesome ( though still largely undeveloped ). Autumn did make a shot which was waived off due to a " travel " call, I think. (Refs in that game called a lot of " travel" turnovers. Sometimes quite " iffy.").

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Polly was the track star who " walked On" when a plea went out for players. She was beloved and pretty good by the end of her career, because she was a fine athlete. But track was her forte, and basketball a secondary sport for her. Autumn, I think, is not only a fine athlete but a basketball player. She will have to really love UCONN ( the reason she turned down scholarships elsewhere ) to find her career rewarding. It is highly unlikely that she can elevate her game enough to play with this team ( and next year's recruits ). The talent on UCONN is simply awesome ( though still largely undeveloped ). Autumn did make a shot which was waived off due to a " travel " call, I think. (Refs in that game called a lot of " travel" turnovers. Sometimes quite " iffy.").
?????? Please read the question that I answered, it had nothing to do with "Walk On's".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom