There is talent on offense. Schemes are bad. | The Boneyard

There is talent on offense. Schemes are bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bottom line is offensive schemes and gameplay are terrible. End of last year, we spread it out and passed and ran it better. You can't have a plain vanilla power football scheme unless you have superior players. Since our OL is not good, you can not run a plain vanilla power football scheme. We have to spread the defense out to create more open lanes. We need to have quick slants, 4 WR sets, misdirection,... A different offensive philosophy would help hide our weaknesses.

When I watch our offense, it is either a run between the tackles or a mid yardage pass. Off course the defense can attack our simple offense. Where are the reverses? Where are the slants? Where are the quick pitches?

Look, I don't think UConn has Alabama talent, but the Offensive schemes and gameplan are making our players look worse than they are.

Reaction Score
Uconn has 1 offensive player, Davis, who I would consider talented. Tough to win with that lack of skill.
You're wrong. We have a group of players that have explosive possibilities.

Reaction Score
Guess arkeel newsome and D Foxx aren't talented. Dhameer Bradley, Lemelle. Bloom at tight end?

Reaction Score
Alabama could take our backs and receivers and put up huge numbers in this conference and decent ones in theirs. But even they would have a few more ideas than we seem to.

Reaction Score
Guess arkeel newsome and D Foxx aren't talented. Dhameer Bradley, Lemelle. Bloom at tight end?

Lamelle has barely seen the field this year. Only time I saw him on the sideline, he didn't even have his helmet on. I had high hopes for him this year.

Reaction Score
"It's not the players....it's the scheme"

Ahhh where have we heard this before?

Sometimes if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck. .....etc

Reaction Score
"It's not the players....it's the scheme"

Ahhh where have we heard this before?

Sometimes if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck. .....etc

Yeah seriously. I am a pretty big Diaco skeptic (how can you not be with what your watching?) but I'm not seeing this there is talent stuff. This team is awful. The players are bad. Especially mentally. They play in slow motion. They are not physical. They do not expect to win. They make about 3-5 mistakes a game that take away any chance of them winning (fumbles, lining up off sides on a TD turnover). They are soft. Physically and mentally. And the results the last 2 years show it.

These players are not good. I could use a lot of words to describe them to but dissing the players is a big no no here so I won't. But while Diaco is a huge question mark now and deserves to feel some heat, these players need to be held accountable for the way they play the game. They have done great harm to this program and University. I watch a lot of college football and from regional schools Temple, UMass to Syracuse to conference opponents like ECU and Cincinnati, and of course the top 25, UConn is as bad as any team right now in comparison. It could take years to recover from this. These players are the reason why. Division 1-AA teams at UConn played the game with more fire and excitement than these players do.

Reaction Score
Yeah seriously. I am a pretty big Diaco skeptic (how can you not be with what your watching?) but I'm not seeing this there is talent stuff. This team is awful. The players are bad. Especially mentally. They play in slow motion. They are not physical. They do not expect to win. They make about 3-5 mistakes a game that take away any chance of them winning (fumbles, lining up off sides on a TD turnover). They are soft. Physically and mentally. And the results the last 2 years show it.

These players are not good. I could use a lot of words to describe them to but dissing the players is a big no no here so I won't. But while Diaco is a huge question mark now and deserves to feel some heat, these players need to be held accountable for the way they play the game. They have done great harm to this program and University. I watch a lot of college football and from regional schools Temple, UMass to Syracuse to conference opponents like ECU and Cincinnati, and of course the top 25, UConn is as bad as any team right now in comparison. It could take years to recover from this. These players are the reason why. Division 1-AA teams at UConn played the game with more fire and excitement than these players do.

How was Coach Rhule viewed during and after his 2-10 season a year ago?

Reaction Score
Casey made this same group of players resemble an offense.
Look at the NYG Thursday. We heard and saw the same things about their offense all last year and the exhibition season. Finally got rid of killdrive, installed a new offense that hides their line issues and Eli goes from over the hill to the new Payton.
Same personnel. Just innovative coaching.
Warde really whiffed on this. We of all programs needed a win now coach. Even if this guy does get it together down the road 5 years it will be too little too late. The P5 will have passed us by.

Reaction Score
Uconn has 1 offensive player, Davis, who I would consider talented. Tough to win with that lack of skill.

You are totally wrong. Look at the skill players on offense relative to last year. At the end of last year, our offense was explosive. The WRs are mostly the same. The TEs are better than last year. Our RBs are better than last year. OL is weaker and QB is a Senior. I don't care how bad you think Whitmer is, the offense that is being run is making him look worse.

When you don't try any deception on offense, you are going to look bad when your OL is not good.

Reaction Score
This power offense most of the game with a fullback and tight end with the QB under center is not going to get us anywhere this year. Our QB should be in shotgun most of the game and put two faster running backs in and run misdirection or go 4 wide. The fullback is a wasted position with a group that can't execute the blocking for a power run game. Our QB needs every second to look downfield, under center and then dropping back is not working.

Reaction Score
This power offense most of the game with a fullback and tight end with the QB under center is not going to get us anywhere this year. Our QB should be in shotgun most of the game and put two faster running backs in and run misdirection or go 4 wide. The fullback is a wasted position with a group that can't execute the blocking for a power run game.

Exactly. What is the fullback for? Have we run a jet sweep this year? A quick slant or out? A reverse? A fake reverse even? How many times are there 4 WRs?

I really don't get what they are trying to do on offense.

Reaction Score
From the amount of time G Davis is on the sideline I don't either. Teams aren't double covering him which we should make them do or exploit the single coverage. We aren't the greatest but right now our coaching staff is giving the defense a slow moving target to hit.

Reaction Score
Exactly. What is the fullback for? Have we run a jet sweep this year? A quick slant or out? A reverse? A fake reverse even? How many times are there 4 WRs?

I really don't get what they are trying to do on offense.

I don't know football stategy as well as many on this board, but the UCONN offense has looked abysmal, and has played below thier potential. Some may legitimately argue the there is an apparent lack of talent in the team, but so far any lack of talent seems to extend more prominently to the coach staff than to the players.

Reaction Score
Problem is Bradley, Lemelle and Bloom aren't seeing the field and for the life of me not sure why not. The Foxx punt return days need to be over and put Lemelle back there again. But to the original post, I agree where are the adjustments from this coaching staff. Yes the O-line completely sucks. So bring in an extra TE, have the FB both help in pass protection. Try some quick screens, reverses, misdirection plays, just something different for a change. How stinking predictable can we be? There are ways to take pressure of the O-line other than running the same plays over and over.

Reaction Score
Can't agree with you more. There is no creativity in the play calling. The bubble screens, the slants, the reverses, the end around, the quick pitches. Where are these plays? We are not a drop back passing team. We can't block for it. So what do you do in that situation? Exactly what you mention UconnJim but we don't see it. Its really hard to believe that these types of plays are not called.

Reaction Score
Very hard to win games when you do not have a D1 QB on the field

Reaction Score
Bottom line is offensive schemes and gameplay are terrible. End of last year, we spread it out and passed and ran it better. You can't have a plain vanilla power football scheme unless you have superior players. Since our OL is not good, you can not run a plain vanilla power football scheme. We have to spread the defense out to create more open lanes. We need to have quick slants, 4 WR sets, misdirection,... A different offensive philosophy would help hide our weaknesses.

When I watch our offense, it is either a run between the tackles or a mid yardage pass. Off course the defense can attack our simple offense. Where are the reverses? Where are the slants? Where are the quick pitches?

Look, I don't think UConn has Alabama talent, but the Offensive schemes and gameplan are making our players look worse than they are.
Agreed 10000000%

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Spread the damn field so teams can't put 8 or 9 in the box.

Doing the same thing and expecting a different result is maddening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits