There is life beyond FBS. | The Boneyard

There is life beyond FBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I attended a Division II game yesterday. #22 Henderson State University (9-1) at #4 Ouachita Baptist University (10-0) in Arkansas. This is the NCAA’s closest rivalry ... the two schools are right across the street from each other. Their all-time record was 43-43-6 before yesterday.

It was sunny and 55 degrees. The smell of barbecue was everywhere. “Cliff Harris Stadium” (named after the Ouachita alum and former Dallas Cowboy) holds 6,500. The stadium was filled to capacity and they had an extra 1,000 people on the grass hills behind both end zones.

Henderson scored with a minute and a half left, to go up 21-17. Then Ouachita scored with 30 seconds left, to win 24-21. The quality of play was very good, with the exception of a few dropped passes by the Ouachita receivers.

Very few people outside of Arkansas would care about this game. But for the players, students, alums, and administrations, it meant everything. People had fun. For one day, it was refreshing to see college football as it was meant to be.

I’m not suggesting this game has any relevance to UConn. I’m just providing you with my college football experience this weekend.

Reaction Score
Traveling for work a few years ago my company had a facility in Pittsburg, Kansas. Ended up attending a Pittsburg State vs Missouri Southern State game. the place was filled. It was a great time. Found out Pittsburg State has a rich football tradition in DII. They use to play a game in Arrowhead every year. I go to a game at Coast Guard every year, its a great place to watch a game!

1574004399666.png

Reaction Score
I attended a Division II game yesterday. #22 Henderson State University (9-1) at #4 Ouachita Baptist University (10-0) in Arkansas. This is the NCAA’s closest rivalry ... the two schools are right across the street from each other. Their all-time record was 43-43-6 before yesterday.

It was sunny and 55 degrees. The smell of barbecue was everywhere. “Cliff Harris Stadium” (named after the Ouachita alum and former Dallas Cowboy) holds 6,500. The stadium was filled to capacity and they had an extra 1,000 people on the grass hills behind both end zones.

Henderson scored with a minute and a half left, to go up 21-17. Then Ouachita scored with 30 seconds left, to win 24-21. The quality of play was very good, with the exception of a few dropped passes by the Ouachita receivers.

Very few people outside of Arkansas would care about this game. But for the players, students, alums, and administrations, it meant everything. People had fun. For one day, it was refreshing to see college football as it was meant to be.

I’m not suggesting this game has any relevance to UConn. I’m just providing you with my college football experience this weekend.
Similar experience at the Robert Morris at Central game yesterday (except it wasn’t 55 degrees!) Music and tailgating filled the parking lot. Great raucous crowd. Parking $0, tickets $8. Had a blast. There is life outside of FBS.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score

Meanwhile, across campus at Henderson State...... Chemistry professors accused of running ‘Breaking Bad’-style meth lab

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Traveling for work a few years ago my company had a facility in Pittsburg, Kansas. Ended up attending a Pittsburg State vs Missouri Southern State game. the place was filled. It was a great time. Found out Pittsburg State has a rich football tradition in DII. They use to play a game in Arrowhead every year. I go to a game at Coast Guard every year, its a great place to watch a game!

View attachment 48178

My parents went to Pittsburg State. The Gorillas were a powerhouse program in D2, have four national championships and are the leader in all time wins. Chuck Broyles was a legendary coach. In a fun UConn note, their stadium is known as “The Jungle”. No plans to call it “North”.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

This post makes me sad. It's not a good thing to have to the BY wax poetic about DII.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
This post makes me sad. It's not a good thing to have to the BY wax poetic about DII.
Yes, we love and support UConn. But this is a football forum. I like hearing others’ college football experiences.

I’ve seen college football all over the U.S, except for the West Coast. If someone were to post their West Coast game day experience here, it I’d love it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes, we love and support UConn. But this is a football forum. I like hearing others’ college football experiences.

I’ve seen college football all over the U.S, except for the West Coast. If someone were to post their West Coast game day experience here, it I’d love it.
It wasn't a serious criticism of your post. Just giving vent to my general concern about the viability of the program at the FBS level.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Pristine fall day! Says so right in the official box score of the game.

5600 or so in a AA baseball stadium.

1574012856400.png

Reaction Score
I think there was 45k+ at Met life yesterday for Cortica - Cortland vs Ithaca

Some dope compared that one game to the average attendance for all the P5 and G5 games. Of course he somehow omitted that for every other game its 4-5k maybe in D3.

Reaction Score

Actually D2 and D3 games can be more fun. Without the little man with the red armband interrupting the flow of the game, games are actually played at a faster pace Rather than the marathon D1 has become.

Reaction Score

Best place on the West Coast for me was at U of Washington, Seattle. The Stadium over looks a lake? Tailgating on boats! Maybe the best setting in college football. (Michie is up there too.)

1574084892818.png

It's been upgraded since this photo was taken.

The best part of going to any of these places is that you can just go without any emotional ties to the outcomes. Granted you don't get the highs and lows if your team is not participating but its always seems an enjoyable experience. Humboldt State in the Redwoods area was pretty good.

Reaction Score
Best place on the West Coast for me was at U of Washington, Seattle. The Stadium over looks a lake? Tailgating on boats! Maybe the best setting in college football. (Michie is up there too.)

View attachment 48216
It's been upgraded since this photo was taken.

The best part of going to any of these places is that you can just go without any emotional ties to the outcomes. Granted you don't get the highs and lows if your team is not participating but its always seems an enjoyable experience. Humboldt State in the Redwoods area was pretty good.
Wouldn't mind seeing a game there at all.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Wish I had more downvotes for the OP. D2 football for a major state university is embarrassing. Even moreso than 2-10.

Edit: i missed the part about this having no relevance to UConn. Yes, fun can be had at the lower levels, but I don't think that is the path the Huskies should take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom