There hasn't been a single thread about B12 divisions yet | Page 2 | The Boneyard

There hasn't been a single thread about B12 divisions yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I believe part of dereg that passed was that the conferences could determine their top two teams any way.

I believe this is correct so having a weak north isn't an issue and placates Texas and Oklahoma allowing them to not have to play who they would rather not play quite as often.

Reaction Score
This is also the case in the B1G and ACC (which somewhat arbitrarily made its divisions without regard for geographic location). As someone previously mentioned, it ensures that your strongest programs play each other every year (can you imagine if Clemson or Florida State didn't play the other in any given year?) and also positions the team from the stronger division to be catapulted into the CFP.
Yep, see the point. I thought having Miami and Va Tech was suppose to provide some balance. I don't think they thought Miami would fall down as they did coming off of their last four years in the BE. Definitely see it with the B1G and not with the PAC-12.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I believe this is correct so having a weak north isn't an issue and placates Texas and Oklahoma allowing them to not have to play who they would rather not play quite as often.

Okay good. Otherwise, I could have seen that as a (minor) expansion obstacle. Getting a conference championship game isn't worth so much when it's against a 7-5 Kansas State squad

Reaction Score
The definitive big 12 divisions:

12 / 3 = 4
12 / 4 = 3
12 / 6 = 2
12 /2 = 6
12 / 1 = 12
12 / 12 = 1

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Talk about putting the horse behind the carriage. I for one am just trying to suppress all emotion to be as numb as possible on the day the B12 finally announces its intentions.

Reaction Score
Right, but the alternative is either add different teams and make less money or they could go with a zipper format and require inter-division rivalry games whereby forcing Texas to play in undesirable locations long term- like Morgantown, Ames and Lawrence. I don't think people are giving enough credence to the idea that if Texas is going to give up the monopoly on the LHN and OK expansion that they're going to want to be repaid in other ways. Allowing them to play where they want is one such way.

Anyway, it could be done something like:

UConn Cincy
Oklahoma Texas
Kansas Kansas St.
Baylor TCU
WVU Iowa St.
OSU Texas Tech

The yearly inter-division rivalry game would be against the team listed across.
WVU vs. Iowa State as a rivalry game. Woof.

Just as likely we're stuck in that turd of a rivalry.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

WVU and Cincy makes more sense, but then we're kinda just stuck diddling ourselves in the corner. Or playing a rivalry game with Iowa State...that makes me think that the Civil Conflict ain't so bad after all

Reaction Score
Talk about putting the horse behind the carriage. I for one am just trying to suppress all emotion to be as numb as possible on the day the B12 finally announces its intentions.
Same

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
As long as Kansas is in the league we ain't the cupcake.
Unfortunately whenever Conference Realignment comes up, we will be lectured by Kansas fans about how awful our football program is and that if we want a seat at the big boys table we will need to improve that. The pain of listening to that from KU, Wake, NC State, ISU, schools that haven't done s*** in football in their entire history is just plain painful.

MattMang23

Reaction Score

True. I'm sure WVU would be given choice of rival over us and would grab Cincy leaving us with Iowa State. I really don't care. I'd play the University of Manitoba if it meant 30M/year.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Scratch that. I'd play the University of Yukon. Imagine the marketing possibilities. UConn vs Yukon. The creative BCU people would love it since they refer to us as Yukon already.

Reaction Score

At this point, I'd take either. We have history with both: the Mounties as conference mates, & ISU fans still haven't forgiven UCONN for their mascot being injured at the RENT. I'd take either as a condition of getting out of LIMBO.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately whenever Conference Realignment comes up, we will be lectured by Kansas fans about how awful our football program is and that if we want a seat at the big boys table we will need to improve that. The pain of listening to that from KU, Wake, NC State, ISU, schools that haven't done s*** in football in their entire history is just plain painful.

Perception is a function of vantage point. Wake is a competitor in the Tobacco Road rivalry among the four North Carolina teams...Wake swept its Tobacco Road rivals in 2006 & 2007. And won the conference in 2006 with an 11-3 record.

How can you not love a team who had a coach named Peahead Walker or players like Digit Laughride

Reaction Score
The numeric equivalents play annual game, plus two more versus the other division.

1 UConn
2 Iowa State
3 Kansas State
4 Baylor
5 Texas
6 Texas Tech

1 West Virginia
2 Cincy
3 Kansas
4 TCU
5 Oklahoma
6 Oklahoma State

This kind of layout seems most likely to me.
If expansion is about TV sets, then the divisions will also be about TV sets. With this kind of lineup you can have either TX or OK come to CT every year to help boost the carriage fees in NYC.

Reaction Score
They could do this as well
Baylor
TCU
Kansas
Kansas St
Cincy
WVU

Texas
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
OKlahoma St
Iowa St
UConn

This gives Texas/OU the Red River War game every year, gives OU, UT NYC exposure, allows for them to get a top team in Championship game, gives WVU a travel partner

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If I had to rank the schools 1-12 in football off last year, it would be:

1) Oklahoma
2) TCU
3) Baylor
4) Oklahoma State
5) West Virginia
6) Texas Tech
7) Texas
8) Cincinnati
9) Kansas State
10) UConn
11) Iowa State
12) Kansas

Reaction Score
In terms of travel/geography
UConn, ISU, Kansas, KState, Cincy, WVU

OU, OSU, UT, TT, Baylor, TCU

Reaction Score
If I weren't 50, I would do the thing with all the mascot pics, 6+6, based on proposed division. How can we go three pages and not have that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom