There hasn't been a single thread about B12 divisions yet | The Boneyard

There hasn't been a single thread about B12 divisions yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To me it all comes down to the Big 12 Network. If that really is happening, and that is what is motivating expansion, I'm very confident we are in. If the network is not real, than I am very skeptical.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Figures they'd divide right after we get in.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I'll play--assuming there actually is expansion, it will go to 14. Here is my prediction

B12 North/ East/ Atlantic...whatever.
Kansas
K-State
West Virginia
UConn
Cincy
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

South--

Baylor
Iowa State
Tex Tech
TCU
Texas
Houston
BYU
6 div games, 3 cross overs 1 permanent each yr. OU vs Texas as example.
CCG played at Cowboys Stadium

Reaction Score
anigif_enhanced-buzz-32022-1368480417-0.gif

Reaction Score
If going with 12 I see:

North

UConn
Cincy
W. Virginia
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State

South

Texas
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.

Play everyone in your division in football, plus 4/6 teams in the other division, rotating between home and away

No divisions for BBall.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I dunno - I guess something like this:

North

UConn
WVU
UC
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State

South
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Baylor
Texas
TCU
Texas Tech

Sure would look a lot better if in the long run if two of these are added BYU/Memphis/UCF/USF. And obviously its real good if Clemson and FSU are added.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This exercise illustrates the need to get to 14 in the long run. They need more major markets than what two more schools bring. They need four major market add-ons. Two step is the way to go, add two now and then wait on the ACC.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Some teams can not and will not break up unless guaranteed an inter-division game each year. Those would be Texas/OK, Texas/TTU, OK/OKSU, KU/KSU. Assuming guaranteed inter-division games is a non-starter, you'd have to keep those schools in the same division in order to maintain happiness. I'd imagine Texas would want to have first crack at placing themselves into a favorable division as concession for giving up the monopoly on the LHN. And I would assume favorable to Texas would mean play teams closer to home and shed the excess fat currently on their schedule: Iowa State, Kansas, etc.

Assuming the adds are UConn and Cincy, I am inclined to guess the following alignment:

UConn
Cincy
West Virginia
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State

Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
UConn
Cincy
West Virginia
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State

Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
This is logical due to what you said about teams not wanting to separate. However, The North or whatever they call it is so weak. the Big 12 would run the risk that their Playoff bound team could get knocked out by in the CCG by a weaker opponent. That would be counter productive to making this proposed expansion.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They are not going to put all the good football schools in the same division

Unless Baylor, Tech, TCU and Okie Lite complain enough about losing their annual games with Texas and Oklahoma. TCU would rather be guaranteed a home game against Texas or Oklahoma every year than be in a weaker division that they could win.

Texas and Oklahoma are the ones that might object though. Why would they want to play murderer's row while Kansas State or WVU could coast to the Big 12 title game?

Reaction Score
You would break the basketball league into the north -- south split that everyone has projected. Play your division home and home and the other division once for a 16 game schedule. Obvously, it can be made to 18 if that is desired by playing 2 teams in the other division home and home.

Football geography doesn't really matter, so you are going to split into two relatively even divisions. Oklahoma and Texas will be in different divisions, and they get to decide whether they want to play each other every year or just on a rotational basis.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is logical due to what you said about teams not wanting to separate. However, The North or whatever they call it is so weak. the Big 12 would run the risk that their Playoff bound team could get knocked out by in the CCG by a weaker opponent. That would be counter productive to making this proposed expansion.

More balanced approach:

D1 / D2
Texas / Oklahoma
TCU / WVU
Ok St / Baylor
TT / Cincy
Kansas / Kansas State
Iowa St / Connecticut

Yes, we are the cupcake.

Reaction Score
The Relevant Division:
Texas
Oklahoma
UConn
West Virginia
Kansas
Baylor

The Irrelevant Division:
TCU
Texas Tech
Iowa State
Cincinnati
Oklahoma State
Kansas State

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Right, but the alternative is either add different teams and make less money or they could go with a zipper format and require inter-division rivalry games whereby forcing Texas to play in undesirable locations long term- like Morgantown, Ames and Lawrence. I don't think people are giving enough credence to the idea that if Texas is going to give up the monopoly on the LHN and OK expansion that they're going to want to be repaid in other ways. Allowing them to play where they want is one such way.

Anyway, it could be done something like:

UConn Cincy
Oklahoma Texas
Kansas Kansas St.
Baylor TCU
WVU Iowa St.
OSU Texas Tech

The yearly inter-division rivalry game would be against the team listed across.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It's weak for football, and dominant in basketball. It is the logical approach geographically, and WVU would love it, as the favorite to win the division in football most years. When K State was kicking butt in football it might have worked, but OSU has passed them.

Reaction Score
Matt's lineup is pretty close, IMO.

OU and Texas have to be in the same division. You can't have them playing each other in the regular season (as a crossover game), than possibly again in the championship game.

Besides, having the winner of the strong division play the winner of the weaker division is EXACTLY what you would want. You have to give your best team the best chance of moving on to the CFB playoff. If the stronger team loses, that's on them.

Reaction Score

OU and Texas have to be in the same division. You can't have them playing each other in the regular season (as a crossover game), than possibly again in the championship game.

Besides, having the winner of the strong division play the winner of the weaker division is EXACTLY what you would want. You have to give your best team the best chance of moving on to the CFB playoff. If the stronger team loses, that's on them.
You've been listening to Lou Saban & Les Miles complain for too long.;)

Reaction Score

If that's your only loss then OOC results could still get you a spot. They would certainly want a weaker opponent for the CCG.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Here's my question--if you go to divisions, does it have to be the case that the winner of each division face off in the conference championship game? The Big XII North would presumably look something like UConn, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State, and I just can't imagine how that would work for football. In any given year there could be three or four Big XII South teams who wouldn't make it to the conference championship game despite being a stronger team than the best team in the north. Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor and TCU would all be better than the best team the north had to offer (maybe WVU or even Cincinnati???). If the conference championship game can be between the two highest ranking teams regardless of division, then great. Otherwise, it's going to be a weird set up for football.

Reaction Score
Here's my question--if you go to divisions, does it have to be the case that the winner of each division face off in the conference championship game? The Big XII North would presumably look something like UConn, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State, and I just can't imagine how that would work for football. In any given year there could be three or four Big XII South teams who wouldn't make it to the conference championship game despite being a stronger team than the best team in the north. Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor and TCU would all be better than the best team the north had to offer (maybe WVU or even Cincinnati???). If the conference championship game can be between the two highest ranking teams regardless of division, then great. Otherwise, it's going to be a weird set up for football.

This is also the case in the B1G and ACC (which somewhat arbitrarily made its divisions without regard for geographic location). As someone previously mentioned, it ensures that your strongest programs play each other every year (can you imagine if Clemson or Florida State didn't play the other in any given year?) and also positions the team from the stronger division to be catapulted into the CFP.

Reaction Score
I believe part of dereg that passed was that the conferences could determine their top two teams any way.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The numeric equivalents play annual game, plus two more versus the other division.

1 UConn
2 Iowa State
3 Kansas State
4 Baylor
5 Texas
6 Texas Tech

1 West Virginia
2 Cincy
3 Kansas
4 TCU
5 Oklahoma
6 Oklahoma State