There comes a point where you need to say "It's just not working" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

There comes a point where you need to say "It's just not working"

Reaction Score
If it helps any, UConn basketball in its low point is still a lot better than Pitt's current basketball program.

Reaction Score
Mick Cronin = Cincinnati coach 12 years. Assisant coach 10 years before that.
Cronin 1st 4 years:
11-19
13-19
18-14
19-16
No Final 4's, no titles

SMU
Brought back by one of the greatest Hoops minds of all time. larry brown. Lets see if it sustains.

Greg Marshall = Witchita State 10 years. Before that 8 years Head Coach at Winthrop. Before that 10 years assistant
1st 4 years at WSU (in MVC)
11-20
17-17
25-10
29-8

1 Final four

Kevin Ollie = Connecticut. 5 years head Coach. 2 years Assistant
first 4 years
20-10
32-8
20-15
25-11

1 Final 4. 1 National Title.

So I want to see all you mouth breathers here stop making SMU,WSU and Cincinatti comparisons.

They wouldnt have ANY success if you had your way. You wouldve already fired Cronin and Marshall
What point are you making with these stats. In every case the records improve every year, except for 1 of the coaches above. And I could be wrong but you decided to leave off last year's record for same coach. Why might that be?

Face it, Ollie's trend isn't headed in right direction. It's not personal, it's simple facts. The team as he constructed it isn't competitive and certainly isn't playing up to it's ability.

There should have been a drop-off after Calhoun. We're seeing it. If some think that's the conference, so be it. I think you're wrong as evidenced by SMU with a HOF coach, Cincy's consistency with a crazy but effective coach, and even WSU coming from an even lessor funded league has soared.
They've proven you can win in this league with the right mix of players and coaching. Right now UConn is missing that.
Simply put, Ollie is not there yet. Each season I am convinced he's headed in the wrong direction. Getting another Calhoun is almost impossible. Getting another Tubby Smith is more likely.

Prove me wrong KO. Please.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What point are you making with these stats. In every case the records improve every year, except for 1. And I could be wrong but you decided to leave off last year's. Why might that be?

And the last time we beat a ranked team was? I honestly think it was in March of 2015.

Reaction Score
But seriously how many different threads do we need that all say the same thing?

To be fair, my original post simply requested people to share what they see in the program to suggest it's headed in the right direction.

The fact no one has offered anything is telling

Reaction Score
To be fair, my original post simply requested people to share what they see in the program to suggest it's headed in the right direction.

The fact no one has offered anything is telling

Winning percentage
16-17 - 48%
17-18 - 66%

There. Happy?

Reaction Score
T
Winning percentage
16-17 - 48%
17-18 - 66%

There. Happy?
If you buy that, I'm happy for you. Might you be interested in a bridge that I'm looking to unload? Cheap

Reaction Score
At this point, we would have to settle for a retread coach with some baggage. The program is at a very low point and is not nationally relevant.

Ollie’s poor game plans, poor game management and poor player development have made it this way. Nice guy, but bad coach.

Reaction Score
The conference doesn’t mandate that they don’t run offensive sets or tell them to lose track of their men on screens. This is a poorly coached basketball team.

Every team we play seems to understand assignments and and how to play within a system except uconn.

Reaction Score
Kenpom has UConn favored in only 8 of the remaining 22 games. Ollie is going to have to find a way to coach these guys up or we’re looking at an even worse season than last year.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
At this point, we would have to settle for a retread coach with some baggage. The program is at a very low point and is not nationally relevant.

Ollie’s poor game plans, poor game management and poor player development have made it this way. Nice guy, but bad coach.
I'm not even sure i'd give him nice guy. I don't know him personally. Does anyone on this board?

Reaction Score
Ollie will not find a way to coach these guys up.

If uconn is to make the tournament this year, one or two players will have to just go crazy over a series of games.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Kenpom has UConn favored in only 8 of the remaining 22 games. Ollie is going to have to find a way to coach these guys up or we’re looking at an even worse season than last year.
15 wins looks like a stretch.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
15 wins looks like a stretch.
If we somehow win more games now, don't the projections change as we go along? It's just a snapshot of how we have performed so far as well as how our opponents have done. Of course, it seems somewhat accurate considering how we have struggled with low majors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom