There Are Seven Key Questions In The Kevin Ollie-UConn Dispute Now That The NCAA Has Weighed In (Amore) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

There Are Seven Key Questions In The Kevin Ollie-UConn Dispute Now That The NCAA Has Weighed In (Amore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is there anyone who actually thought he should be in exile forever. He just needs to accept the arbitration result, whatever it may be, and walk away. The sooner the current drama ends the sooner the reconciliation can begin.

Reaction Score
Is there anyone who actually thought he should be in exile forever. He just needs to accept the arbitration result, whatever it may be, and walk away. The sooner the current drama ends the sooner the reconciliation can begin.

I don't even really care that he cheated. It's all the other stuff that grind my gears.

Reaction Score
I don't even really care that he cheated. It's all the other stuff that grind my gears.
Im just really disappointed in him overall. From the cheating to as you said "the other stuff". The way he came out the gate i thought he was going to be a big time coach on the college level for atleast the next decade and it fell apart by his own doing. Very, very disappointing. Lets hope DH can deliver on what seemed like a bright future post Calhoun that got pretty dark rather quickly.

Reaction Score
Most of the rules he broke were ticky tacky. Yep, they're still rules. But...

The biggest thing for me is losing to Wagner. That was a scandal.

CL82

Reaction Score

Mmm, some of them were, some were fairly significant. Lack of candor to the NCAA is probably his biggest problem right now.

Reaction Score
Im just really disappointed in him overall. From the cheating to as you said "the other stuff". The way he came out the gate i thought he was going to be a big time coach on the college level for atleast the next decade and it fell apart by his own doing. Very, very disappointing. Lets hope Dan Hurley can deliver on what seemed like a bright future post Calhoun that got pretty dark rather quickly.

Yup. A "lunchpail" guy who got lazy and showed zero pride in his craft. Completely opposite to the Kevin Ollie who toiled under 10-day contracts in the NBA and had to prove it every day for 15 years.

People cite the divorce, but I disagree. I think it has more to do with, for the first time, being handed a job he never earned. After some initial success, he felt entitled and thought he could coast.

Fortunately, Hurley has had to earn it, and has proven his credentials over 2 decades of coaching at multiple levels.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I mean, one of those violations landed another program on 5 years probation, so they're definitely not all it's not ticky tacky.

Hi problem was sloppiness, born by a bit of laziness, and then trying to BS his way through it. After our previous problems, that's a non starter.

Reaction Score
So just wondering how this will play out now that a California judge has ruled the NCAA show cause rule is unconstitutional.

Reaction Score
Yup. A "lunchpail" guy who got lazy and showed zero pride in his craft. Completely opposite to the Kevin Ollie who toiled under 10-day contracts in the NBA and had to prove it every day for 15 years.

People cite the divorce, but I disagree. I think it has more to do with, for the first time, being handed a job he never earned. After some initial success, he felt entitled and thought he could coast.

Fortunately, Hurley has had to earn it, and has proven his credentials over 2 decades of coaching at multiple levels.

Ollie spent his entire playing career working his tail off to earn and maintain roster spots in the NBA. As a player he was self-driven and had an internal desire to succeed. I get the feeling that he expected all his players to be similarly self-driven. This was fine when he had Napier, Boatright, Giffey et. al, who possessed those traits. However, when his subsequent recruits lacked some of the drive and determination to succeed, Ollie did not know how to "coach" that into the players. He treated 18-21 year old college players like they were NBA players and that simply does not work.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So just wondering how this will play out now that a California judge has ruled the NCAA show cause rule is unconstitutional.
Limited to California. Would love an explanation why it’s limited to California. Seems to have significant impact on California schools and their affiliation with the NCAA and their respective conferences.

Reaction Score
I get that part, but sure Ollie's legal team is looking at that also. Once a legal precedent is out there, someone is going to try to use it to their advantage.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I get that part, but sure Ollie's legal team is looking at that also. Once a legal precedent, is out there, someone is going to try to use it to there advantage.

Great. KO can go coach Cal State - Long Beach like he should have been doing from the beginning.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I get that part, but sure Ollie's legal team is looking at that also. Once a legal precedent, is out there, someone is going to try to use it to there advantage.
We have no way of knowing if any person facing "Just Cause" who was employed in a University other than California has state statutes that protects them from this NCAA punishment. You can be certain KO's lawyers are checking Connecticut statutes.

The way conferences such as the PAC are scrambling to handle this verdict implies that it's unique to California and puts those universities at risk to be bumped from the NCAA. This can go several ways. The NCAA modifies it's "Just Cause" statute to be in compliance with California law, California Universities are bounced from the NCAA and conferences (not going to happen) or this is the beginning of the end of the NCAA, something that would seem unlikely unless you factor in the current FBI scandal that implicates several major sports universities.

Reaction Score
This whole thing is still suspect. Now the timing of the NCAA "allegations." Waaay too suspect. Like I said before, don't destroy a man's good name and character because you don't want to pay him. With this whole NCAA thing, you are trying to discredit him in the public eye. Thinking that your case supposedly has some level of "legitimacy" behind it. Man, come on now.

The dude shot some baskets with a a recruit during an official visit? Really not a big deal but I understand it is not allowed. Silly rule but I get it. But really? This is what we are going with. Or how about him setting up some phone calls with Ray Allen. Definitely not allowed but definitely not something you try to destroy the man's good name over. The whole off season workouts. Not on my list of deadly college basketball sins. But definitely not something to destroy the man's name over and justify the firing of Coach KO. The administration would have just been better off saying that they let coach go because he was losing, which he was and that would have been fine. But all of this NCAA stuff and how coach KO has ruined the program to the point of no return. Man we are better than this.

Reaction Score
We have no way of knowing if any person facing "Just Cause" who was employed in a University other than California has state statutes that protects them from this NCAA punishment. You can be certain KO's lawyers are checking Connecticut statutes.

The way conferences such as the PAC are scrambling to handle this verdict implies that it's unique to California and puts those universities at risk to be bumped from the NCAA. This can go several ways. The NCAA modifies it's "Just Cause" statute to be in compliance with California law, California Universities are bounced from the NCAA and conferences (not going to happen) or this is the beginning of the end of the NCAA, something that would seem unlikely unless you factor in the current FBI scandal that implicates several major sports universities.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
This whole thing is still suspect. Now the timing of the NCAA "allegations." Waaay too suspect. Like I said before, don't destroy a man's good name and character because you don't want to pay him. With this whole NCAA thing, you are trying to discredit him in the public eye. Thinking that your case supposedly has some level of "legitimacy" behind it. Man, come on now.

The dude shot some baskets with a a recruit during an official visit? Really not a big deal but I understand it is not allowed. Silly rule but I get it. But really? This is what we are going with. Or how about him setting up some phone calls with Ray Allen. Definitely not allowed but definitely not something you try to destroy the man's good name over. The whole off season workouts. Not on my list of deadly college basketball sins. But definitely not something to destroy the man's name over and justify the firing of Coach KO. The administration would have just been better off saying that they let coach go because he was losing, which he was and that would have been fine. But all of this NCAA stuff and how coach KO has ruined the program to the point of no return. Man we are better than this.
He violated his contract, plain and simple. The university owes him nothing and it's his own fault is name is being dragged through the mud. His minor violations aren't what is getting him trouble and "ruining his good name" as you say. It's the fact he committed said violations and THEN LIED TO THE NCAA.

CL82

Reaction Score

It's been talked about ad nauseum, but the only reason why this is constant media fodder is because KO's representation thought it was a tactical advantage to him so they facilitated it. They were 100% wrong on that.

Providing food and out state lodging and travel is a big deal and is the reason that KO facing a show cause order (well that and lying about it) not any bizarre imagined conspiracy theory that imagines the NCAA and UConn working together to hurt Ollie.

Let it go. The horse isn't getting back up.
1539194290656.png

Reaction Score

Holy crap, man! What is the color of the sky in YOUR world?!?!?!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If you ignore the serious infractions, all the infractions are minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom