There’s something different about our Team this year… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

There’s something different about our Team this year…

Reaction Score
FAU is going to be tough. They gave Michigan State all they could handle, losing by only 6. Michigan State then went and beat the Maryland team that mopped the floor with us 27-24.

In my mind, FAU should be favored. They’ve got an FBS win already, beating FIU by 18. A close loss to a B1G team and a respectable loss to a pretty good Army team. If we beat them comfortably I’ll be both surprised and very encouraged. This is a great test and I think it’s a toss up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was texting a friend of mine - Texas fan - about our team. Are we a few skill position players short to make serious run? Yes. But I told him - and posting here - we look different this year.

What’s so different?

It’s our Offensive and Defensive lines. We look like we can play with anyone in the country. We don’t get shoved all over the field. We don’t melt in the 2nd half of the game. In fact, we sometimes get stronger. Do we make mistakes? Do we have let downs? Heck ya.

But we don’t do is wither as the game goes on.

If I was a skill player coming to UConn… The line play would be a key criteria. This will be good for recruiting.

If the lines keep this level of play up, the ceiling has been elevated.

All that being said, we‘ll see what happens tomorrow - big test.
You don’t make much sense. I think we lost to Maryland by over 40 points! I do think we are improving. Tomorrow game is a MUST win for us.

Reaction Score
Through 3 games and I still don’t know how I feel about this team. First two games didn’t tell me much besides that Bell has the potential to be the best WR we had in the last 10-15 years, Duke played him as such. His presence has opened up our offense. Cam Edwards is the perfect every down back with great support from Robinson and Brown. We need Rosa to come back healthy after tomorrow’s game. We need Evers to become a game manager, we have too many weapons to rely on Evers skills to win us games. Evers needs to be a competent game manager, which he can develop with more reps.

We saw improvement in our overall defense. Tomorrow will give us better insight on what type of team that we have.

Through 3 games, I am hopeful. I will gladly watch tomorrow’s game and overreact after every play and moan after each gadget play. I may turn off of the game chat if it becomes to negative. It’s a good thing that we don’t know what we truly have, because we have talent, we have solid coaching, we just need to put everything together and play a complete game. I believe we will show out tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As soon as we have a QB that is a pocket passer first that can deliver the ball in windows, we will be able to compete for Ws. Roll out plays are designed to trade half the field in exchange for beating excessive rush pressure when out manned. The problem is that gives super fast cover guys even more leverage, and backers great angles of attack. Our OC really is learning on the job which is no bueno.
A pocket passer is fine and dandy, but we have 3 dependable runners (or even 4 if you include Evers) on offense, and we try to establish the run game. All that being said, has Sammis ever heard of the play action pass?

Reaction Score
You don’t make much sense. I think we lost to Maryland by over 40 points! I do think we are improving. Tomorrow game is a MUST win for us.
Umm you must of only read one post in this thread… My advice read more :)

Reaction Score
I do believe the D was definitely popping people in a way we haven’t seen in a while. Stanford had a couple of pick up and slam tackles. Backers were hitting.
Yes, they were legally :) administering some tough hits.

It is the physical play at the lines that I haven’t seen in awhile. Duke had some 3 and outs - and for the first time in awhile, I was thinking - yes we can stand up and make a stand.

We‘ll see what tonight brings but I’m encouraged…

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
*except Maryland, evidently
I feel like if we got another shot at that game, say towards the end of the season, we would look decidedly better. I'm not saying we'd win though.

Reaction Score
FAU is going to be tough. They gave Michigan State all they could handle, losing by only 6. Michigan State then went and beat the Maryland team that mopped the floor with us 27-24.

In my mind, FAU should be favored. They’ve got an FBS win already, beating FIU by 18. A close loss to a B1G team and a respectable loss to a pretty good Army team. If we beat them comfortably I’ll be both surprised and very encouraged. This is a great test and I think it’s a toss up.
MD beat UConn by 43
MD lost to MSU by 3 so MSU = +46 over UConn
MSU beat FIU by 6 so FIU is 40 points better than UConn

There it is Transitive Theory at its finest.

We are DOOMED!

Reaction Score
I feel like if we got another shot at that game, say towards the end of the season, we would look decidedly better. I'm not saying we'd win though.
Maryland, I am for the time being, chalking up to nerves on the road and the first time playing together. Goes into category of a mulligan for now.

Reaction Score
MD beat UConn by 43
MD lost to MSU by 3 so MSU = +46 over UConn
MSU beat FIU by 6 so FIU is 40 points better than UConn

There it is Transitive Theory at its finest.

We are DOOMED!
Haha switcheroo, we got FAU instead of FIU!! Go Dogs!

Reaction Score
The biggest differences.

The QB play has been competent (after the first game).
The defense (after the first game) is tackling better.

Reaction Score
What I saw that's different about this team vs. other UConn teams in recent years:

• UConn football has made significant strides this season, thanks largely to improved offensive line play and a rejuvenated running game. Edward, Robinson, Brown, and Rosa have formed a formidable backfield, while Evers, despite occasional fumbles, remains a valuable asset.
  • The receiving corps has shown flashes of brilliance, and although the quarterback still needs to refine his passing accuracy, his ability to extend plays with his legs is a major asset.
  • Defensively, UConn has undergone a dramatic transformation. The new 3-3-5 scheme, coupled with increased blitzing and a deep rotation of players, has led to a much more aggressive and effective defense. Improved tackling has also been a key factor in the team's recent success.
  • While the quarterback still has room to grow and eliminate careless mistakes, his overall development and the team's overall progress have been encouraging. UConn football is clearly on the right track.

It is fun watching UConn football again.

Reaction Score
What I saw that's different about this team vs. other UConn teams in recent years:

• UConn football has made significant strides this season, thanks largely to improved offensive line play and a rejuvenated running game. Edward, Robinson, Brown, and Rosa have formed a formidable backfield, while Evers, despite occasional fumbles, remains a valuable asset.
  • The receiving corps has shown flashes of brilliance, and although the quarterback still needs to refine his passing accuracy, his ability to extend plays with his legs is a major asset.
  • Defensively, UConn has undergone a dramatic transformation. The new 3-3-5 scheme, coupled with increased blitzing and a deep rotation of players, has led to a much more aggressive and effective defense. Improved tackling has also been a key factor in the team's recent success.
  • While the quarterback still has room to grow and eliminate careless mistakes, his overall development and the team's overall progress have been encouraging. UConn football is clearly on the right track.

It is fun watching UConn football again.

Why do people think the OL is improved? Last year we had a better offensive line. Same tackles much better guards. We lost two RBs to the portal by the 4th week. The running back room is what has improved. Also the QB and receivers make it harder to load the box against us.

Reaction Score
In 2022, even though the end results were (largely) ok, there was still a feeling of helplessness when the offense was on the field. When the team got behind in a game, especially by multiple scores you knew it was over (see the Myrtle Beach Bowl). This year the offense looks to be capable of scoring, that in and of itself is enough to lend some hope; the fact that they opened the year with 111 points in the first two games, there have been seasons where 100 points weren't scored at home (123 points was the total home output last year, 133 in the 2022 bowl run; 101 in 2021); and the defense looks like it should be able to hang with anyone left on the schedule. In short, UConn looks like a credible G5 team right now.

Reaction Score
Why do people think the OL is improved? Last year we had a better offensive line. Same tackles much better guards. We lost two RBs to the portal by the 4th week. The running back room is what has improved. Also the QB and receivers make it harder to load the box against us.
The center is better and the tackles are fully grown men now. I agree with your overall sentiment though. The OL wasn’t the problem last year. However, do think this year, as they jell even more, watch out. Even Herman said that he told his team Tuesday that this is the best OL his team will face all year.

Reaction Score
Maryland, I am for the time being, chalking up to nerves on the road and the first time playing together. Goes into category of a mulligan for now.
That is sort of my opinion, too. We played a team that was better than us, on the road in our opener. If we played Maryland next week we’d probably still lose. They have better players, but it would be much more competitive. We were not quite ready for prime time. Much better to open at home with Merrimack then go to Maryland than the other way around.

Reaction Score
Another big difference is that the LBs are playing much better than last few years.
I don't know how you can say they are playing better than the 2022 group as of yet. Brown seems to have picked it up.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Listen, it's an accomplishment to beat up on non-competitive teams as it's not something that's been all that regular an occurrence in recent years and we still have plenty of them on our schedule to rack up some wins, which is really all that matters. I have no idea how good Duke is but they were a decent benchmark in terms of talent.

The arrow up moment this week was the recognition of what works for us by the coaching staff and the continued improvement in tackling. If we can run and the other team isn't good at passing the ball we should do well. Buffalo just beat a haphazardly ranked team, go beat them and take another step forward.

In fact, win at least 4 of these next 5 home games, secure a bowl bid in October (plus or minus a day). Then take your shot at a winning season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom