Theme of the game. Vanilla | The Boneyard

Theme of the game. Vanilla

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think we'll be vanilla most of the year, barring a QB change. Which isn't the worst thing as I think the OL can deliver a running game that will both score and eat clock... as long a Charlton uses it correctly.

I was surprised by the number of sweeps that played into NC State's D. I was horrified at the short passes at end of game which gained less than runs would have.

Reaction Score
I think we'll be vanilla most of the year, barring a QB change. Which isn't the worst thing as I think the OL can deliver a running game that will both score and eat clock... as long a Charlton uses it correctly.

I was surprised by the number of sweeps that played into NC State's D. I was horrified at the short passes at end of game which gained less than runs would have.
The four yard passes when we needed two scores were terrible

Reaction Score
Play action to Rosa while Cam Ross runs a block and go route. Or play action to Rosa and pass to the tight end. They really sniffed out our runs to Rosa except for one. This game was winnable with the D holding a good QB and team to 24.

Reaction Score
I was extremely disappointed with the playcalling. Reallly was expecting a ton more from this offense this year. I hate the whole “hot seat” thing but I’m putting Charlton on it if the next game is as bland and horrible on offense as this one was.

Reaction Score
Charlton and Fagnano layed an egg tonight. They were below acceptable playing against a team that was able to control the game on the back of their QB who happened to be the best player on the field all night. While nobody gave up and the defense was overzealous at times, he managed to use it against them to slip tackles. The glaring difference between the 2 teams was at QB tonight. There's really no other way to see it.

And the refs should get half pay for only reffing one team. That last abomination in the corner right in front of us was just ignored. It was 10x worse than the PI that saved their drive but I guess they just wanted to finish us off and go home. Where do we get these zombies?

Reaction Score
Charlton and Fagnano layed an egg tonight. They were below acceptable playing against a team that was able to control the game on the back of their QB who happened to be the best player on the field all night. While nobody gave up and the defense was overzealous at times, he managed to use it against them to slip tackles. The glaring difference between the 2 teams was at QB tonight. There's really no other way to see it.

And the refs should get half pay for only reffing one team. That last abomination in the corner right in front of us was just ignored. It was 10x worse than the PI that saved their drive but I guess they just wanted to finish us off and go home. Where do we get these zombies?
Are you talking about the Fagnano throw to the end zone? Our lineman was called for holding which allowed Fagnano to get rid of it. It was a pretty clear hold.

Reaction Score
Only so much you can do with 1 star recruit QBs and a guy who just tore his ACL. It’s the unfortunate truth. Idk how we get around it

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
NCSU was daring us to throw deep, but Fagnano can’t make the deep throw. NCSU’s safeties were only playing about 30 yards off the LOS because they knew they could catch up to any deep pass. When the safeties are only playing 30 yards back and everyone else on defense is underneath, there aren’t going to be a lot of openings for passes. Furthermore, every time Fagnano tries to fire the ball in, he loses all his accuracy, so those small underneath windows get even smaller.

Fagnano’s arm strength is a problem.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
NCSU was daring us to throw deep, but Fagnano can’t make the deep throw. NCSU’s safeties were only playing about 30 yards off the LOS because they knew they could catch up to any deep pass. When the safeties are only playing 30 yards back and everyone else on defense is underneath, there aren’t going to be a lot of openings for passes. Furthermore, every time Fagnano tries to fire the ball in, he loses all his accuracy, so those small underneath windows get even smaller.

At this point, I'm actually more concerned whether he can throw an out pattern. I only recall seeing the one where he overthrew Ross. That's both arm strength and timing. I wasn't impressed with Joe's timing either.

I mentioned in the chat that I was looking for Brewton to catch a couple out of the backfield, regular screen or bubble screen. Brewton and Houston were very effective with those last year. But, if Joe can't throw a decent out, that would also imply that a bubble screen could be an easy pick-6.

Reaction Score

So if the ball is at the 20 and the safeties are at the 50 and everybody else is playing up, you don't think there is openings for passes?

Reaction Score
I keep reading that NC State is good and I didn’t see that. That was a very winnable game if you had a better game plan and realized their QB was running 40% of the time. He’s ok but the Huskies made him look good with awful tackling and shoddy defense.

Disappointing considering we are told the Huskies have 3 good QBs to choose from. Well I can tell you game 1 they chose the wrong one. Not all on him but he didn’t make good decisions or fast enough ones when he needed to get out of pocket. Not a very strong arm either have to hope Roberson is better and gets healthy or could be a long year.

Was a chance to laugh at the ACC for taking a look at SMU and not the Huskies. For now looks like they’re right.

Reaction Score
Did anyone see those missed holding penalties on NC State? They were part of some big plays for them.

Not that it would made a difference..
Spot on, their OL were grabbing all night and were never called.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So if the ball is at the 20 and the safeties are at the 50 and everybody else is playing up, you don't think there is openings for passes?

You are welcome to watch the game film and measure how far back the safeties are if you want. It is possible they weren't even 30 yards back. Everyone was way up in coverage, which was my point. But you knew that already.

Reaction Score
You are welcome to watch the game film and measure how far back the safeties are if you want. It is possible they weren't even 30 yards back. Everyone was way up in coverage, which was my point. But you knew that already.
I was confused by your point; 30 yards is like double what typical sets are. We're good.

Reaction Score
I thought our line did pretty well. Joly and our backs made some nice plays. QB1 had some really nice balls that were just out of reach. I think he’ll connect on as those as the season moves on. He needs a confidence boost. The first drive looked pretty. Crickets until the last drive that led to an interception Head bang

I know it’s not in Mora’s normal cards, but if our QB doesn’t produce first half against Georgia State you need to consider another option…

Still plenty of winnable games left to play.

Reaction Score
I know it’s not in Mora’s normal cards, but if our QB doesn’t produce first half against Georgia State you need to consider another option…

Still plenty of winnable games left to play.
Agree, but, but so many here say Roberson is still injured. What coach in their right mind has an injured player at 2nd on the depth chart? ;)
Would have loved to see the next option last night in the forth quarter. Multiple interceptions thrown but their D only caught the 5th one.

Reaction Score
Agree, but, but so many here say Roberson is still injured. What coach in their right mind has an injured player at 2nd on the depth chart? ;)
Would have loved to see the next option last night in the forth quarter. Multiple interceptions thrown but their D only caught the 5th one.
I can say the same thing about their guy. We had lots of opportunities to pick off a ball when he wasn’t rushing the open pockets. At the end of the day he only threw 1 int.

I’ll give him another half before he gets yanked for Zion or Roberson. I think any of our back up QB’s would do pretty good.

Another thing I don’t understand is why they kept running a sweep. We’d be better off running an option. All our QB’s are pretty quick.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom