The Zen of UConn | The Boneyard

The Zen of UConn

Reaction Score
A nihilist is someone who thinks that life has no meaning. If he/she is a nihilist, the very idea that a women's college basketball team is significant would be laughable. So: are nihilists correct?

There are at least 3 ways of looking at this question. First, is that all living things are biologically wired to reproduce. Even if we choose not to do so and view sex as only recreational, one could argue that reproduction is a purpose (though not necessarily a meaning). Also, we all die. Few if any of us will record in any detail what we have learned in living, so all of that accumulated material is likely to go with us. So far as we know, our awareness of being ceases with the end of life. Bob Hope, when asked by his wife as he neared death where he wanted to be buried, said, “Surprise me.”

Still many of us (perhaps all) have a list of things we enjoy. Eating is probably one, and the relief of a good bowel movement may be another. Or watching wcbb may be on our list. It's on mine.

I have absolutely no reason to be interested in UConn women's bb. Didn't go to school there, came from a different part of the country, couldn't even watch Husky games in real time until the '90s (sadly some of you still can't watch the games). But my dad (RIP) in South Florida got some telecasts of UConn games and was particularly struck with the play of one Rebecca Lobo and her teammates. He admired the skill of these women; he suggested I try to catch one of their games. And somehow I was hooked. Since then I have never missed a Husky game that I was able to watch.

So, even if life is meaningless on a cosmic level and not having children defeats its central purpose, when fall rolls around each year I am antsy for my team (yes, “my” team) to get started. I look forward to the pleasure of joy and pain I experience from my investment. And I will continue to look forward until I run out of forwards.

Welcome 2021; may it be a return to normalcy, to heath, to happiness.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
A nihilist is someone who thinks that life has no meaning. If he/she is a nihilist, the very idea that a women's college basketball team is significant would be laughable. So: are nihilists correct?
Was David Foster Wallace right?

Reaction Score

Heavy slogging there. I remember trying to read "Infinite Jest," but being overwhelmed. Wallace was a long-time depressive, so how that qualifies his thinking is up in the air.

Reaction Score
My favorite author. I've read everything he's written. His suicide made me cry. If you had a hard time with Infinite Jest give "The Pale King " a try. Good luck.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Heavy slogging there. I remember trying to read "Infinite Jest," but being overwhelmed. Wallace was a long-time depressive, so how that qualifies his thinking is up in the air.
I had the same result. I decided the philosophy of a person who committed suicide probably was only useful to a phychologist.

Reaction Score

There are at least 3 ways of looking at this question. First, is that all living things are biologically wired to reproduce. Even if we choose not to do so and view sex as only recreational, one could argue that reproduction is a purpose (though not necessarily a meaning). Also, we all die. Few if any of us will record in any detail what we have learned in living, so all of that accumulated material is likely to go with us. So far as we know, our awareness of being ceases with the end of life. Bob Hope, when asked by his wife as he neared death where he wanted to be buried, said, “Surprise me.”

Still many of us (perhaps all) have a list of things we enjoy. Eating is probably one, and the relief of a good bowel movement may be another. Or watching wcbb may be on our list. It's on mine.

I have absolutely no reason to be interested in UConn women's bb. Didn't go to school there, came from a different part of the country, couldn't even watch Husky games in real time until the '90s (sadly some of you still can't watch the games). But my dad (RIP) in South Florida got some telecasts of UConn games and was particularly struck with the play of one Rebecca Lobo and her teammates. He admired the skill of these women; he suggested I try to catch one of their games. And somehow I was hooked. Since then I have never missed a Husky game that I was able to watch.

So, even if life is meaningless on a cosmic level and not having children defeats its central purpose, when fall rolls around each year I am antsy for my team (yes, “my” team) to get started. I look forward to the pleasure of joy and pain I experience from my investment. And I will continue to look forward until I run out of forwards.

So, are we to conclude that you are not a "nihilist?" Welcome to Lady Huskies basketball. Glad you joined us after watching Rebecca. That was likely true for many of us.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

I agree that the central biological imperative of humanity is reproduction, but as a human being I believe that our dual imperative is in aiding our fellow human beings directly or by making all of our existences better and this world/society a better place.

I believe that sports makes the world a better place. That indeed, the love of human endeavor is the very opposition of nihilism, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
purpose? it ain't worth thinkin' about /// a truly pointless, wasteful exercise

whereas rootin' for dem huskies has a glorious point

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Life is short..do whatever makes you happy and don't worry about what ANY ONE thinks..Merry Xmas to the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
My favorite author. I've read everything he's written. His suicide made me cry. If you had a hard time with Infinite Jest give "The Pale King " a try. Good luck.
Also, remarkably I'm connected to DFW by only one degree of separation. There's a great flick about him called "The End of the Tour".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom